Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Frig in Outdoor Kitchen
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Frig in Outdoor Kitchen

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Catbirdmasters

Hillsboro, OH

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/20 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When traveling does the outdoor frig have power? The new unit we are looking in does not have access to the inside fridge with the slides fully closed.

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/20 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those outside kitchen fridges are usually 120v "dorm room" style fridges, so unless the trailer has a 120v inverter powered from the 12v batteries, it won't run unless you are plugged into shore power.

Sucks that the RV fridge is not accessible when the slide is in.. That was one must thing as well as being able to access the bathroom if the slide is in for me.. The only thing I can't access when the slide is all the way in, is the front bedroom... But, if you move the slide about a foot, you can squeeze thru.. [emoticon]

Anyway, I would only put drinks and such in the outsid fridge.. Not any food unless you were already parked and plugged in..

Good luck! Mitch
[image]

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

bigorange

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/20 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agree. Those that I’ve seen were AC power only.

Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/20 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ours outside kitchen Fridge is AC only but you can solve your problem with a cooler filled with drinks and sandwiches and replenish daily if going on a long trip but I agree....We looked for a unit that we would have access to the fridge, bathroom and bedroom with the slides in. We found what worked for us. There are a lot of RV's that provide access.

2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

You can't put a porcupine in a barn, set it on fire, and expect to make licorice.

Lwiddis

near Jawbone Canyon, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/20 06:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep looking in other units IMO.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/20 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

Ours outside kitchen Fridge is AC only but you can solve your problem with a cooler filled with drinks and sandwiches and replenish daily if going on a long trip but I agree....We looked for a unit that we would have access to the fridge, bathroom and bedroom with the slides in. We found what worked for us. There are a lot of RV's that provide access.

There are quite a few, but once you get into bigger units they become more scarce, with an island and opposing slides it takes smart layout to keep the fridge accessible and it amazes me how many fifth wheel layouts put the stairs on the driver's side blocked by a slide. When looking at ~32-35 foot rear living room layouts I'd day it's only about 20% of designs that are travel friendly (or as JD at Haylett says turtle friendly).

If you want to be able to actually cook on the road, well then it's even more limited in that range as the cooktop is almost always blocked.

2017 KZ Sportsmen Classic 181BH
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
E2 WDH

beemerphile1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/20 07:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our outside refrigerator is 120 volt ac but we do have an inverter so it could be powered if we want.

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/20 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All the outside kitchens we looked at were AC only.
We also ran into another issue, wanted double entry trailer which in most cases negated outside kitchen,especially the floorplan we liked.

Park someplace relatively level and bump the slide out, see RVers do it all the time.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Frig in Outdoor Kitchen
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.