Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: marginal park power on hot days
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> marginal park power on hot days

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/20 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, our PD EMS started cutting power around 11am today due to undervoltage. I finally got it to stop by turning off the converter and the fridge circuit breakers and turning the AC from high to low. So, if you're in a park with very marginal power try shedding as much load as you can. We'll turn the converter back on tonight to charge up the battery, I'll probably leave the fridge on propane as that barely uses any even if left on all weekend.

2017 KZ Sportsmen Classic 181BH
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
E2 WDH

dockmasterdave

florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/20 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a Hughes autoformer. If the voltage drops it kicks on and boosts my voltage back up to @120. I might only get 28 amps instead of 30 but my appliances are safe and my whole TT works.

2014 F 150 ecoboost
2010 F 150 4.6L
2007 ranger
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/20 02:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes and also set the water heater to propane only.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/20 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Low voltage will kill your electrical devices day or night. Don’t assume voltage will be higher at night. You need an autoformer. If that’s too expensive for you Hughes makes a $18 voltage meter. Watch and if below 108 disconnect IMO. You paid for RV park electric...but they are supplying inadequate, damaging power. Ask for a partial refund.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/20 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CGs like houses are usually wired to supply about 40-50% of the pedestals amp rating. Hence every summer low voltage is common with lots of A/Cs running.

In my experienc 50A pedestals are not likely to have low voltage due to better wiring and 12000W rating vs 3600W for 30A.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/20 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Yes and also set the water heater to propane only.

Not a problem here, my cheap little trailer only has propane for the water heater =)

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/20 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Hughes autoformer for just this reason. It boosts 10% when voltage drops to 113 and provides some surge protection. Much better than an expensive EMS that shuts you down.

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/20 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

I have a Hughes autoformer for just this reason. It boosts 10% when voltage drops to 113 and provides some surge protection. Much better than an expensive EMS that shuts you down.

The Hughes is about $150 more, not a huge deal but this solution works just fine for me and the PD did its job and kept the $900 AC from burning up, which is why I bought it =)

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/20 03:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

CGs like houses are usually wired to supply about 40-50% of the pedestals amp rating. Hence every summer low voltage is common with lots of A/Cs running.

In my experienc 50A pedestals are not likely to have low voltage due to better wiring and 12000W rating vs 3600W for 30A.

????

No, not true that CGs like "houses" are wired to supply 40%-50% of the service rating.

If it was there would be many more service entrance wiring fires.

I know myself when I personally rewired my entire house the wiring from the pole transformer IS much heavier than the 4/0 aluminum service entrance wire I used. My house originally had a 60A fuse box, I went with a 200A breaker panel.

We experienced a few yrs later during summer, low voltage issues, POCO checked the voltage at my box, at my meter and at the pole. They found the problem was BEFORE the pole that the transformer which service my house was on.

The explanation given was the POCO NEEDED to UPGRADE their high voltage lines feeding my neighborhood. The lines were not sufficient for the additional homes that been added since to lines were put in back in the 1930s.

As a "temporary fix", they installed voltage boosting transformers about 3 miles from my home in between the local substation. That was 25 yrs ago and they have never upgraded the lines.

As for campground pedestal posts, combo 50A/30A/20A boxes must be fed with heavy enough wire to be able to sustain 50A.

30A/20A Pedestal posts must be fed with heavy enough wire to be able to sustain 30A.

If the campground has a long loop or run then that wire must be able to sustain the total of all the pedestal posts on that run or loop. This often means high voltage pole or underground wiring with distribution transformers spaced as needed.

What you are really seeing in campgrounds with low voltage is an issue BEFORE the campgrounds wiring, in other words, it is the POCOs lines which are not sufficient for the more modern heavy loads.

Now, in some cases, you might find the 50A plug in socket a bit less problematic and that means the 30A socket (and perhaps breaker) is worn out and needs to be replaced and that is on the campground management to fix.

You can connect a 30A RV to a 50A socket provided you use a 50A to 30A dog bone adapter and that is what I do to avoid the worn out 30A sockets. I started doing that after noticing my 30A plug starting to melt..

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/20 03:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Afidel- sounds like you found a way to make it work. Low voltage will definitely kill a A/C unit. An RV repair center not to far from me replaces a bunch ever year for that very reason.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> marginal park power on hot days
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.