Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Has anyone added an extra water tank to RV roof
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Has anyone added an extra water tank to RV roof

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Jonathan92028

Fallbrook

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/20 02:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,
everyone I’m new to this website and was hoping to get your advice.
I have a 25’ Class C four winds RV with a e450.
Because I do lots of boondocking and have issues finding water, I wanted to add a 48 gallon water tank to my roof. I realize there’s some negatives and I’m curious what you thought or have experienced. I do not tow anything, I do realize it will add an extra 400lbs to my RV and center of gravity will possibly be effected. I plan to spread the load over several roof supports . [image]

The tank is Clear plastic allows you to see the water level easily. Tank measures 64 1/2" L x 18" W x 12" deep.

Any feedback ? , has anyone tried this.

rdhetrick

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/20 03:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd be nervous putting that much weight on the roof. I would try to find somewhere in one of the compartments below and put lawn chairs or something like that on the roof or strapped to the ladder.

Rob
2006 Mandalay 40E Full Time
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/20 03:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't have an answer for you.
However, I would be concerned about the additional weight and the impact on the COG.
Are you planning on filling the tank at home and driving to your destination or filling near your destination?
You'll have a little over 400 pounds with the weight of the tank.
But, once you start bouncing down the road the dynamics will change quickly. And momentarily you will have much more than 400 pounds which could be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

It may also affect the handling of your RV.
I would carry 5 gallon jugs inside the RV, you can store them outside
When you get to your destination.

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/20 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you decide against trying that, have you considered an Idaho Tote or Freedom Hauler

Nearly 3000 lb capacity so haul all the water you want.
or, a cargo carrier.
cargo carrier
I would keep the weight to maybe 350, but that should still help you, and you could leave it empty most of the time , only filling when your getting close to your destination.
Happy motorin

* This post was edited 07/03/20 04:22pm by wanderingaimlessly *

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/20 03:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For short distances from a water source to a camp, I carry four 7 gal Reliance jugs on the rv floor.
To eliminate the lifting, I have a specific clean tub that I pour it into and a specific marine bilge pump that pumps it into the holding tank when needed. I just plug the bilge into my outside solar hookup. That's actually a 2 way 12v power source.

Re the roof: I would rather see that much weight on a front receiver rated at 500# or more if possible. Some of the TC guys carry it that way.

The other option would be an outside portable shower and use a stream as your water for washing .

I also bought from Amazon a portable rechargeable shower head and pump that is submersible in a 5 gal bucket. I have used that inside my shower using stream water. It actually works in the winter when I have winterized my lines. I just drain the gray tank right away.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/20 04:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RV structures are not known for being overbuilt and motorhome suspensions are also iffy.

I would look underneath to see if you could fit something between the frame in an unused area. Also check the weight ratings on the rig. Good chance, you don't have enough cargo capacity to add 500lb.

Do you tow a car? If not a small enclosed trailer might be a good idea.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/20 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“Some negatives” include adding 400 pounds plus tank weight to the highest point of the RV. How much did you determine this would raise your COG?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

ndrorder

Southwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/20 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are several 500 lb rated hitch carriers listed on amazon. Much better solution imho.

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/20 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Because water is a liquid it does not spread it's weight equal but if there is a point that a little lower or weaker it will put more of it's weight there.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/20 06:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It would affect the center of gravity some, raising it probably a couple or a few inches. Whether or not the roof structure would be safely able to carry the extra weight is a bigger concern; if it's a well-constructed RV, it ought to be able to, as it isn't enormously more than, say, a couple of air conditioners (the weight of which is less evenly distributed), but we all know that many RVs are not especially well-constructed.

If you do install it, be sure the tank is oriented lenghtwise rather than across the RV. If it's crosswise and half full, the water will slosh back and forth from side to side and could definitely cause handling issues or at least annoyances. Weight shift front to back is rather less of a problem--though still may be noticeable. Weight shift can, of course, be avoided by travelling with the tank either full or empty (as opposed to something in between).

All in all, I think a trailer mounted tank is a better idea (a "water buffalo" or something similar/smaller).

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Has anyone added an extra water tank to RV roof
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.