Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Buying RV that's been stored
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Buying RV that's been stored

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
rhudson1111

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/20 10:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello! So I'm looking at a 2001 National motorhome that the seller has had in storage for 1 year. Will I run into potential problems that I'd be less likely to have purchasing something not stored? I need a road-worthy rig at the time of purchase, so wonder after you let your motorhome sit for a year, can you just jump in and start it up? Would the natteries be dead like my car? Thanks!

Janss

Sedona, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/20 11:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I assume you mean the owner hasn't used or even started it for a year.

Batteries, tires, rodent damage, leaks from rain if it wasn't under-cover storage (mold if there have been any leaks), dried out seals, dirty engine oil. These are a few things I would be concerned about.

I would probably only buy a used motorhome that has been used. Then an owner knows if any problems arise. But that's just me.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

2 many 2

USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/20 11:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Expecting to jump in and drive a twenty year old RV with complete reliability regardless of storage or use history is not a working concept.
Sorry. [emoticon]

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/20 04:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If properly stored a year of not being used is not a big deal. You don't give much information as to whether or not the unit was plugged in while stored or whether or not it was under cover. Rodent damage can happen even in coaches that are lived in full time as well as roof leaks. Only a thorough inspection can answer your question.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/20 04:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 I,d hire a mobil rv tech to inspect the rv, look one up on the net in your area. if stored right. and inspection comes back ok. I,d buy one. now if its been outside in the weather just parked and forgotten about NO.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/20 06:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

midnightsadie wrote:

X2 I,d hire a mobil rv tech to inspect the rv, look one up on the net in your area. if stored right. and inspection comes back ok. I,d buy one. now if its been outside in the weather just parked and forgotten about NO.

Probably also want a mobile mechanic to check out the drivetrain and do a compression check. A dead motor, likely makes the MH worthless.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/20 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OH my, in storage for a year and it’s fallen apart. Check fluids and tire pressures and take it for a test drive.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
[url=https://i.

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/20 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

If properly stored a year of not being used is not a big deal. You don't give much information as to whether or not the unit was plugged in while stored or whether or not it was under cover. Rodent damage can happen even in coaches that are lived in full time as well as roof leaks. Only a thorough inspection can answer your question.

This, 100%.

In an earlier thread about how long diesel fuel lasts there were many examples of MHs, tractors, and other heavy equipment sitting for long periods of with no issues. One of those examples was me with my farm tractors that get used in the Spring then get parked until the following Spring - and they just sit under a shed roof in the off season.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

MountainAir05

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/20 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All RV are stored, don't know of anyone who keeps them on the road 24/7 and like all have stated, needs to be inspected. 20 year old vehicles are at the point of needing major repair/parts.

okhmbldr

oklahoma city

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/20 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stored or not, doesn't matter. Your job is to check out everything before purchase. If you like it and it's a good deal, then complete the purchase.

I recently purchased a 30 year old car with 77k miles. It had been stored the last 10 years and only driven 2100 miles during that 10 year period. The short story, everything worked well and I've driven it 3000 miles in four months. Interesting though, the more I drove it the better it ran.

Just understand it's 20 years old. Expect to repair something.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Buying RV that's been stored
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.