Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Melting wires
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Melting wires

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
vanswey

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/20 12:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2018 Springdale 24bhwe and my Dometic air conditioner just stopped working. I bought the trailer brand new and have used it for a total if 30 nights.

Everything was running fine then I noticed the breaker at the campsite had tripped. I thot nothing of it and reset the breaker and the trailer worked perfectly again. About 6 hours later the ac stopped working. I checked the campsite breaker and it had not tripped so I opened the fuse panel in the trailer to see if the breaker had tripped which it did not. However I looked at the wires going into the buss and a lot of them looked charred or melted. Any ideas how this would happen? Thank you!!

[image]

Beverley&Ken

Tottenham,Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/20 02:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Improperly tightened wire connections. Loose causing poor connections generating a lot of heat. Dangerous. If you're not 100% comfortable working with 120 volt AC wiring, get a professional to check it out.

Ken

2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/20 04:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

loose wires and low voltage at the campsite.

Time to ask about warranty since rv is new.

Have the dealership "discover" the issue.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Mike134

Elgin

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/20 05:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Loose wires will overheat

2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/20 06:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Ask but expect them to tell you it's operator error unless you can prove it was a faulty installation.

Did you check the voltage? Particularly on hot holiday weekends, it's common to get low voltage as the park is full and everyone is drawing a lot of power to run air/con units.

Yesterday the pedestal we are on went down to 96v. That will burn out electrical systems if you don't take action.

We have an autoformer that boosts the voltage the trailer sees by 10% but even that wasn't enough, so we pulled the generator out and got it back up to 118v until early evening when the voltage was back up.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/20 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agree, loose wires and low voltage, either one can cause that sort of damage. That is why the caution above that warranty might be denied unless you can prove installation error, which is going to be tough.

Either way, it is imperative that you get any melted/burned wires replaced, as they are now their very own fire hazard.

Given the horror stories about bad electricity at campgrounds, folks should at the very least have a volt meter to check and preferably monitor the power pedestal. A surge protector or even better, an auto former, is a good idea.

While you are at it, don't forget a water pressure regulator. One campground we stayed at warned everyone at checkin that the city water supplier insisted on delivering water at 150 psi, and not to hook up unless you had a regulator, as that pressure will burst every line in your RV. At another campground we were assigned a site at the bottom of the mountain, with their water supply at the top. The pressure from our hydrant was so high the nozzle-less white hose shot a stream of water a good 50 feet. I dunno what the pressure was, but it was well over the 80 psi RV plumbing is rated for.

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/20 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Definitely get the wires fixed/replaced before using again regardless of the cause.
Is it still under warranty? Might be simpler to handle yourself than having it sit at the dealer.
Once done, I would suggest you install a Progressive Industries EMS.
I think you are fortunate to have come out of this relatively unscathed.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/20 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

vanswey wrote:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a73D8-5pttcWTzY8BrCXgAzcdpEO3Beq/view?usp=drivesdk

Use this to post a photo:

http://photoposting.is-great.net/?i=1

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/20 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agree with all of above. Loose/bad wire connections equals resistance. And resistance and current equals heat. And it doesn't take much resistance to create a lot of heat. Everyone with an RV, new or not, should disconnect from power, throw the battery disconnect switch, and tighten every screw in the circuit breaker panel and fuse panel, AC hot, neutral, ground, and 12 volt. I found about half of mine not tightened correctly.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/20 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

friends did this melt down insurer paid for repair.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Melting wires
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.