Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Melting wires
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Melting wires

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/20 02:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GrandpaKip wrote:

I think you are fortunate to have come out of this relatively unscathed.

Having to possibly replace a 30 day old air conditioner is not what I'd call unscathed.

I agree he is lucky the RV did not burn down.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/20 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I replaced my charger converter and discovered the inbound AC hot wire was never tightened. I know RV's are slammed together cheaply, but WTH, you shove the wire in and forget to tighten the screw???

LVJJJ

NW WASHINGTON

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/20 05:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've found many a loose ground wire over the many years and many trailers behind me. Probably the most important wire of the whole bunch.

1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

kearlms

Rexburg, ID

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/20 06:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree on the loose wires. I go through all the wires at the panel in my TT at the beginning of the year and tighten them just to make sure this does not happen. Might be a good practice for your preventative maintenance check list each year. Sorry to hear this has happened.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/20 07:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everyone loves those detachable cords, (I hate them) but how many check the tightness of the wires behind the inlet? My guess is that nearly all are never checked and that is a connection within the Styrofoam and thin plywood walls. My inlet fell to the ground when I removed it, all screws were completely loose.

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/20 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Everyone loves those detachable cords, (I hate them) but how many check the tightness of the wires behind the inlet? My guess is that nearly all are never checked and that is a connection within the Styrofoam and thin plywood walls. My inlet fell to the ground when I removed it, all screws were completely loose.

I have converted two different trailers to the twist lock cord connector. One was the stupid mouse hole, and the other had a door and a small compartment you were expected to wad the cord up and stuff it into.

Now, I did the work myself and the connections on the back of the inlet and at the panel (and transfer switch on the last one) are all doubly tight. And I check them every year or so depending on usage. Every terminal, wire nut and connection in both the 12vdc and the 120vac system should be checked every year or more depending on how much the trailer or motor home gets used. Its all about rattling along down the road that loosens stuff up.

Charles

Need a new owner for my 2007 Winnebago View 523H on a '06 Sprinter 3500 chassis. 30k+ mi, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dymanics PD4645, Chill Grille, deep alum trans pan, Roadmaster sway bar.
Replaced by a '08 Thor FS180 travel trailer and 2003 Ram 2500 CTD 6 spd

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Melting wires
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.