Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Powermax 75 amp converter/charger
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Powermax 75 amp converter/charger

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/20 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good that it is 14.68 [emoticon] so see my note above re the 13 amps.

You can run more 12v loads as a test. If the battery is still accepting 13 amps on the battery monitor, and those loads are running ok, then the converter must be putting out more than 13 amps which the loads are using.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/20 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

S Davis wrote:

it just seems the amp output is low.
It's my understanding the batteries themselves determine what amperage they will accept.

S Davis

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/20 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

Good that it is 14.68 [emoticon] so see my note above re the 13 amps.

You can run more 12v loads as a test. If the battery is still accepting 13 amps on the battery monitor, and those loads are running ok, then the converter must be putting out more than 13 amps which the loads are using.

There are no loads on the bank when charging and I am using fluke digital meters for my volt and amp values. Maybe you are right and the batteries were at a higher state of charge, I was going by the Trojan specs. I will get a meter and check specific gravity.

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/20 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a point so you aren't chasing your tail. All meters are not 100% accurate. Even a Fluke Meter (often referred as the industry standard) can be off and need to be calibrated. Low batteries can cause inaccuracies, etc. So, most important for calibration is repeatability. That means if I take a measurement and I come back the next day, I should be within 2% or 3% or whatever the accuracy of the meter is. Just a point for anyone reading, cheap meters are just that, cheap. They can be off by 5% or more as standard accuracy. Each of my meters were $400 - $600, not cheap.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/20 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

13 amps is fine if you have 14.68 volts. This is why I recommend a smaller PowerMax with just two batteries. 35 amp would be fine.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

S Davis

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/20 04:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thermoguy wrote:

Just a point so you aren't chasing your tail. All meters are not 100% accurate. Even a Fluke Meter (often referred as the industry standard) can be off and need to be calibrated. Low batteries can cause inaccuracies, etc. So, most important for calibration is repeatability. That means if I take a measurement and I come back the next day, I should be within 2% or 3% or whatever the accuracy of the meter is. Just a point for anyone reading, cheap meters are just that, cheap. They can be off by 5% or more as standard accuracy. Each of my meters were $400 - $600, not cheap.

Good point, I am a HVAC/R tech and recalibrate my meters regularly.

S Davis

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/20 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

13 amps is fine if you have 14.68 volts. This is why I recommend a smaller PowerMax with just two batteries. 35 amp would be fine.

Ok thanks, I have a total of four but only use a pair at a time until I get the rest of the charging system done and the inverter installed.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/20 05:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

That's if you don't mind another hour of gen time to do a 50-90 per my ugly graph above. And if the campground gen hours let you. Of course on shore power you don't care about the time it takes.

Then there is the dreaded 20% charging rate in Bulk for AGMs so a 35 amper being 20% means the bank is 175AH or less. The OP does not have AGMs though.

I did find that low and slow was how to recharge Marine/RV batts to true full, which don't like a high charging rate. But you have to maintain the low amps and keep charging till they reach 16v. Now the hydrometer says you are there and can drop to float. No wonder people have poor luck with those things using a 14.4v converter [emoticon]

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/20 06:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A precision 10 ppm zener diode can be used as. A go no-go tester. Need an adjustable power supply and No Meaning Zero ripple

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/20 08:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

time2roll wrote:

That's if you don't mind another hour of gen time to do a 50-90 per my ugly graph above. And if the campground gen hours let you. Of course on shore power you don't care about the time it takes.

Then there is the dreaded 20% charging rate in Bulk for AGMs so a 35 amper being 20% means the bank is 175AH or less. The OP does not have AGMs though.

I did find that low and slow was how to recharge Marine/RV batts to true full, which don't like a high charging rate. But you have to maintain the low amps and keep charging till they reach 16v. Now the hydrometer says you are there and can drop to float. No wonder people have poor luck with those things using a 14.4v converter [emoticon]
OK and within a few minutes the OP is down to 13 AMPS into the FLOODED batteries. 75 might shave a few seconds.

Yes a battery with lower internal resistance such as AGM or Lithium will charge at a higher rate and charge faster on the 75 amp converter. Trying to relate to the OP's situation.

From above:
S Davis wrote:

The initial readings are within a min or two of hooking up the charger so I thought at 30% discharge the batteries would be accepting more amps.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Powermax 75 amp converter/charger
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.