Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: winching a trencher - UPDATE w/photos
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> winching a trencher - UPDATE w/photos

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/20 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just bought a self-propelled (meaning me) Brave trencher. It does a good job, but it's heavy and really hard on my back. I was thinking of hooking it up to a winch to pull it.

Anyone know anything about this sort of arrangement?

* This post was edited 07/23/20 12:30pm by 2oldman *

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/20 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't see why it couldn't be done. Elcheapo 12V winch from harbor freight mounted to a hitch on the truck and some kind of bracket on the trencher. 25' of winch line,lounge chair and a beer...or iced tea...have at it.

2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/20 02:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At brothers place we had to trench over 1/4 mile for water line. He rented a machine that had to dig max depth. Any time the tracks slipped machine wanted to get off course. We chained a pickup to it left in drive just keep tension on it. Made the trench much straighter.

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/20 04:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jetboater454 wrote:

Elcheapo 12V winch from harbor freight mounted to a hitch on the truck
So a winch can be mounted on a hitch?
JRscooby wrote:

We chained a pickup to it left in drive just keep tension on it. Made the trench much straighter.
Cool. Whereabouts on the trencher did you attach the chain?

I'm leaning more toward a 120v model to be run by a portable generator.
It's only rated at 1500lb, but the motor draws "less than" 10 amperes at full load. That's a whopping amount of juice, and a similar 12v unit would draw 100amps. That would kill a battery very quickly and I'm sure things would get hot.

I'm wondering if some of these winches rated at say, 12,000 lb, are severely overrated.

* This post was edited 07/04/20 04:36pm by 2oldman *

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/20 07:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most cheap winches at HF can be bolted to a plate. I think HF even has a winch plate on a receiver that just slips into the hitch. Kind of depends on how much you want to spend and if you have other uses for it.
And as far as attaching it to the trencher,HF has some decent cheap welders.A guy can never have too many tools.[emoticon]

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/20 06:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

jetboater454 wrote:

Elcheapo 12V winch from harbor freight mounted to a hitch on the truck
So a winch can be mounted on a hitch?
JRscooby wrote:

We chained a pickup to it left in drive just keep tension on it. Made the trench much straighter.
Cool. Whereabouts on the trencher did you attach the chain?

I'm leaning more toward a 120v model to be run by a portable generator.
It's only rated at 1500lb, but the motor draws "less than" 10 amperes at full load. That's a whopping amount of juice, and a similar 12v unit would draw 100amps. That would kill a battery very quickly and I'm sure things would get hot.

I'm wondering if some of these winches rated at say, 12,000 lb, are severely overrated.

IIRC, we just looped a chain thru the tiedown loops.
In general when looking at winches and there ratings remember the rating is max. My 2500 lb winch will only pull that the first layer of cable. And at that load, the line only moves 2.7 feet per minute. Then when you figure in the duty cycle, you can't do much at max load. Mine, the duty cycle calls for max 45 seconds of max output than cool down for 15 min. So you need to stop after you move the load 24 inches. And at max pull, it draws over 130 amps.

Not sure I stand under what you are trying to do with the winch. If you force the machine groundspeed faster than it can cut, it will just tilt to reduce depth of cut. Because we where cutting as deep as the machine would reach the bar was to straight up and down to work as rudder. So we needed something to keep it in straight line

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/20 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Not sure I stand under (sic) what you are trying to do with the winch.
Pull the trencher to save my back. Don't want to pull faster than it can cut.

I'm thinking the 120v model might be better so as not to suck over 100 amps and perhaps not have to cool down.

I've been looking at an elastic rope too. Tie to car, stretch out. That would give me some help.

* This post was edited 07/05/20 12:29pm by 2oldman *

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/20 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

I've been looking at an elastic rope too. Tie to car, stretch out. That would give me some help.

Why do I see that elastic rope stretched out,you between the car and trencher,straddling the rope.....well you can imagine what may happen.[emoticon][emoticon]

I guess no kids (High school age)around to help.

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/20 02:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe I'll wear my hockey goalie outfit.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/20 05:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What I see; winch, rope. whatever pulls the machine. This will tilt the machine, make it cut less deep. The operator will have to lift to get the bar back down.
How much trenching you need to do? Sounds like you need to talk to the local HS football coach.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> winching a trencher - UPDATE w/photos
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.