Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: RV Shopping
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> RV Shopping

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
bobsallyh

Livingston, TX.

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/20 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No matter what you look at, be sure to bring the slides in and see what you can or cannot do with them in. Can I get to the pottie etc.

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/20 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No brand advice from me, but dealer advice: stay far away from Camping World. My buddy just today told me his horror story. [emoticon] I wish I'd known when he was shopping for a 5th wheel, because I would have warned him too!

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. --Benjamin Franklin
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Golfhacker64

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/20 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve been to CW previously, no worries. I was in the car business for 17 years before getting into IT. It’s hard to get one by me. Thanks for the heads up.

8ntw8tn

Southeast Iowa & Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/20 05:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll just pass on some advice that was given to us many years ago when we were in a similar situation: open every door and drawer and close it with normal force as you move throughout the RV. If it rattles or sounds hollow...pass. It's most likely not made for living in the length of time you're anticipating. For us, it was good advice and well heeded. Hope this helps.

'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg

Golfhacker64

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/20 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks

Retired JSO

North Georgia Mountains

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/20 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Price and weight are construction oriented. Higher priced trailers will have a solid fiberglass shower, porcelain toilet and probably a home style refrigerator. Most will have 7k axles and a aftermarket pin box, fiberglass sides and the forward half of the trailer frame double stacked I-beams with G rated tires. Our Cardinal 2018 3350LX listed for $95K and we took it for $59K out the door in November 2018, last one they had.

C Schomer

Pueblo West, Co.

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/20 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My last two fivers have been the best quality and the best bargains and they were private sales. IMO, older is much better quality. We went to several spring RV shows in the Phoenix area three years ago and it was very hard to find anything but pressed wood and pressed paper in even the hundred thousand dollar fifth wheels. On the other hand, it's hard to find any pressed wood in my 0 8 fifth wheel… Materials and build quality are excellent. The previous owner of my fifth wheel paid 54,000+ taxes when it was new and I bought it from him for 25,000 when it was five years old. If you're confident in doing your own inspection, private sales are the best. Craig

2012 Dodge dually diesel. CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WHOEVER INVENTED WORK DIDN'T HAVE AN RV!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> RV Shopping
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.