Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Neighbors Wouldn’t Help
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Neighbors Wouldn’t Help

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
mr. ed

Tucson AZ

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/20 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few days ago my 80 yr old friend called me and requested a ride to the VA medical center since he was feeling quite ill. He.s handicapped and uses. a walker. He managed to get his walker into my van as he usually does, but when he tried to get into the front seat he couldn’t get his left leg in as he usually does, with some effort. Being handicapped myself, I couldn’t assist at all. Several minutes passed as he kept trying without success. It was a very hot day here in Tucson and I could see he was suffering greatly in his struggles to get seated.

I noticed a window open in his neighbor’s house and could hear activity inside. I honked my horn and tried yelling for help. The neighbor’s response was to promptly close the window. About the same time I spotted a man & woman walking down he street. I yelled to them for help and I knew they heard me because they looked my way, but they elected to continue their walk.

Now the situation was getting desperate, so I called 911. A few minutes later a fire truck rolled up and 2 firemen wearing protective gear managed to get him into my vehicle.
Now I’m thinking, since I was wearing a face mask, did the mask muffle my voice enough so that I wasn’t clearly heard when yelling for help? Or was it clearly a case of people not wanting to get involved?

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/20 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr. ed wrote:

2 firemen wearing protective gear
This might point to part of the answer to your question. Not everyone is willing to risk their health or life to help a stranger.

mr. ed

Tucson AZ

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/20 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BCSnob wrote:

mr. ed wrote:

2 firemen wearing protective gear
This might point to part of the answer to your question. Not everyone is willing to risk their health or life to help a stranger.

Yes, I kinda thought of that, too. It’s too bad, but I guess I shouldn’t blame them. In my case, I would have approached to see what was needed.. In my friend’s case it was just a matter of lifting his leg a little, and he would have gotten in. But that’s just the way I am. Anyhow, all’s well that ends well . BTW, he did test positive for the virus, I found out later. I’m waiting now for a testing appointment. When they took my friend’s temp, it was a normal 98.6 deg F, so he was having other health issues at the time, evidently. He’s been through a lot of issues during his later years, such as 2 hip replacements and colon surgery for cancer.

p220sigman

Tallahassee, FL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/20 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most likely a case of not wanting to get involved. Unfortunately, we see that more and more as society in general (in my opinion) has gotten less likely to get involved. Cause? Litigation, apathy, fear, and I'm sure about a thousand other reasons. Personally, I try to help where I can.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/20 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think it can all be blamed on the virus.
Last winter I was stopped behind a city bus. A woman got off, and when bus pulled away she stepped on the windrow from snow plow, fell, and landed in the stream of ice water. It took me a few seconds to see she was having trouble getting up. Over 70 myself, and standing on ice, I could not pick her up. Probably 2 dozen vehicles went by before more help got out of vehicle. When she was standing, I asked how far she had to walk. About 6 blocks. I'm thinking about wet in low 30s and how many more snowbanks, offered her a ride. She look like stranger danger. Before she could say no, I asked the younger lady that helped in she would follow us.
When I got to our weekly get-to-gather I got some towels to dry the seat, most of the guy said I should of only called 911.
No, I will not stay in the room while they pray.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/20 03:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sadly though the protective gear MAY have been a factor.

There are a lot of people who "Turn their heads and quickly look away"
Or Run away.

How long has this been the case?

Sadly there are not enough Good Samaritan'se in this world.

* This post was edited 07/06/20 04:21pm by an administrator/moderator *

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/20 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They could have responded even if they didn't want to help, but I'd have to give them a pass w Covid, esp in a hotspot. It's one thing lending a hand, quite another risking your life.

I hope your friend recovers and you're negative.

navigator2346

texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/20 08:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good for mr.ed. One of these days you will be rewarded for your good deed

mr. ed

Tucson AZ

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/20 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cptqueeg wrote:

They could have responded even if they didn't want to help, but I'd have to give them a pass w Covid, esp in a hotspot. It's one thing lending a hand, quite another risking your life.

I hope your friend recovers and you're negative.

Thank you. And I agree; I would have at least found out what the situation was, and then make a decision whether or not to help. Knowing myself, I probably would have offered assistance while seeing if there was any way to limit my exposure. If I couldn’t do that, I’d offer to call 911 if it wasn’t called already.

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/20 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A population that lacks empathy would be my guess.

Just last month entering Walmart, watched a 93yr old woman trip and go down hard. 4 of us ran to rescue her and shortly was approached by an employee who said we were in violation of the restrictions and can we please move.

Luckily one of the witnesses that helped was a paramedic and ordered the employee to call rescue squad.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Neighbors Wouldn’t Help
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.