Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Neighbors Wouldn’t Help
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Neighbors Wouldn’t Help

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
rbtglove

Beavercreek OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/20 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are a very good person to help your friend. Most locations have pickup service for veterans that are free and can accommodate veterans with disabilities. I can still drive and use our base hospital so I have never used the service but I have a friend that does.

Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/20 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Honking your horn is probably the absolute worst way to request help. The passer-bys and your neighbor probably thought you were some kind of a yahoo being a jerk'
I wouldn't be to judgmental.
As earlier noted the VA has transportation available and so does Medicaid.

mr. ed

Tucson AZ

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pitch wrote:

Honking your horn is probably the absolute worst way to request help. The passer-bys and your neighbor probably thought you were some kind of a yahoo being a jerk'
I wouldn't be to judgmental.
As earlier noted the VA has transportation available and so does Medicaid.

With all due respect, I disagree with you, Pitch. Honking the horn briefly is a good way to get attention in a perceived emergency situation, especially if you feel your voice is muffled. I’d do it again if necessary.
I wasn’t aware that Va would supply transportation, so thanks for that, and thanks to the other respondent who mentioned that, also.

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

doxiemom11

Paris Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/20 06:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are usually county commissions on aging that have volunteers who will driver seniors to and from doctor appointments. The volunteers are paid mileage from the county funds for this program. They also have volunteer companions who can visit once per week and take you to get your hair done, go to the bank, grocery store, or just sit and play a board game, read you a book etc. My understanding is that these are federally funded programs so should be available in every state.

cougar28

Lowell,AR USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/20 08:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would have help no ? ask. I do live out in the country. I know all my neighbors and they all have my phone # if they need help. I've help out many times with health and other things.

2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/20 04:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

doxiemom11 wrote:

There are usually county commissions on aging that have volunteers who will driver seniors to and from doctor appointments. The volunteers are paid mileage from the county funds for this program. They also have volunteer companions who can visit once per week and take you to get your hair done, go to the bank, grocery store, or just sit and play a board game, read you a book etc. My understanding is that these are federally funded programs so should be available in every state.

While I think it is good that there is gov assistance might be available, I do not think that is a reason not to help if needed.
Somebody said honking horn is not a way to attract attention. Once on a job site that was scattered over half section, a horn honking SOS, (or OSO,?) got help to somebody that needed it.
OT
Often I have heard people say the panic button on your car remote is great if you are in trouble. Often even in a camp ground a car alarm just causes people to look to see who the rectum is. But I was in a state park when a woman scream. Within seconds, there was at least a dozen men on her site. There was a raccoon in her tent trailer.

* This post was edited 07/13/20 06:17am by an administrator/moderator *

FlatBroke

CO/AZ

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/20 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The way things are going I guess your lucky the firemen came.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/20 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When people step in to help me down here the first thing I say is No tengo simtomas.

I do not have symtoms.

Lift by the arm pit not the cough suppressing elbows

Tell them to hold their breath. You do the same

Lift from the rear if possible

Disinfect with Gel Alcohol ASAP.

Clothes go into laundry when you get home.

Anyone who goes around in public without a mask is a fool.

Outside with few people around aerosols will be highly diluted. Droplets would be the main hazard. If the victim is coughing they have to tough it out until the pros arrive. [emoticon]

What a sad situation we must endure

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Neighbors Wouldn’t Help
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.