Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: Blow-out ...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Blow-out ...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/20 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Desert Captain wrote:

Don't forget a pair of jack stands {or at least one} unless you are willing to bet your life and limbs on your jack and the surface it sits on.

[emoticon]

Over the years I have changed a lot of tires, on many vehicles. Other using some jacks with some vehicles, I have never had to get under to change a tire. And doing a lot of other work, I have set many vehicles on stands. Could never do that without at least reaching under the vehicle. IMHO, for a tire change, a stand increases not reduces the danger.

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/20 04:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A tire blowout on my trailer is something I don't worry about because I run truck tires and not those cheap ST tires. I can use my trailer's jacks to raise the tire off the ground or a 16 ton bottle jack I carry. I don't worry about a lug wrench as I use a battery operated hammer wrench that removes lug nuts with ease. The only tire issue I've ever had was a blowout on my truck due to a failed valve stem. Other than that, my trailer tires have been trouble free.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/20 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azdryheat wrote:

A tire blowout on my trailer is something I don't worry about because I run truck tires and not those cheap ST tires. I can use my trailer's jacks to raise the tire off the ground or a 16 ton bottle jack I carry. I don't worry about a lug wrench as I use a battery operated hammer wrench that removes lug nuts with ease. The only tire issue I've ever had was a blowout on my truck due to a failed valve stem. Other than that, my trailer tires have been trouble free.

Thats good for you , but some dont have the option of getting truck tires. Or have jacks on there trailor that can lift it. I have a bottle jack , lol!

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/20 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Desert Captain wrote:

Don't forget a pair of jack stands {or at least one} unless you are willing to bet your life and limbs on your jack and the surface it sits on.

[emoticon]

Over the years I have changed a lot of tires, on many vehicles. Other using some jacks with some vehicles, I have never had to get under to change a tire. And doing a lot of other work, I have set many vehicles on stands. Could never do that without at least reaching under the vehicle. IMHO, for a tire change, a stand increases not reduces the danger.

They are also known as safety stands for the folks who don't know jack... [emoticon]

You assume everyone has a tandem axle trailer and I can assure you those of us with a single axle trailer need to use one for obvious reasons. A tandem axle trailer has the support of the non flat tire, true that but... You still need to jack the trailer up about 4 - 6" just to be able get the spare back on and if that jack fails you could end up with the nick name "lefty".

I can shove my jack/safety stand under the frame without crawling under, a piece of 2 X 6" works fine for that. If the ground gives or the jack fails the frame rests securely on the stand.
I'm not a fan of using leveling jacks to lift any trailer but that is just me... they are not engineered/designed to do it but will in a pinch... which is what you just might get if something goes south.

When you get free advice {most of what you find here on the Forum} you do indeed get what you paid for so take or leave it.

[emoticon]

Jack_Diane_Freedom

Burlington Ontario Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/20 05:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't forget to get the torque wrench on those lug nuts asap if you have not already done so.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Blow-out ...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.