Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Insurance Coverage facts wanted:
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Insurance Coverage facts wanted:

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 06:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

specta wrote:

Call your insurance agent and ask them.

x2

With all due respect, I'd bet the odds are very slim that anyone on this forum is YOUR insurance agent! [emoticon]

Happy travels!

No doubt. I have my paper work out and a call in. Just wanted some other input from those with first hand experience, not looking for advice. To me, it's a better discussion then the tired back and forth over who's truck can haul what. Just posing a question. [emoticon]

"> 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

It doesn’t take a truck camper to put a vehicle over it’s GVWR. If you are interested in overweight vehicles, look for overloaded cars, suvs, RVs, and pickups irrespective of a TC in the bed or not. It would be simpler to find examples if you look for all vehicle types.

Given this is the TC forum, I figured I'd stay on topic. It's also a smaller segment of the greater web. I like to think, or kid myself, that the BS is a little thinner here and the IQ's are a bit higher and more stable. If I wanted tales of a B2200 hauling a Mammoth 11.5 while towing a D9 from a guy that swears his only mod was swapping Goodyear's for Michelin's , I'd go to Google. [emoticon]

jimh425 wrote:

If you are worried about liability based on payload, it’s simple. Buy a TC small enough or a truck with a big enough payload to handle all that you will carry.

Not worried. And not the question posed.

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

Call your insurance agent and ask them.

Yep, on it.
Just want to hear the real world experience of others.

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 06:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ranger Tim wrote:

I work for one of these organizations. I have never heard of POE or police weighing private vehicles involved in traffic accidents. This does not mean it won't happen though.

If you are driving a commercial vehicle then you will be held to a higher standard and can expect to be heavily scrutinized, at least in Idaho.

Thank you for posting. [emoticon]

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 06:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

You will not find what you are seeking here. If someone were found at fault and left holding the bag by their insurance company, they have absolutely no reason to be here, so they aren't here. On the off chance that they were not completely turned off of camping by the experience and on the off chance they participate here, they will be legally bound by an NDA and cannot reveal any details of the settlement.

I know if I were left hanging by the insurance company, that would be the end of my camping career.

[emoticon][emoticon] [emoticon] [emoticon] [emoticon] Yeah, that would be understandable!!! At least not if they weren't short a few cans to make a case. [emoticon]

Supercharged111

Colorado Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 06:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So my 1131 policy is an add-on to my K3500's policy. When I added said coverage, no concerns were raised. I added the coverage more out of concern for hail and getting run into rather than me running into someone. I can't speak to any claims processes to date and hope never to.

2007 Lance 1131
1997 GMC K3500 crew cab supercharged dually

STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/20 07:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a MH, not a TC. I usually run 500 - 600 pounds over GVWR but still manage to stay within my GAWRs. I was rear ended by a new Hyundai while driving down the road at 50 mph. Messed up my bumper, trailer hitch, and the 2 rear compartment doors. It totaled the Hyundai. The LEO did not ever ask anything about weight. Neither did the other driver's insurance company. My insurance company (Country Preferred) handled everything with the other company (Geico).

1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

northshore

northshore

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First off, I have nothing but personal experience to offer.
We were towing a travel trailer, I don't believe we were over weight.
We were towing over the Tehachapi Mts in California. a guy passed us as we were passing a truck he got caught between our trailer and the divider.
CHP responded, No witnesses stopped, actually no one stopped except us and the other guy.
CHP deemed it as a no fault accident. No questions about the truck/trailer None.
His vehicle was pretty roughed up the trailer lost a running light, really no other damage... some tire marks but no dents no scratches.
The other guy had relative lawyer in LA and sued, the insurance company took care of everything. Never a question about the truck/trailer. The travel trailer had no other insurance other than that it was being towed by our truck that was insured. Our Insurance company is State Farm.
The other guy sued cause months later his dog died ( he was in the car) and was traumatized, sued for diminished value, and of course to repair his vehicle, State Farm took care of everything.
We ended up having a trial went to court. Not one word about the Travel trailer / truck, nothing about weights, nothing about any thing about the trailer/ truck.

All of this "pain in the rear" situation and not one word about the truck and trailer. Of course there was no deaths or injuries(besides the dog) I thought State Farm was very good about the whole thing.
I know this does not answer truck camper weights, weight police, and all of that. Just real life hi way accident and how it went.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Insurance Coverage facts wanted:
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.