Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Paid Caravans to Alaska Worth it?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Paid Caravans to Alaska Worth it?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Tequila

Canada - Summer, Mexico - Winter

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/20 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i must admit I have never been unable to understand why people take commercial caravans in Canada & the US, Mexico I can understand, different language and culture, different laws and no large RV parking lots next to attractions. I have notice some don't even travel as a group, they just tell them where to meet for the stop. The only real advantage I see is having RV parks reserved for you

chuckbear

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/20 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Coming from the boating community, we often would get two to ten boats together that were heading in the same direction. Many were new boaters that just wanted the security of having someone else along. We all got together before each leg of the trip and discussed our departure, route and stops. If anyone wanted to go their separate ways, we wished them a safe passage. We traveled together for the most part and often agreed to stops and side trips. Everyone paid their own expenses. We would make marina reservations as a group for each stop. These same things can be accomplished with an RV. Just start asking around and posting in RV forums. I would bet you could put a group together and keep your ten grand in the bank for a while. You would also probably find some experienced RVers or folks that have made the trip before to help lead the group. Good luck in whatever your choice is. Chuck

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/20 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even after living in the big city for a long time, I'd far rather be in Grande Prairie trying to plan a route to Dawson Creek than in Katy, TX trying to figure out the best way to pull a 39' fifth wheel through Ewe-stun to Louisiana.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

sljohnson1938

Mount Airy, NC - USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/20 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deleted by poster - me

* This post was edited 07/15/20 07:12am by sljohnson1938 *

1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S

Tee Jay

The Peninsula, Kenai & Olympic

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/20 09:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PA12DRVR wrote:

Even after living in the big city for a long time, I'd far rather be in Grande Prairie trying to plan a route to Dawson Creek than in Katy, TX trying to figure out the best way to pull a 39' fifth wheel through Ewe-stun to Louisiana.

What a hoot! One road, divided, 2 lanes each way, Grande Prairie to Dawson Creek. Narrows and gets a bit slow at Pouce Coupe.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Paid Caravans to Alaska Worth it?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.