Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Vehicle for Towing
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Vehicle for Towing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
JonnyRibz

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/20 06:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good Evening, So I own a 2020 Coleman Lantern 295QB the dry weight is just under 6,300 lbs and with my household items it comes in at around 7,050 lbs. I'm trying to find a vehicle for towing it, I'm trying to avoid buying a truck and stick to an SUV. The 2 SUVs I'm stuck on are the 2017-2020 Nissan Armada and a 2016-2020 Chevy Tahoe Police. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/20 07:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I owned a 2001, 2007 and 2015 Tahoe and don’t believe towing over 6000 pounds is advisable.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/20 08:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Neither are going to provide a very good towing experience. General rule of thumb is 110" of wheelbase is good for 20' of travel trailer, each 4" beyond that gets you a foot of trailer. So the Armada at just under 122" would be well matched to a trailer 23' or under. The Excursion at nearly 138" would be closer at around 27' of optimal trailer length. 33' would really be best with a crew cab full bed pickup (mine has 153" wheelbase) or a heavy duty pickup.

2017 KZ Sportsmen Classic 181BH
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
E2 WDH

parcany

Arizona City

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/20 08:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I towed a 35 foot 6 inch Jayco with a Ford Excursion. Towed like a dream as long as the wdh is set up properly. I would go with the Chevy Police cause just about everything in Heavy Duty

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/20 08:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Out of the box the Armada if you get the lower profile tires and IRS will handle the trailer better.

The Tahoe will handle like garbage with the squishy tires GM puts on them.

However,some stiffer LT tires and a perfectly installed WD hitch... Possibly some better tuned shocks and the Tahoe does pretty good.

Mine took some fiddling but it handles great now (like it's on rails)

Thanks and good luck!

Jeremiah

TV- 2011 Chevy Tahoe, 2WD, Hayden transmission cooler
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control
Tekonsha Voyager brake controller (Great Brake Controller)

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/20 04:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wife said the same thing...... now loves my f150 though id bed an expidition max could do it if you watch the payload and dont mind spending double what an f150 with the same setup would cost.

Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/20 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ll tow dang near anything with dang near anything but don’t necessarily recommend the same for those with less experience.
Either rig you propose will handle a trailer that size from a power and drivetrain standpoint.
However, that is a long trailer for a short wheelbase vehicle. And generally suv rear suspensions are softer than pickups which will be somewhat of a hinderance imo in this case.
I’ve tugged our 32’ enclosed trailer up the mountain with an old Tahoe just because. It handles it ok, for me, But I understand that in an oh sh-t situation, the Tahoe would be a little out-gunned.
My preference would be a longer wheelbase pickup. Half ton is fine.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/20 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What do you tow it with now? And what have you towed in the past?
To do it with a short suv, make sure you have a good wdh setup correctly, sway control a bonus and trailer brakes adjusted properly and know how to use em.
As mentioned, stout and or lower profile tires help handling as well.

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/20 01:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2500HD will make towing that trailer fun and most likely handle your next trailer with ease.

Campfire Time

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/20 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check the payload. Your tongue weight is going to be in the neighborhood of 900#, add that the weight of the hitch and you're close to or over 1000#. Some SUVs have low payloads. If one you look at is say, 1300# then you might be cutting things close.

I always avoided PUs. I loved my Suburbans. But now that I have a crew cab truck, I can't imagine going back to a big SUV.

Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid, 2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Vehicle for Towing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.