Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Pet Peeves long road trip
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Pet Peeves long road trip

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/20 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I covered Oregon and Washington for my sales job and did a lot of driving. At the outset, I would speed and confront other drivers. My mood was usually sour when I arrived at my destination. I changed. I drove the speed limit so I didn't have to look over my shoulder and was overly courteous to every other driver. When something happened I shined it on and didn't let it bother me. I found that I arrived at the same time and was more productive when I got there.

I do the same with my trailer in tow, relax and be courteous. Can't imagine driving 5,000 miles in a foul mood. After all, I'm on vacation.

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/20 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kevinwa wrote:

Lots in This thread have stated that the vehicle on the main highway has the right of way. For my jurisdiction and most others that post their rules online it is a shared responsibility and the vehicle on the main highway is supposed to move to the left lane unless unsafe to do so. Maybe even the so called experts on merging need to brush up on proper technique.

https://www.alberta.ca/entering-and-exiting-a-major-roadway.aspx

In the USA, the person merging into the highway has to yield. So the right of way are the people allready on the highway. Nothing shared here, and no moving over required.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/20 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes it truly amazes me how many will avoid the open space and try to merge into my door handle. One tried to merge between my truck and trailer. Her insurance paid dearly and at the scene she clearly had no idea she was wrong. Her passengers informed her she was at fault as did the officer after waiting for an hour since she insisted on a report to prove her innocence.

And of course the person merging is often in a battle of the existing traffic doing the squeeze play to force them back. I don't think RVs or large vehicles do this but maybe they still expect it hence coming at the side panel.

Then there is the platoon coming off the red light with 30 cars accelerating to merge on and driving bumper to bumper as if driving NASCAR at Daytona. Leave some space people.

Can't we all just get along?

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Kevinwa

Western canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/20 06:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sjm9911 wrote:

Kevinwa wrote:

Lots in This thread have stated that the vehicle on the main highway has the right of way. For my jurisdiction and most others that post their rules online it is a shared responsibility and the vehicle on the main highway is supposed to move to the left lane unless unsafe to do so. Maybe even the so called experts on merging need to brush up on proper technique.

In the USA, the person merging into the highway has to yield. So the right of way are the people allready on the highway. Nothing shared here, and no moving over required.

You are right, I just looked up the driver manual for your state. I learn something every day!

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/20 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kevinwa wrote:

Sjm9911 wrote:

Kevinwa wrote:

You are right, I just looked up the driver manual for your state. I learn something every day!

All good i learn something new everyday also, i just forget more then i learn. Go figure.

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/20 11:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

On ramp problems are by far the most irritating to me....”hit the gas, dope!”

Yup, I gross 5 tons and have a giant sail behind me and I can hit the speed limit by the end of the ramps, what is your excuse!

As far as cruising speed, I do 68, fast enough that once I pass the semis that are governed to 65 I'm not playing leapfrog games but I'm still within the rating of my tires, in a decent range for fuel economy (11.1mpg over 30k miles), and off of the cops radar. I also use the #2 lane from the right in urban areas unless I'm using the HoV lane.

2017 KZ Sportsmen Classic 181BH
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
E2 WDH

bigorange

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/20 12:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1320Fastback wrote:

Merging is a serious problem with the majority of drivers. They simply do not understand they need to be at the highways minimum speed by the time they merge. They also do not understand the car that is already on the freeway has the right of way under all circumstances and they need to avoid it.

The last time I remember getting pulled over I was in the right lane and didn’t yield to the merging vehicle. I asked the cop if I was in the wrong...answer was that we both were and I was easier to pull over...whatever. LoL

Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/20 05:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't look for trouble but as many of those bastids have pulled out right in front of me I just do what I do. If they want to do something stupid it will be on my dash cam.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/20 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azdryheat wrote:

Every once in a while I like to not move over or slow down (because I don't have to) and watch what the car does coming up the ramp.

And there lies the problem, attitudes like yours.

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/20 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Dutch_12078 wrote:

I've found in general when I'm merging on to a busy highway with our motorhome and toad that the OTR truckers are usually the most helpful in either moving over or backing off to make a hole for me. I try to return the favor as much as possible...

Can you explain why you should expect anybody to slow down to let you in?
Get YOUR head on your shoulders, look at the traffic, judge speed and drop in behind the one you expect to slow.

I'm referring to heavy traffic situations where there are no holes large enough for my 55' combo to fit in. I don't expect anyone to let me in, but as I said, in general it's the OTR truckers that face the same situation that will "make a hole" for me to tuck in to behind another vehicle. Would you prefer I stop on the ramp and wait for rush hour to clear???

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Pet Peeves long road trip
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.