Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: Towing with 4cyl Sorento?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Towing with 4cyl Sorento?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
sdmia49

Adirondacks

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/20 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 19 Kia Sorento (4 cylinder) has a 2000 pound towing capacity. Bought a used Pop Up that weighs 1200.
If we take our time and travel slow, will we be successful towing about 2.5 hours away in some foothill mountain regions? Thanks for all info and tips!

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/20 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Best of luck with your plan.

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/20 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Should be fine! Keep an eye on your temps and downshift manually for engine braking going downhill. The PU should have brakes since you need them over 1000 lbs in NY. Get a good brake controller like the Prodigy. You don't say how many passengers but if you have full seats and gear in the back, steep grades will be a challenge.

Post up when you get back and let us know how the trip went!

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

sdmia49

Adirondacks

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/20 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you so much!
It would be 4 people plus gear, but we are pretty much 99% certain taking a second car for passengers and gear, and just using the Sorento for towing empty PU.
Thank you for the brake controller tip - will be researching that today!

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/20 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will be close to your limits. The weight of the pup dosent include anything like propane tank, battery ( needed for the breakes) water , awning, etc. All this stuff adds weight to the pop up. This is addition to any gear added. What pup do you have and what options?

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

sdmia49

Adirondacks

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/20 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is a very old, 1994 I believe, Palomino Colt. The ice chest isn't in it anymore. It doesn't have any added options aside from an awning (no AC, no heater, etc).
We dry camp and won't bother filling the water tank. (We usually tent, we wanted to try the pop up as a small 'upgrade'). I can't see how the awning would add too much weight.
It has standard 4 pin electric harness plug. I didn't realize I also need a battery? I apologize, I am brand new to all this, hence the post here.
So we could do all gear/people in one car, and then the Sorento just to tow.

scbwr

North Ridgeville, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/20 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suggest that you load gear into the camper that you plan to leave in it for your camping trips. Then, take it and get it weighed. Look for a nearby CAT scale facility. I think if you go to their web site, there is information on how to weigh an RV. By getting it weighed, you can see what your actual weight is and then you can determine how you need to proceed. But, using a second vehicle for the family and extra gear sounds like a very good idea. It's so much better to play it safe.

Check the tires....if they are over 5 years old, replace them. Camper tires rot out before they wear out the tread (for most folks) and you don't want to experience a blow out while towing it!

Make sure added weight to the popup is evenly distribute or have slightly more weight forward of the axle. Too much weight in the rear can cause trailer sway.

Good luck and I hope you can enjoy many great camping trips!

2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/20 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sdmia49 wrote:

It has standard 4 pin electric harness plug. I didn't realize I also need a battery? I apologize, I am brand new to all this, hence the post here.

You just hit a issue. 4 wire plug normally means no brakes. Without trailer brakes, you don't have enough tow vehicle.

Las Vegas Proud

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/20 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

sdmia49 wrote:

You just hit a issue. 4 wire plug normally means no brakes. Without trailer brakes, you don't have enough tow vehicle.

He should be fine, if he’s only towing a little over 1200lbs as long as he downshifts on hills. The car is rated for 2k they should have taken pulling and stopping into that equation. OP take it easy and you should be fine.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/20 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

just my .02cts, no 4 bang auto was made to be a tow truck. but thats just me. the engines not made for towing,, brakes not made for towing,,tranny not made for towing. ok I,m done.I feel much better

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Towing with 4cyl Sorento?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.