Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: where 2 get water for RV before you reach your destination?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> where 2 get water for RV before you reach your destination?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Latner

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/20 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

It one thing if you are on the road and need water. Sure you get it from wherever you can. However if your leaving from home, you are better filling your tanks from a known source and bringing it with you.
The weight of the water is negligible and will have no measurable impact on your MPG's

I think for a lot of people it's the fear of "tank drop".

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/20 06:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2, Lantley.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/20 06:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have yet to see a water tank drop.

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/20 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And what is “tank drop”?

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/20 07:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I filled up close to camp twice when we were new so we could save the weight. I hated it both times.

We were soooo close to camp, but then we had to stop and wait 30+ minutes for me to fill up.

For me it's a much better use of time to fill up the night before while we're packing up.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/20 08:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There afraid the water tank will drop out of the camper.

30 minutes is a long time filling up!

Others may not want to travel with water depending on what they travel with. When i had the pop up the extra weight and where it was located added to sway. Not all campers are the same. I have never had trouble with campground water being undrinkable or bad. Use a filter and sanitize your tank and lines.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

travisc

Pacific NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/20 10:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I carry two things, water theif hose adapter, and 5 gallon bpa free water jug, I can fill my rv from any water source and did so this last week on a trip. 90% of the campgrounds we go to have water, if we think we’ll be near one that doesn’t we fill up,

Winnebago Access 24V

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/20 11:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I fill my fresh water before I leave
And would not travel near empty , unless it was a must do situation because of critical over weight issues
In the scheme of things, water weight versus fuel mileage is not a big deal, Not having enough water when needed can be a very big deal

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

camper19709

middletown,DE

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/20 11:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like filling with water at home that I know is safe. Then I use the campground water as needed. I have always found the campground water to be safe. That way I do not need to worry about finding water in route. Water weight makes no difference in my mpg.
I have gotten water at FLyingJ , rest areas with a dump station or campground on my way. Campgrounds allow you to get water free or for a small fee.

* This post was edited 07/14/20 11:12pm by camper19709 *

Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 12:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not at the stage where I go 'weeks' at a time on the road, so I always take a load of water from home, even if going to a full hookup site..

My old TT only had a 30 gallon fresh water tank, but my new Rockwood has a 55 gallon fresh water tank... I have found, I don't really use all that much fresh water from the tank on a long 4 day weekend.

No kids, no need to take a 10 minute shower every day while "camping"... It's my time to be dirty, so a good sponge bath before bed is more than refreshing while out in the 'woods'.. ha, ha..

In the end, do what you need to do that works best for you.. All of us other goofs out there are just doing the same thing and proud of it! That's why we post what we do and think it's all anyone else needs to do to enjoy their time in the "woods".. [emoticon]

Good luck! Mitch
[image]

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> where 2 get water for RV before you reach your destination?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.