Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Yellowstone
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Yellowstone

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
stargirl96

Weatherford, OK

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/20 03:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This question is for those who have traveled to Yellowstone National Park. We recently returned from a trip by car to Yellowstone. We were fortunate to find a cabin in the park to stay. We noticed the campgrounds were full. There are hundreds of wide level turnouts throughout the park. Those who have been there know what I'm talking about. I know it is prohibited to park there overnight. At the same time the park is huge and there are so many turn-offs. Have you ever heard of a camper taking advantage of them when they can't get a campsite? This is just idle curiosity and nothing else.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/20 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The NPS has pretty strict rules. Camping in a turnout in a park like yellowstone is not something they are going to like at all. Each year the Park Service puts more emphasis on law enforcement and less on maintenance, natural history, and dealing with the public.

Lwiddis

near Jawbone Canyon, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/20 04:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yellowstone has a capacity limit. Allowing camping in turnouts would contribute too many people.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

wapiticountry

Mountain West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/20 05:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stargirl96 wrote:

This question is for those who have traveled to Yellowstone National Park. We recently returned from a trip by car to Yellowstone. We were fortunate to find a cabin in the park to stay. We noticed the campgrounds were full. There are hundreds of wide level turnouts throughout the park. Those who have been there know what I'm talking about. I know it is prohibited to park there overnight. At the same time the park is huge and there are so many turn-offs. Have you ever heard of a camper taking advantage of them when they can't get a campsite? This is just idle curiosity and nothing else.
Overnight camping is only allowed in the designated campgrounds or back country campsites. No, you cannot just camp in a pullout or even pitch a tent along a trail. The rangers will not only move you along, they are very likely to write a citation that has a hefty fine attached. They take the rules very seriously.

PartyOf Five

Wheaton, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/20 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most national parks will have a substantial fine assessed by the ranger if you are found spending the night in your RV

PartyOf5: Us 2 & 3 pre-teens trying to connect, learn, appreciate creation & the Creator. 5 yrs, 50k

May you find Peace in all that you endeavor

PartyOf Five

Wheaton, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/20 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It took me a while to realize that I'm not the first one to think like this with my RV :-)

TexasShadow

Spring Branch, TX USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/20 08:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the park rangers watch that pretty close. I suppose you could get away with it once or twice, but not sure what the penalties are.

TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

2chiefsRus

USA Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/20 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ok, so you know it is prohibited but if someone on the internet, who you don't even know, tells you that they have done it, then you would be willing to try it yourself? Not much reward for so much risk in my opinion.

Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/20/20 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On our one and only trip to Yellowstone we stayed at Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone just outside the west entrance. I guess I don't understand the attraction of staying INSIDE the park.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/20 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are some other places where you might hole up for a few hours, like the parking area at Old Faithful (it's quite large), and I'm sure there are some other spots inside the park perimeter. Or stay just outside the park, as was also suggested. Probably a few places out there you could spend the night. Check for BLM/USFS places nearby.

Mike.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Yellowstone
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.