Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Yet another tow/weight question...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Yet another tow/weight question...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
SlothHorn

Rowlett, TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/20 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thx again for all the info. I'm trying to avoid the mistake my brother made a couple of years ago. Bought an RV, picked it up, got 10 miles and the truck overheated. He's a truck driver, so he prob should have known better.

As far as the length if trips... we should be ok. 90% of our trips will be within 250 miles of home. Long trips will be broken down into extremely small increments of miles due to the fact that we're teachers and have plenty of (summer) time to travel.

Boomerweps

Hills of PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/20 01:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SlothHorn wrote:

Thanks so much for all the info.
1. The two we're looking at have dry weights of 4,883 and 5,120.
2. I'm sure most newbies say this, but, we don't anticipate having too much added weight to the calculations above. Family is less than 500 total. We're not planning on taking anything more than the usual cooler, food, clothes, dishes, etc... We may take our bicycles as well.

Yup, that is everyone’s plan till momma starts loading it up with a lot of just in case and we might need it items [emoticon]
Forget dry weights. Use the trailer GVWR for weight factoring. My guesstimate is that a TT with around 6K# GVWR is what you should look for and less if it has a suitable layout. The less weight you are hauling, the easier & more comfortable the tow with better truck performance.

2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, TBC

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/20 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fun has been mentioned a couple of times and I totally agree. The first weekend you waste worrying and dreading the trip back home is not fun. Neither is that big puddle of transmission fluid flowing out from under your pickup. That is something the Rear Axle Rating folks fail to understand. It is the total vehicle that you are relying on.

djsamuel

Central Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/20 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SlothHorn wrote:

Thanks so much for all the info.
1. The two we're looking at have dry weights of 4,883 and 5,120.
2. I'm sure most newbies say this, but, we don't anticipate having too much added weight to the calculations above. Family is less than 500 total. We're not planning on taking anything more than the usual cooler, food, clothes, dishes, etc... We may take our bicycles as well.

Looks as if the math is ok according to the info supplied in all your posts. I look forward to adding to this forum on the help-side in the future.

Based on my experience with the identical truck, it looks like you'll be fine if you stick with that weight range.

Picture of Our Trailer

Camplite 21BHS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Yet another tow/weight question...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.