Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Walt Disney/Universal since Covid re-opening
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Walt Disney/Universal since Covid re-opening

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/21/20 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Im glad i cancled my october trip this year. I might give it a go next year.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

djsamuel

Central Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/20 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We live nearby and we've been over to Disney Springs and the hotels. My wife retired from Disney but we haven't had the chance to get into the parks but know people who have. From what we've seen, Disney has done a really good job at making it as safe as possible. To get into the parks, Disney Springs, or even ride the monorail, you have to get your temperature taken. There are also barriers in the monorail and you get a section to yourself. At restaurants, there are no menus, just a QR code you scan with your phone and the menu pops up. If you don't have a phone to do that, they have throw away paper menus. Tables are separated a lot, and the use of masks is strictly enforced. People were using drinking something as an excuse for walking around without a mask. They would get a Starbucks, and just walk around holding it. Disney changed the rules to require anybody eating or drinking to do so while stationary and stopped in a designated socially distanced location. They are increasing enforcement as well.

There are no character meet and greets and character meals are not the same or are not open. Those restaurants still offering character meals only have the characters walking through, not stopping for pictures.

Buffets are either closed or have converted to family style serving. Trails End at Fort Wilderness is still closed with no timeline for reopening at the moment.

Also, remember that to get into a park you have to make an advanced reservation just to get in. In addition, there is no park hopping allowed; only one park per day.

Personally, if I was coming a distance and about to drop a lot of money, I think I'd wait a year for all of this to hopefully return to normal.

* This post was edited 07/22/20 09:08am by djsamuel *

Picture of Our Trailer

Camplite 21BHS

Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/20 02:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have two weeks reserved in February and we are in a wait and see mode.

Dan

2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/20 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

djsamuel wrote:

We live nearby and we've been over to Disney Springs and the hotels. My wife retired from Disney but we haven't had the chance to get into the parks but know people who have. From what we've seen, Disney has done a really good job at making it as safe as possible. To get into the parks, Disney Springs, or even ride the monorail, you have to get your temperature taken. There are also barriers in the monorail and you get a section to yourself. At restaurants, there are no menus, just a QR code you scan with your phone and the menu pops up. If you don't have a phone to do that, they have throw away paper menus. Tables are separated a lot, and the use of masks is strictly enforced. People were using drinking something as an excuse for walking around without a mask. They would get a Starbucks, and just walk around holding it. Disney changed the rules to require anybody eating or drinking to do so while stationary and stopped in a designated socially distanced location. They are increasing enforcement as well.

There are no character meet and greets and character meals are not the same or are not open. Those restaurants still offering character meals only have the characters walking through, not stopping for pictures.

Buffets are either closed or have converted to family style serving. Trails End at Fort Wilderness is still closed with no timeline for reopening at the moment.

Also, remember that to get into a park you have to make an advanced reservation just to get in. In addition, there is no park hopping allowed; only one park per day.

Personally, if I was coming a distance and about to drop a lot of money, I think I'd wait a year for all of this to hopefully return to normal.

We've probably been to WDW close to 100 times since 1971 (plus we lived in the Orlando area a number of years, which made it easier to go). Many times have we enjoyed the full Disney experience, and loved it every time.

I realize the changes that needed to be made, and I agree fully with every one of them -- however it sounds like the Disney experience just doesn't exist.

If it were me, I'd wait it out rather than be sorely disappointed.

Just my opinion.

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

patperry2766

Saginaw Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/20 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Appreciate the feedback so far. General consensus seems to be to wait till things play out a little. Kinda what I was thinking, plus beating the heat isn't an option in Orlando during the summer.

Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

djsamuel

Central Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/20 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

We've probably been to WDW close to 100 times since 1971 (plus we lived in the Orlando area a number of years, which made it easier to go). Many times have we enjoyed the full Disney experience, and loved it every time.

I realize the changes that needed to be made, and I agree fully with every one of them -- however it sounds like the Disney experience just doesn't exist.

If it were me, I'd wait it out rather than be sorely disappointed.

Just my opinion.

Agree 100%. It is one thing when it takes less than half an hour to get in, but to spend the money and time to come from a distance is just not worth it right now (in my opinion). Hopefully things will return to normal by next year.

I do feel bad for the company and especially the workers; many of whom I know. It is a bad situation and they are doing their best; but it is tough.

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/20 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

djsamuel wrote:

I do feel bad for the company and especially the workers; many of whom I know. It is a bad situation and they are doing their best; but it is tough.

It's horrible. With the parks, studios, and cruise lines all closed, many tens of thousands of people are out of work.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/20 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, latest on the disboards, is some loops are closed, pool reached max capacity the other day, so no more allowed in. Only movies 4 nights a week, no chip and dale or campfire beforehand. Trails end closed, but they are letting people eat take out there? We will see. Next year is looking much better!

otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/20 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tough call by Disney to open-up in the midst of Florida's outbreak.

Disney's focus is primarily kids. Got to wonder how many kids have the discipline to not touch their face during an entire day of boarding rides and entering/departing various venues? No doubt Disney disinfects as much as possible during the course of a day, but it's still a calculated risk for the kids, and their family.

delwhjr

TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/20 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, Universal cancelled Halloween Horror Nights today. One more event gone for the Fall. Even less reason to go to the Orlando area for the parks.

2019 F250 Crew 4x4 6.2
2019 Rockwood UltraLite 2608BSD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Walt Disney/Universal since Covid re-opening
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.