Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Water hose threads...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Water hose threads...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/20 05:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We would drink from any hose as a kid. Bell, there was a tin cup hanging on the pump on courthouse square. But, think about it. How many chemicals in materials where not even in the world 50-60 years ago? And to think the test about bringing out a new chemical is not "is it Safe" but "is it profitable". And we have no idea how to get many out of the environment. And when stuff is made out of recycled material, many things are likely to make use sick.

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/20 06:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CavemanCharlie wrote:

I hate those cheap plastic replacement ends that you put on garden hoses. I usually end up Cross Threading them after a few uses.

I have learned to purcahse good hoses with good steel threads on the end and then take good care of them so they last for a long time.

I atually started getting the plastic ones, the steel ones for some reason have a disimiler metel reaction on my home hose bibs ( brass) causing them to oxidize and fuse. I wish they would just make things that works well together. For now i spray the hose bibs with dry lube, or use vaseline. This isnt really a problem at a campground as i dont stay that long. But for seasonal people , it might be a problem.

* This post was edited 07/23/20 07:16am by an administrator/moderator *

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/20 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think you are supposed to use a SAFE hose for a nice taste, but rather that it is not supposed to leach out petro-chemicals as bad as the garden hoses.

I had a friend, when he was 19, worked for auto sales lot. He helped the mechanics at times and he would wash his hands in Benzine. Everything was fine and dandy until that day he was diagnosed with leukemia. Dad grew up eating food cooked in aluminum pots and pans, all was just fine until dementia got him. Lots of cancer stories can be told, fine and dandy all along, no problems, then got sick.
With all the things we cannot avoid in the world it would be wise to avoid the things we can easily avoid.

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/20 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Drifting aa bit but...I remember the peddler came around in a GMC or Chevy open side Suburban,called something different then. You could hear him a good ways away. because it was so quiet it defened you on the mountain. Aluminum cookware was the rage. Grand Ma bougth a lot of it.....And the aluminum got Mama too as it has many. When she married in 46 it iron skillets a few enameled pans that my sisters now have and aluminum everything else. No one like the aluminum dipper. The tin dipper that hung by the water buckets delivered the most refreshing cool drink of spring water ever. Always cool it seems. And...no one ever got sick and we all shared that dipper.

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/20 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ajriding wrote:

I don't think you are supposed to use a SAFE hose for a nice taste, but rather that it is not supposed to leach out petro-chemicals as bad as the garden hoses.

I had a friend, when he was 19, worked for auto sales lot. He helped the mechanics at times and he would wash his hands in Benzine. Everything was fine and dandy until that day he was diagnosed with leukemia. Dad grew up eating food cooked in aluminum pots and pans, all was just fine until dementia got him. Lots of cancer stories can be told, fine and dandy all along, no problems, then got sick.
With all the things we cannot avoid in the world it would be wise to avoid the things we can easily avoid.

I never heard of the Aluminum pan thing, I had to look it up. Seems that there is no clear evidence that Aluminum pans cause dementia. I still use Aluminum pans in my camper.

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/20 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh yeah, the aluminum being a silent killer has been known for years around here.

Heck look up antacids using aluminum.

mdcamping

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/20 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K3WE wrote:

Objective here is humor.

I’ve read a lot of threads here- lots of blow-hards...You MUST use white RV hose- green ones are ‘poisonous’.

But as a kid, I drank from them.

Anyway- camping right now, with fancy new white hoses, and the water is ‘big time hose flavored” (eye roll).

Maybe we should use the right ones, but then again, maybe it’s mostly bologna.

Anyway, we’re filling a water jug for drinking directly from the faucet, just because it tastes better.

LOL

also drank from those green hoses when I was a kid, didn't where a bike helmet either. (I don't think they had them in those days) learned to drive in a 1967 3 on a tree pickup truck with gas tank directly behind bench seat while my father smoked. Not sure how I am alive today!! [emoticon] [emoticon]

Mike

07 Toyota Tacoma,Double Cab, Max Towing 6,500lbs GCWR 11,100lbs
2011 Jayco X20E, Pro Series 800lb Weight Distributing Hitch
Husky Sway Bar, Prodigy Electronic Brake Control
McKesh Mirrors. "Towing with 200K"

Where we have camped

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/20 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mdcamping wrote:

K3WE wrote:

Objective here is humor.

I’ve read a lot of threads here- lots of blow-hards...You MUST use white RV hose- green ones are ‘poisonous’.

But as a kid, I drank from them.

Anyway- camping right now, with fancy new white hoses, and the water is ‘big time hose flavored” (eye roll).

Maybe we should use the right ones, but then again, maybe it’s mostly bologna.

Anyway, we’re filling a water jug for drinking directly from the faucet, just because it tastes better.

LOL

also drank from those green hoses when I was a kid, didn't where a bike helmet either. (I don't think they had them in those days) learned to drive in a 1967 3 on a tree pickup truck with gas tank directly behind bench seat while my father smoked. Not sure how I am alive today!! [emoticon] [emoticon]

Mike

Same here exactly [emoticon] Only I can add that I used to slide down the spillway at 40+ on the slippery moss and algea and built the worlds largest teeter Totter, it went 22 feet high at the seat.

* This post was edited 07/25/20 10:23pm by covered wagon *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Water hose threads...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.