Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: Blue Tooth Electric Brake controller
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Blue Tooth Electric Brake controller

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
tompla

Adams, MN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/20 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 40 ft Class A MH. I am going to pull a trailer with electric brakes. Curt makes the Echo mobile Trailer break controller that plugs into the 7-way plugin on the back of the coach and then you plug the trailer brake into that Echo Device. The device is managed thru Blue Tooth as an app on your phone. I am concerned if Blue tooth will have a strong enough signal when my phone is with me on the dash. Has anyone had any experience with this type of set-up?

phemens

Montreal, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/20 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would not trust any wireless solution for brake control. Murphy's Law dictates that the one time you'll really need it to work, the signal will cut, or your phone will crash or whatever.

2012 Dutchman Denali 324LBS behind a 2006 Ford F-250 V10 out of Montreal
1 DW, 1 DD, 1 DS, 2 HD (Hyper Dogs)
1200w solar, 600AH LIFePO4, Yamaha EF2000 gen, Samlex 3000w Inverter

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/20 01:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tompla wrote:

I have a 40 ft Class A MH. I am going to pull a trailer with electric brakes. Curt makes the Echo mobile Trailer break controller that plugs into the 7-way plugin on the back of the coach and then you plug the trailer brake into that Echo Device. The device is managed thru Blue Tooth as an app on your phone. I am concerned if Blue tooth will have a strong enough signal when my phone is with me on the dash. Has anyone had any experience with this type of set-up?

Your phone is not controlling the brakes. It is manged by your phone. Managed as in you can use your phone to adjust the amount of brake applied. Like adjusting the dial on a regular brake controller. When you plug in the 7-way plugin and apply the brakes the plugin/brake controllers inertia reader will adjust the amount of voltage applied to the brakes. I'm sure it would use the settings previously applied if the bluetooth signal is lost.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

Lwiddis

Near Mammoth, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/20 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wireless and brakes don’t match up for me.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/20 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schlep1967 wrote:

Your phone is not controlling the brakes. It is manged by your phone. Managed as in you can use your phone to adjust the amount of brake applied. Like adjusting the dial on a regular brake controller. When you plug in the 7-way plugin and apply the brakes the plugin/brake controllers inertia reader will adjust the amount of voltage applied to the brakes. I'm sure it would use the settings previously applied if the bluetooth signal is lost.

I might be OK with this, but need to understand Why? I hook up to a trailer, and adjust the settings for that trailer. If I only pulled 1 trailer, never need to adjust. Why would I richard around with a phone to make adjustments?

phemens

Montreal, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/20 04:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schlep1967 wrote:

tompla wrote:

One thing I like about my more 'analog' controller is the ability to force application of the brakes if needed (surge them). That would be a lot more complicated or impossible with a phone.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/20 03:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just when I thought that brake controllers couldn't get any dumber, they come up with this. How do you manually control the trailer brakes?

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/20 04:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

schlep1967 wrote:

I might be OK with this, but need to understand Why? I hook up to a trailer, and adjust the settings for that trailer. If I only pulled 1 trailer, never need to adjust. Why would I richard around with a phone to make adjustments?

Because everything is better with Bluetooth...

I saw this yesterday and was confused so I looked it up.

The primary thing is to adjust the brake controller settings thru the phone. That should be OK as you shouldn't need to change those often and worst case, you should be able to take the phone and walk to the back while parked and make an adjustment. They say that once set, it remembers the settings if the connection is lost.

But it also has the manual trailer brake application thru the phone. If you do any driving in the mountains, this is a deal breaker for me as there are times, I will use the trailer brakes independently and I don't want to find out it's not connecting when it fails to connect.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/20 06:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

schlep1967 wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

Because everything is better with Bluetooth...

I assume sarcasm?

Quote:

The primary thing is to adjust the brake controller settings thru the phone. That should be OK as you shouldn't need to change those often and worst case, you should be able to take the phone and walk to the back while parked and make an adjustment. They say that once set, it remembers the settings if the connection is lost.

How do you people adjust your controller? I start on a low traffic street, make repeated stops until dialed in up to about 25 MPH. After that, normal driving, I adjust little at a time, go to far, back off, until it feels best. Then I record the settings for next time I pull that trailer. While I might want to apply brakes while near trailer wheels to trouble-shoot, not to adjust controller.

Quote:

But it also has the manual trailer brake application thru the phone. If you do any driving in the mountains, this is a deal breaker for me as there are times, I will use the trailer brakes independently and I don't want to find out it's not connecting when it fails to connect.

Shortly after I retired, Feds determined for a driver of commercial vehicle to talk on a phone, he had to use a hands free device. I disagreed because it is the mind distracted, not the hand busy that is the issue. OTOH, my brake controller is mounted. If I need to apply trailer brake, I don't need to look for the control, I want to know where it is, and it is connected.
BTW, if at highway speed, and a tire blows, we are told not to brake. If pulling a trailer, get on the trailer brakes. If it is a trailer tire, will not matter, you will not loose control anyway. If it is a TV tire, the extra pull will hold you straight, and drop speed.

Mike134

Elgin

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/20 06:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Until my other devices work 100% of the time with bluetooth and never ever pause/skip I'll use a wired brake connection my $.02

2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Blue Tooth Electric Brake controller
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.