Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Top models in Class C’s
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Top models in Class C’s

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/20 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There may not be a luxury Class C as such. But of all the manufacturers out there who makes multiple different models. What has been at the top of the quality models?

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/20 04:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All of them use the same components. Larger ones tend to be on Ford E-450 Chassis and there are a few using Chevy's.
Smaller units can be on Mercedes or Ford or Ram sprinter style vans.
As to house quality, again, they use mostly the same components. Generally most will tell you I believe that the Thor products tend to be the lowest quality, Highest quality is likely going to be like asking whats better, Ford or Chevy.
As a generality Coach House, Winnebago, Nexus, Entegra, Jayco, Coachmen, Gulfstream, Forest River all offer varying levels of amenities, and cross multiple price points. And yes the list above is somewhat close to a price breakdown with the first ones tending to a somewhat more expensive, and some would say , better lines.
If you are shopping new, warranty on the "house" could be considered by some as a telltale. Jayco and a couple others warrant for more than one year, Most tend to only cover for a single year.

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/20 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know how much you want to spend, but Newmar makes a Super C now. There are others as well if you want something higher end.

Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/20 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pick a floorplan you like and maintain it regularly. IMO, having a good dealer who cares is more important. You should be talking to the mechanics that make the repairs on these things.

Any rv can be good and offer reliable service if it's maintained.

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/20 05:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want a Super C - look at Renegade. I think that would be considered higher quality than most and definitely Luxury.

Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/20 05:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry I should have been more specific. I’m talking gas Class C.

Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/20 05:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is one thing that always true isn’t it, find the floorplan that works for you! You can forgive things a lot easier if you’re really happy with your living space.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/20 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Generally speaking, I think the best built (which may not always equate to the most luxurious) gas/van chassis class C motorhomes are or were made by a few smaller makers, including Lazy Daze, Phoenix Cruiser, and Coach House.

Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/20 07:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is the use of Azdel a big deal? It seems pretty important to me if what it does is true!

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/20 07:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mondooker wrote:

Is the use of Azdel a big deal? It seems pretty important to me if what it does is true!

Yes, the use of Azdel vs Luan or other cheap plywood is huge indicator of quality. It costs more to use Azdel but it is a clearly a superior product. It will not absorb moisture... ever. It has a higher R value rating {making it much more efficient} and is stronger and lighter than plywood.

Years ago very few builders would use Azdel but Lance and Nexus pioneered this technology despite the higher costs involved. Now many of the better quality builders use Azdel to include Winnebago on their higher end units.

I would not own a motorhome that was not built with Azdel as it points to the overall quality of the build. The comfort level {both temperature and sound} we enjoy in our Nexus in all sorts of weather is a direct reflection of how well it was built. I toured their factory a fews years back and saw the way they vacuum seal their multi layer walls incorporating the use of Azdel and walked away every impressed.

For the record we had already purchased our Nexus Phantom 23P lightly used before visiting their facility in Elkhart and after 7 years and 63,000+ trouble free miles I can truly appreciate the quality of their build as evidenced by their use of Azdel along with many other unique features.

Another dead give away of an inferior/cheap build is to take a flashlight or use your smart phone camera and see what materials were used in places most folks don't see. If you find s speck of particle board... Run Forrest run! Take a small chunk of PB and add a little moisture and watch what happens, it's not pretty.

As always... opinions and YMMV.

[emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Top models in Class C’s
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.