Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: More water needed....
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> More water needed....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/28/20 11:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

+1 for a trailer to carry 400+ gallons for your sweetie. You could really get lost for a while. [emoticon]

[image]

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/20 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have her read your description of her in a public forum "a long haired red-headed she devil". You'll likely have plenty of water and more room in the bed.....

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/20 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like the OP has their mind made up already for a rooftop bladder.

How do you plan to keep the water from getting gross up there? It will basically be laying in the sun day after day. After a few days you likely won't need to heat it for a shower, and after that it'll start turning green.

Do you have enough holding tank capacity to deal with an extra 30-50 gallons of waste water, or will you be "watering" the nearby vegetation so to speak?

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/20 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very cool 4x4 lifted Class-C.

It is tall already so not ideal to add to the roof weight, and we assume you go off-road some where top heavy is even less desirable?

I think the roof would hold the weight if spread out like you say, but you will be stressing the walls while driving, forcing them to hold straight while the water pushes side to side... I would be weary.

Trailers are prob out of the question bc you go off-road.

Look into getting a front hitch and use carry trays to carry water bladders there. Some trays fold up so when not needed will be less obtrusive. This will help on some trails. You can do the same on the rear hitch.
If you need to fold the trays to get down a rough trail then jugs work better as those can be stuck inside while you drive down the trail, but a giant bladder will be un-moveable.

Most hitches can handle 300-400 lbs.

I have a front hitch on my truck and love the expanded ability to carry things, usually a generator for me, and it is also a great tow point when you get stuck.

Also, no woman wants this advice, but maybe for you... I use kids shampoo when camping, it suds up way less and is much easier to rinse out. Raking as much of the suds out of the hair before rinsing will make it quicker to rinse too. Of course, you know, let the hair rinse be what rinses off the body initially.
One rinsed dish/pot full of water gets poured into the next pot to wash.

I can shower every day, prep two meals per day, wash dishes all on one gallon of water per day, and I get dirty when camping and playing, so is legit shower cleaning... You will have to minimize your water to save water for her. Sounds like she is at her limit for water saving.

** I just looked at your pic again. You have a custom front bumper, it might have a receiver already, but otherwise just weld one in.
Looks like solar on the front of roof so you are talking about the bladder near the rear, which is behind the axles, not ideal.
You could consider moving the AC unit to the rear vent roof hole (is the bedroom area?), and putting the water bladder smack dab center of the RV so you are not leveraging weight behind the wheels... lot of work to do this though
And you have stock size tires, so guessing not a lot of off-roading going on?

* This post was edited 07/29/20 09:35am by ajriding *

garyhaupt

Penticton, BC..land of wine, sun, retirees....

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/20 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am doing one response so as to avoid a sore typing finger.

airiding...you may have hit on the better way. My front bumper would take a bladder. I will look at that. I don't want a permanent 'box'. I have the correct tires for the E350..so, no..no big tires. But..my off road travels have been many.

Others...I am grateful for all the input. Thank you. Yes..it is tall and yes, it is maybe a tad top heavy. My vision saw/see's me watering before going off road, not driving around with a full 'bladder'. I asked the question...I shall investigate other options. A rear receiver is not an option. I have a bike box on the one that exists, now.

Someone mentioned Sharon reading my comments...you are kidding, right? You obviously don't know me. Sharon is the one person in my life that I will do most anything for. She supports me and accepts me...she loves 'docking and loves the deserts and wild places..the woman has no fears. So, if she needs more water than I currently carry, to wash her hair, to extend the stay...I will do what I can to provide.

Gary

* This post was edited 07/29/20 10:33am by garyhaupt *

I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/20 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Invest in an electric pump that can fill a container from a stream or lake. That can be special hair washing water. One 5 gallon container would be more than sufficient.

Get a plastic pan and a pitcher to be used for hair washing. It would be okay outside if away from lakes and streams. Use biodegradable soap.

A happy woman makes for some great traveling. Might as well use a solar shower while you are it.

It still amazes me that people think living in an RV should be like a hotel. The roots come from camping. Simple solutions are the easiest and most dependable. This is a perfect example.

* This post was last edited 07/30/20 08:18am by ppine *   View edit history

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/20 05:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garyhaupt wrote:

A rear receiver is not an option. I have a bike box on the one that exists, now.
So that makes it even easier... just do a few mods to the water trailer to fit the bike box on there.
May have to modify the trailer leaf springs to increase the ground clearance like is done on Jeeps. Piece of pie, easy as cake [emoticon]

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/20 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm a Caveman.

30 extra gallons of water could be carried in 6- 5 gallon portable jugs setting on the floor of the RV. (If you could talk her down a few gallons 5-5 gallon jugs would be easier to find room for.)

Then when you get to where you are camping just set the jugs outside on the ground until you need to add some water. A 12 volt electric pump would make putting them into the holding tank easier.

Coleman makes a nice square 5 gallon jug. But, their are cheaper ones that work well too. Just get a good one that won't leak.

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/20 05:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even if you succeed in finding a suitable method of transporting the water you need, you still need to find a legal way of getting rid of it. Aren't you supposed to have grey water and black water capacity equal to the potable water capacity?

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/20 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cloud Dancer wrote:

Aren't you supposed to have grey water and black water capacity equal to the potable water capacity?

That's kind of a stretch. Technically my 60 gal gray & 60 gal black equal my 120 gal fresh, but there's no way I fill those tanks at an equal rate.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> More water needed....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.