Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Transporting Raft from Campsite to Launch Ramp?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Transporting Raft from Campsite to Launch Ramp?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Baja Man

Inland Empire, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/28/20 05:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello all--

I have a bumper pull toy hauler and a topper on my truck. I love fishing and wish I could take my fishing boat with me! Since I am unable and prefer not to tow doubles, I am considering carrying along an inflatable raft with small outboard for fishing and pleasure.

Considering a 12' Saturn fishing model with alum floor. I'll also carry a small outboard 2-4hp. Raft weight with floor is about 175#.

Once at campsite and I rig the boat, I need a way to get it to and from the launch ramp daily, as I do not want to deflate/inflate it each day. I'd like to set up and inflate day 1, and deflate and put away when we leave.

So, how can I safely get it to ramp and back to campsite daily?

I believe campsites to launch ramps, at most places where there is water (lakes/rivers), is about one mile or less.

Options I thought of....

1. Small portable trolley/dolly/trailer that is lightweight, portable, foldable and can be used to trailer it down to water/ramp.

2. Getting raft up onto my topper....but weight and my age make it prohibitive.

3. Adding wheels to raft for launching are great for walking raft into water, but I don't believe they are suitable for trailering to launch ramp

4.?????????

2003 Ford F-350 XLT Super Duty, Crew Cab, V10 (6.8L); 4X2; Standard Bed; SRW; 4R100 trans
2009 Thor-MVP RV- Tahoe 284SA

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/20 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could something like this be modofied to pull to a ramp? Jet ski dolly

Check the different types of dollies on the web, some get pricey but some seem pretty reasonable.

Lakeland Bob

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/20 09:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you considered one of these, http://www.4boysmfg.com/? If you already have the boat it would save money from buying another.

PartyOf Five

Wheaton, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/28/20 09:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

175# and 12' are still pretty small. Could you use a yard wagon like this with sides that drop down?
https://www.menards.com/main/outdoors/gardening/garden-landscaping-tools/wheelbarrows-carts/yardworks-reg-900-lb-steel-utility-cart/yrd900/p-1470102316729-c-13262.htm

PartyOf5: Us 2 & 3 pre-teens trying to connect, learn, appreciate creation & the Creator. 5 yrs, 50k

May you find Peace in all that you endeavor

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/20 11:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of them Horrible Freight 4x8 folding trailers would do the trick. Store it in your toyhauler.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/20 11:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Light boat and raft dollies

Son of Norway

Denver, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/20 12:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back when I was young and strong I used to take people on whitewater raft trips. I had a 12' bucket boat and a 16' self-bailer that I transported on a trailer. I got the boats to the water by giving out a shout. In no time I would have all the hands I needed. Everyone helped each other at the launch sites. 175 lbs. should be no problem even for a long carry.

Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/20 05:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess the big question here is, is this just for within the campground or will you need to travel public roads to the boat ramp? If within the campground you may be able to get away with one or two of the kayak dollies or even a hand/refrigerator truck with the bottom platform removed. the heavier hand trucks normally come with better rubber wheels that disperse the load. Slide one under the boat and run straps around it. Walk the boat to the water.
If you have to leave the campground onto public roads, start looking for a Harbor Freight Trailer that is legal for road use.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

ZINGERLITE

Union Lake, MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/20 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

alot of jet ski guys build carts out of pvc pipe. light weight and easy to transport.

[image]

FlatBroke

CO/AZ

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/20 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

[image]
Fold up wheels. Pick up the bow and pull it to the water and after it launched you flip them up and Be on your way. Works well.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Transporting Raft from Campsite to Launch Ramp?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.