Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV Lifestyle: What's changed about camping?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> What's changed about camping?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
WNYBob

Tonawanda, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/20 02:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camping has changed since the definition of a CAMPER went from being a person to a thing!

WNYBob

A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/20 02:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sjm9911 wrote:

I would look not at recreating your memories as a kid, bit focous on creating new ones for yours. You cant relive thw past. But you can still get out and enjoy stuff and give the kids a good experience.

I fully agree. My wife and I reminisce about a lot of our trips, including trips overseas we've been blessed enough to be able to enjoy, and the conclusion is always the same -- the memories are great -- but if we went back and tried to recreate them, it would never be the same. So, we make new memories. We go with the flow and bend with the wind. Complaining about things that have changed or about the way things used to be only end up making us bitter, angry, and disappointed. Move forward. Enjoy today for what it is. We were never promised a tomorrow.

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/20 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

We would load up for a week of camping and head up from Chico on highway 32 and drive into some forest service roads to spots my parents had known for years. Those places were remote mountain meadows with flowing streams and beaver ponds for fishing and exploring. Nothing but good memories and the truck camper my parents had fit in their short bed half ton 4x4.

As I try to replicate this experience for my kids, I am finding it difficult to do. Granted part of my problem is location.

Location is everything.

We do now just as you did as a kid here in Idaho..Campgrounds are loaded with nut jobs and I never use them.. We camp only in remote mountain places with creeks and lakes that most do not know of and do not go...

Dispersed camping only for this truck camper and why I own one.

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/20 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

About half those items were in place at least since the 1960s/1970s.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/20 03:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Devocamper wrote:

Just wait until all the folks that just bought Rv’ s this year because of the pandemic get out here , most haven’t a clue about how To use the equipment they bought never mine campground rules or that the rules are for everyone! Have tried to assist a few but they know it all already and We have seen it in our travels . Next year there will be a lot of rv’s and gear for sale! It’s really a sign of our times unfortunately. I think it makes all the difference if you had previous generations teach you the proper way to do things in life as well as camping

You hope Coronavirus seize to exist next year???
I read that the same situation is with Ocean boats. Dealers cant't keep them on their yards as they sell like crazy and we are talking $50-100k toys.
That is why my last idea of camping is take my patio boat, who has full enclosure, load it with batteries, fuel, inverter and coolers with food and camp on Lake Powell.
That might become also the cheapest camping as week stay with boat ramp use cost me $15.
I just check the campground in Sierra I used to frequent in the past.
The camping where I never had to make reservation for mid-week, now only has couple of single days available for whole August.

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/20 04:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1) I'm sure Canada being closed off is limiting the dispersion this summer.

2) Remote learning and remote working starting in March led to a mass migration to outdoor recreation. If schools are remote again this fall perhaps parents and kids will have to spend more time attending to studies beginning in September and things will quiet down.

3) The FS does very few new timber sales and thus few new roads. Old roads are now abandoned to preserve big game and because of lack of funding.

4) MX is probably not as big a draw w covid limiting dispersion.

5) Social media leads to the overcrowding and then destruction of many places.

Kayteg1 - I've always wanted to camp on Powell, 10,000 lakes is another option.

mockturtle

AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/20 06:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't like to make reservations and miss the spontaneity of just showing up at a FS campground. Now most of them take reservations and are apt to be full. While I'm glad to see families out camping and enjoying their time off from work and school, things will probably never be as they were, say, ten or 20 years ago and we casual campers will have to find new options. Dispersed camping is sometimes OK but other times it is risky, with full-time homeless 'tweekers' and other druggies whose cluttered campsites indicate that they are not limiting their stays to two weeks.

2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

adamis

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/20 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mockturtle wrote:

I don't like to make reservations and miss the spontaneity of just showing up at a FS campground. Now most of them take reservations and are apt to be full. While I'm glad to see families out camping and enjoying their time off from work and school, things will probably never be as they were, say, ten or 20 years ago and we casual campers will have to find new options. Dispersed camping is sometimes OK but other times it is risky, with full-time homeless 'tweekers' and other druggies whose cluttered campsites indicate that they are not limiting their stays to two weeks.

I go back and forth on whether reservations have improved the camping experience or made it worse. Certainly the ability to plan ahead and know you have a site in advance is a big plus. The counter argument though is that these reservations are being booked out six months or more in advance for many places and so now you have to plan these things way far out for summer months and plans often change in that time. How many times have we all been at a campground that was "full" only to have reserved sites go empty?

I don't know what the right answer is but I wish that they would limit a percentage of sites that can be reserved six months out to say no more than 25%, and another 50% can only be reserved within a month and the final 25% remain open to first come first serve or same day reservations.

At the very least, they need to start expanding the number of campgrounds in some of the popular areas to meet demand.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

azrving

Oatman

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/20 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a kid I remember families. After retiring and we started boondocking 8 years ago Ive seen maybe 50% which seem to be the mobile homeless. Not bad people but it was story after story of what is homeless but they still have enough resources to be on wheels The pot “industry “ is of course the illegal part of the industry. They have legalized it in some states but it seems excessively high taxes let the illegal ones still compete I don’t do it but thats one of the complaints I seem to hear.

HMS Beagle

Napa, California

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/20 08:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

The reality is none of what you posted is really new!

It isn't new - but it is getting worse. The only cure is to go further away from population, or off season. Off season is noticeably more crowded now than even 10 years ago. More population, and many more RVs, which have made camping accessible to people who really don't want to camp. If you are just going to watch TV all afternoon, do you really need to take up a campsite to do it?

Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> What's changed about camping?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.