Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV Lifestyle: What's changed about camping?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> What's changed about camping?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
adamis

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/20 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The family and I just completed our three week road trip and I've been reflecting about the past and future of our adventures. I know as adults we always idealize our past but it seems to me that the camping experiences I had as a kid are almost impossible to replicate as an adult. Let me opine a moment...

As a kid, our family mostly boondocked in Northern California. We would load up for a week of camping and head up from Chico on highway 32 and drive into some forest service roads to spots my parents had known for years. Those places were remote mountain meadows with flowing streams and beaver ponds for fishing and exploring. Nothing but good memories and the truck camper my parents had fit in their short bed half ton 4x4.

As I try to replicate this experience for my kids, I am finding it difficult to do. Granted part of my problem is location. I'm currently living in the SF Bay Area (not by choice) and good National Forest is a minimum of 2 to 3 hours any direction to get to. Even with that challenge overcome, I'm observing some of the following:

1a. Forest Roads once accessible are now closed off (due to fire concerns) forcing the use of public campgrounds over the hidden gems our parents knew of.

1b. Marijuna "industry" making taking over the remote areas in National Forest and making it unsafe to go to.

2. Public Campgrounds are overcrowded (population has doubled but when is the last time you saw a new campground being built?).

3. Campgrounds today are akin to "combat camping" where fire rings are right on top of each other to cram as many campsites into as small of an area as possible.

4. People are less respectful of others. Someone in the campground thinks that everyone else nearby wants to their music all day long or the people that get hammered around the campfire partying or, the worse, people that leave trash all over the place after their "party".

5. Sight seeing the local sights means fighting for a parking space which is undersized for your vehicle.

6. Electronic devices taking kids attention away from the wonderment of being in the forest and now having to fight their attitude if they don't get their daily dose of tik tok / youtube.

7. RV parks that are profit driven and have turned into nothing but parking lots.

8. Homeless / long term campers taking over campgrounds and living there (aka, junk all over the place).

9. Reservation systems that require months in advance of planning now versus the "pack and go" that we grew up with.

I'm sure you all can add to my list of gripes and feel free to do so. Yes, I realize boondocking is still a thing and in certain parts of the country solves nearly all of these gripes. Perhaps my issues are mostly related to Northern CA and it's population boom since I was a kid.

That being said, my concern is that these problems are not going to get fixed on their own. They are a product of a growing population and a society that no longer respects others. My only counter to this is the need for a growing number of private campgrounds run by people like us that remember the good old days and seek to replicate that to the extent possible. I've looked at buying mountain property for years to do just this but haven't pulled the trigger yet but someday hope I will.

How many of you have considered the same thing?

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

bigfootford

Fair Oaks, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/20 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lot's you have listed have been going on for years.
Pretty sad. The only way to get around lot's of those issues is to do your trips/camping after school starts. Impossible with kids sadly.

One more thing that really is bad that many state campgrounds have been taken over by commercial companies thus no forest service. The prices have doubled and tripled in popular areas.

Jim

2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Mich 245/70XDS2's, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260,Lifeline 100ah, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Trimetric, Delorme/laptop, Holux gps rec,led lights, Wave-3 heat.

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/20 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In some people attitude changes as they age...”back in my day,” “in the old old days” etc. These are the good old days for today’s kids.

Population increases also should be considered including the large numbers of seniors. More than 300 million Americans now. Camping, RVing is fashionable right now but it will decline.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

zigzagrv

Nazareth, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/20 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Excellent observation and so true! The times, they are a'changing. Not always for the good.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
Master Tow dolly
Toyota RAV4

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/20 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of those issues are nothing new. People are flawed they were flawed back when you were a kid and they are flawed now. However your perspective has changed since you were a kid. Now it's up to you (your generation) to resolve those long term issues.
The reality is none of what you posted is really new!

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/20 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not a problem to have those experiences in my area. If those experiences are important to you, you should consider moving. Otherwise, find hobbies that you like that are compatible with your area. I’m sure there is something to do in your area that is worthwhile.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

adamis

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/20 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

Not a problem to have those experiences in my area. If those experiences are important to you, you should consider moving. Otherwise, find hobbies that you like that are compatible with your area. I’m sure there is something to do in your area that is worthwhile.

Having just traveled through Montanna, I thoroughly agree with your assessment. The freedom I felt out there and the scenery I saw spoke to me for sure. I went through about a dozen places I was ready to put money on the table to get a chunk of that land. That being said, the wife isn't keen to moving to Montanna and I don't like snow so winters are out for me. She did however open up the idea of a cabin for summer retreats but that is probably a decade away if ever.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/20 11:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I start camping in California back in 1987 and those rules more or less applied then. Only difference I remember from those years was that some campgrounds would allow gray water damping.
That said, with RV you have lot of choices.
My favorite over the years was Crystal Basin area, who belongs to Sacramento Water District. 7 different lakes past Pollock Pines few miles you turn left into Ice House Road. Some mountain driving and it is your choice of lake size and elevation (temp changes). Still can find beach campgrounds with no fees.
Being self-employed most of those years, during school vacations I would go there on Sunday and go home on Friday before ZOO started at the lakes.

Devocamper

West Haven CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/20 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just wait until all the folks that just bought Rv’ s this year because of the pandemic get out here , most haven’t a clue about how To use the equipment they bought never mine campground rules or that the rules are for everyone! Have tried to assist a few but they know it all already and We have seen it in our travels . Next year there will be a lot of rv’s and gear for sale! It’s really a sign of our times unfortunately. I think it makes all the difference if you had previous generations teach you the proper way to do things in life as well as camping

08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/20 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would look not at recreating your memories as a kid, bit focous on creating new ones for yours. You cant relive thw past. But you can still get out and enjoy stuff and give the kids a good experience.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> What's changed about camping?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.