Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Yellowstone area update
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Yellowstone area update

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
rfloyd99

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/20 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are headed to Grand Teton/Yellowstone from Spearfish, SD on Friday, 8/6. I'm aware this may be the worst time of year to visit, but that's just how it worked out. I've gotten conflicting reports about crowds and campsite availability lately. We have a 27' TT, and can dry camp if necessary. Staying outside the parks is okay.

Has anyone been there lately?

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/20 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were there a few weeks ago, 2 days at the unknown entrance--Bechler and two at Mammoth Hot Springs. Every cg we passed was closed but we only drove the West Yellowstone to Mammoth Hot Springs road and maybe 20 miles east on the north road. I never got a clear look at their cg status board so you should check online.

Crowds seemed to be normal, this is our 5th or 6th visit here. Visitor centers are closed. Mammoth HS traffic awful as usual.

We stayed at an excellent boondocking site 15.5 miles north of the post office at Gardiner off 89. We were doing a drive by mainly my wife wanted to see some critters.

The road to Bechler is ten miles of extreme washboard BTW but the Cave Falls CG is good and the falls and trails excellent.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Two Hands

California's Central Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/20 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were there the day before yesterday. I have never seen it so crowded. Every campground was full. We stayed in Gardner, Montana at the Rocky Mountain RV Park. It was excellent.

2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/20 06:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rfloyd99 wrote:

We are headed to Grand Teton/Yellowstone from Spearfish, SD on Friday, 8/6. I'm aware this may be the worst time of year to visit, but that's just how it worked out. I've gotten conflicting reports about crowds and campsite availability lately. We have a 27' TT, and can dry camp if necessary. Staying outside the parks is okay.

Has anyone been there lately?

You don't have reservations? Wow, I would think it would be pretty much mandatory to have reservations at a national park, 6-8 months in advance. We did Yellowstone 4 years ago, started looking in April and the only week we could get reservations was the week of July 4th, everything else was booked up. That was inside the park, I didn't want to deal with the gate every day.

Lwiddis

near Jawbone Canyon, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/20 06:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No reservations for Yellowstone. Going anyway. That’s a strong constitution!

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/20 09:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Freecampsites dot net might be a helpful site to look at, if you haven't already done so. When winging it (no reservations), it's good to have a backup alternative or two in mind within easy driving distance.

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. --Benjamin Franklin
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

JAC1982

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/20 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe 7 of the campgrounds in Yellowstone are closed right now. Going there in the summer without reservations even in a "normal" year is brave. Going this year is beyond brave... good luck.

2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/20 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

YNP CG open

8 actually closed 4 open, scroll down that page above. Your chances of finding an open spot are essentially zero.

rfloyd99

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/20 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP here. Thanks for the responses. Apparently there are several first come, first served NFS campgrounds outside the park. as well as commercial RV parks outside the park. That's what I was looking to find out about, as well as general info about crowds and traffic within the park. I guess I could have been more specific in my question.

I spoke with a friend who was in Y'stone last week who said the park did not seem crowded, although he had no info about RV options.

Any info about the outside the park options or general level of crowds within is still welcome.

Thanks!

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/20 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

" general level of crowds within"

We haven't spent much time in Gardiner before but it seemed to be busy when we were there, inside the park to--it is always crowded in the park from June thru October, as I said the crowds did not seem to be any worse than usual. But usual means a mob scene.

Don't know about private cg but the West Yellowstone and Gardiner areas were very busy and we got a 'cg full response' to a request for and overnight spot at a cg 40 miles from West Yellowstone and the very out of the way cg we did find a spot at was almost full.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Yellowstone area update
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.