Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Parking on area with dirt/grass stability
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Parking on area with dirt/grass stability

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Nanidh12

El Cajon

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/20 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello, all. I am new to this whole trailer thing, and I have a travel trailer I have on grass/dirt area. Yesterday when we leveled it it was level, but this morning it seemed to become out of level.

It was very foggy in the morning with a lot of condesation, so I am worried that the dirt and grass is becoming moist, and is changing the ground stability.

Does any one have any recommendations of how I can make it more steady?

This is the only location where the trailer fits.

Thanks!

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/20 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Put boards under the jacks and tires to spread the weight over a larger area. It is normal to get some settling. After a few adjustments it should stop moving. Unless of course you are on a recently filled in area. Then it could keep moving for a while

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/20 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

and no matter what you put under the stabilizers there will be movement inside the trailer when on every surface but concrete; not terrible but can be distracting when someone is moving around the trailer while you are trying to sleep.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

cekkk

Southern Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/20 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Second what Shlep suggested. And I would not put my stabilizers down until the settling quit. You don't want too much weight of the trailer on those stabilizers, because keep in mind they are not Jax. They're not designed to support the weight of the trailer. That is why when you store it for a long time you should not even put the stabilizers down at all in case you have a flat tire. don't get upset, there's just a lot of stuff you need to learn. We've all gone through it and end up enjoying our campers.

'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/20 12:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schlep1967 wrote:

Put boards under the jacks and tires to spread the weight over a larger area. It is normal to get some settling.

Long, wide boards !

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/20 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, any non-concrete surface, but especially grass/dirt is going to settle just a hair when you put a load on it. And sometimes that will result in slight out-of-level and/or bouncy feeling a day or so after you "land."

I carry 4 or 5 12 inch long pieces of 2x12 pressure treated lumber to place under the stabilizers and tongue jack whenever I'm on dirt, grass, gravel, or even asphalt, as all of them are prone to that settling and some of them can actually be quite soft. The square foot of bearing surface helps a lot, both in reducing the need to monkey with the stabilizers and the risk of poking a hole in asphalt pads. There are campgrounds which have in the rules a stipulation that you much use something of that sort.

Lwiddis

Near Annett’s Mono Village, Bridgeport, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/20 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You’ll get used to a little rocking quickly. I removed my stabilizers. Saves weight, increases ground clearance.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Nanidh12

El Cajon

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/20 03:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you to all.

I have concrete slabes under the stabalizer jacks that were attached under the trailer, and I have the Trailer jack on the tongue with concrete slabs. I also have the tire chocks as well between the tires.

Is there any other items I should use for support? I don't want anything to snap.

Should I place the lumber under the stabilizers once it settles?

I'm sorry my terminology is not the best. I'll learn!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/20 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have patio blocks or similar under each stabilizer and the tongue jack and it's sinking then the ground is very soft. Crank em up a little more and see if it stops. Would seem counterproductive to put down more than maybe a 1'x 1' pad.
The dew in the morning isn't softening the ground though. It's either very wet or very un compacted.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/20 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I camp almost exclusively out on the sand in the desert. Based on your description I can't imagine anything snapping. But just to go there even though you didn't ask here's what I do.

Before you disconnect the trailer level it side to side. I use the plastic lego blocks, many people use pieces of wood.

Chock the wheels using a minimum of 4 chocks so neither side and roll forward or backward.

Put something down on the ground for the trailer jack to sit on and distribute the weight. (I crib 4x4's for this)

Using the tongue jack level the trailer front to back.

Now drop the stabilizers down to help remove some of the wiggle. I typically crank down until the jack contacts the ground or the piece of wood and then give about 1/4 additional turn. If the ground is really soft I might give a half turn.

Personally I use pieces of 4x4 lumber about a foot long to put under the tongue jack and under the stabilizer jacks. The idea is to fill the open space between the jack foot and the ground so you don't have to crank the jack down very far. The stacking of wood will also help make the trailer more stable than just the jack cranked all the way to the ground.

You want to use cribbing when you stack the wood under the jacks. Place two pieces of lumber in one direction like north/south (leave a gap between the two pieces). Then stack the next layer on top perpendicular (East West) Keep alternating layers N/S, E/W until you get the height you desire. I always end up with a single 4x4 across the center of the cribbing for the jack to contact. Then crank the jack down and add 1/4 to 1/2 turn and call it good.

Later that night or the next morning make sure your jacks are still tight as the ground can settle.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Parking on area with dirt/grass stability
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.