Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: Question about tires
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Question about tires

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Heybro

kingsville

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/20 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been learning a lot about tongue weight and payload capacity lately, but I have not even looked into tire capacity and weight rating at all. I am going to need some help with this. So my truck has Goodyear 275/55R20 113T tires. It says the treadwear is 500, Traction B, Temperature B. It also says the max load is 2535 lbs, and max psi is 51.

My GAWR on my truck with those tires is 4000 lbs on the front, and 4150 lbs on the rear.

Ok, with that information, how do I figure out if I am good to tow a 7,000 lbs GVWR trailer, with 680 lbs of dry tongue weight without having a tire blowout? I heard something that you need D or E rated tires if you are going to tow. But it looks like my tires can handle 2535 lbs each, so shouldnt i be fine?

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/20 07:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are your tires P for passenger car or LT for light truck?
A P tire may indeed hold the weight without damage but they're designed for ride comfort and thus have sidewalls with less stiffness. An LT tire, while supporting the same weight, will have a stiffer side wall for less rolling and flexing while under way.
As for knowing if you can tow that trailer, information on your vehicle is necessary, not just the tires. What vehicle are we talking about? What's it's tow rating, hitch rating, payload rating, etc?
Dry tongue weight is meaningless since no body tows a dry trailer. Your tongue weight needs to be about 13% of the loaded trailer weight so figure about 900 pounds on loaded tongue weight.

Lwiddis

Near Mammoth, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/20 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forget all “dry” weights. Tongue weight wet and loaded needs to be 12 to 15 percent of trailer weight. 840 to 1050 pounds for a 7000 pound trailer.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Heybro

kingsville

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/20 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It doesnt specify on the wheels. I think its P if it doesnt tell you.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/20 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The tires will work, air the rear to max, no problem there, but you will need to stay under the truck RAWR 4150. If you add the loaded hitch wt to the R/A curb wt. and all other wt added to truck, in cab, in bed, WDH, etc, you still need to stay within rear axle rating. I think it will work, if you don't load the truck bed with heavy stuff.

Jerry

Heybro

kingsville

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/20 07:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

The tires will work, air the rear to max, no problem there, but you will need to stay under the truck RAWR 4150. If you add the loaded hitch wt to the R/A curb wt. and all other wt added to truck, in cab, in bed, WDH, etc, you still need to stay within rear axle rating. I think it will work, if you don't load the truck bed with heavy stuff.

Jerry

Okay, so on the sticker in my door it says that the cold tire pressure should be 30 psi on front, and 33 psi in back. I guess I'm confused on why it says on the actual tire that the max is 51 psi. Should I have them all at 51 psi at all times?

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/20 07:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The door sticker is for best ride, but for towing heavy, you need to air up to get full use of tire load capability. Like mentioned full pressure in rear, and try about 42 in the front. A bit of trial, to know what handles best, after all hooked up and towing.

Jerry

Heybro

kingsville

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/20 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

The door sticker is for best ride, but for towing heavy, you need to air up to get full use of tire load capability. Like mentioned full pressure in rear, and try about 42 in the front. A bit of trial, to know what handles best, after all hooked up and towing.

Jerry

Thank you for the explanation.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/20 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"My GAWR on my truck with those tires is 4000 lbs on the front, and 4150 lbs on the rear."

That will not change regadless of tires you put on vehicle.
Those ARE your Axle Weight Ratings....which you need to stay AT or UNDER

Your tires are rated at MAX Load/MAX PSI of 2535# EACH------ 5070# Total per axle....MORE then the Axle Ratings

AS suggested.....when towing 42PSI in Front Tires and 51psi (MAX) in Rear tires
When NOT Towing...adjust air to 30psi/F and 33psi/R

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/20 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"One" duty, of many, a tire has is to carry weight....just think air bags in that regard

Add more PSI and it will carry more....up to its rated PSI/WEIGHT

with those axle GAWR, your TV is a half ton and has passenger class tires (P) with very low aspect ratio (profile), which has stiffer sidewalls....a good thing for towing on smooth pavement

When using "C" or "D" load rating....that is usually for the next higher class tire, LT (light truck)

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Question about tires
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.