Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: EMS/Surge Protection or.... TPMS???
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> EMS/Surge Protection or.... TPMS???

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
scbwr

North Ridgeville, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/20 06:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless you have tires that are due for replacement, getting a PI EMS unit or equivalent should be a priority. One bad experience with a power pedestal can result in a big bill for repair/replacement of gear that can be damaged to a power surge, low voltage, etc.

If the tires on your rig and towed vehicle are in good condition, and you maintain proper inflation and monitor them while on the road (visually checking them whenever you stop), you should be OK. Of course, there is always the chance of a failure, so I would be trying to get a TPMS as soon as possible.

2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

joelc

Cedar Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/20 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EMS with out a question. You can physically check tires daily and every 3 hours driving (kick test) when traveling, but you can not see electricity and know when it will cause problems. I have a built in Progressive 50 A EMS/Surge that I installed in my 5er.

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/20 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

he's gone

SpeakEasy

Western New York

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/20 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

he's gone

Nope

I don't see a clear consensus.

I have great tires: new GY Endurance.

I don't have a power-hungry rig; about a quarter of the time we dry camp.

So - based on input given, no clear consensus other than "get both."

-Speak

It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/20 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SpeakEasy wrote:

I don't see a clear consensus.

I have great tires: new GY Endurance.

I don't have a power-hungry rig; about a quarter of the time we dry camp.

So - based on input given, no clear consensus other than "get both."

-Speak

You will never see a clear consensus here. On anything. You have to take the differing opinions, with their rationale, and decide which one fits your needs better.

Whether the rig is power hungry has absolutely no bearing on the question. The question is whether the power supplied to the rig is clean, reliable power. That is totally independent of what you have.

I do believe that both are very useful. I have both. I got the EMS immediately. I got the TPMS when I discovered an inside dually tire completely flat. Not low, flat. It was fine when I started driving that morning, but at the end of a 500 mile leg, it was flat.

However, I also understand the funds conundrum. My personal opinion is EMS first. Like someone else has pointed out, every time you stop for gas you can kick each tire. If they go THUNK, THUNK, THUNK, THUD, then you know the THUD tire is different. My father was a professional, over the road, bus driver. He kept a ball peen hammer in his carry-on. He would hit each tire with it before getting in the bus. It didn't tell him the psi number of the tire pressure, but if all the tires had the same THUNK sound, the tires were all inflated about the same, and would be fine.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

AllegroD

Outdare

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/20 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

promiscuous Power Pole Princess

We resemble that remark. We do dry camp for about 5 days each year now. Agree that my comment is tailored to being tethered and for those that dry camp, the TPMS would move up in priority.

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/20 10:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SpeakEasy wrote:

If you only had $200 or $300 available, would you spend it on an EMS/Surge Protector or on a Tire Pressure Monitoring System? Which would you consider the higher priority?

Probably depends on how many tires you have and how hard they are to check. I can't check the inside duals without taking the hubcaps off -- I've found extenders tend to leak air so don't really want to use them. If yours are easier to reach (and if you're diligent about checking them), then it may not be an issue for you.

With the TPMS, it's trivially easy to check the air pressure *every* time I drive, and will know if I have a leak while I'm driving. Haven't had it alert on any problems yet, but the car's TPMS alerted me twice so for when I ran over something and had a leak while driving.

Well worth the money and peace of mind for me, even though it's over the top end of your range -- I paid $390 for a 7 tire EEZTire system (6 tires plus spare). Have only had it a few months but so far have been happy with it. Just need to remember to turn on the display about 5 minutes before I leave so all of the wheels have a chance to check in.

I also considered a Tireminder system for around the same price. They include a booster for "free", but it's one more thing that needs to be installed and it turns out that I really didn't need it -- all 7 wheels on my 28' Class C check in reliably.

I've been thinking about replacing the power converter with a newer 3 stage one, so I wouldn't be too upset if I had a power surge that fried this one. When (if) I replace that, I'll probably put in a hardwired EMS.

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/20 06:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Question. Will tire monitor work on air bags?

Thanks,
Dusty

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/20 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dusty R wrote:

Question. Will tire monitor work on air bags?

Thanks,
Dusty

Since the pressure in the airbag system varies as the airbags are compressed by the suspension, I'd be worried that it would exceed the range of the TPMS when you go over a bump. You may start at 100psi while parked, but hit a big bump and you might see a short 200psi or higher spike. Not sure if that would damage the sensor, cause it to leak, or maybe not be a problem at all. The pressure variance while driving might confuse the system and set off the leak alert while driving.

Since they do sell special purpose airbag pressure monitors, I'd probably just go with one of those.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/20 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had far more electric events than tire events.
I went with a Progressive Industries hardwired EMS.

Two out of three tire events were loss of tread with no loss of pressure. So really one tire event in 15 years. Ok I did spot low pressure from a road hazard once and changed the tire. Also had a rim leak where I lost pressure while parked at camp.

I don't have a log but I am sure I have an electrical event almost every year.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> EMS/Surge Protection or.... TPMS???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.