Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What's your battery setup on your travel trailer?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

> What's your battery setup on your travel trailer?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/20 10:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Parasitic loads can be a big issue. I am not sure what all the possible loads are but in my TT I have the frig, LP detector and the antenna booster. The antenna booster can be turned off, if I remember to do it.

The single 12 volt battery will last the wife and I two days which is enough when we are traveling between campgrounds for a couple of days.

At home with shore power disconnected, the battery will last 5 to 7 days just sitting in the yard. So at home the TT is plugged into the 120 volt power or the negative battery lead disconnected.

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

corvettekent

Marysville, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/20 11:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We boondock all winter in the southwest. I have four 6 volt Interstate industrial golf cart batteries, 235 AH each or 470 AH at 12 volts. 860 watts of solar on the roof. 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter.

The wife uses her hair drier in the morning, the microwave as needed, the TV is on 6 hours each night and if it is a cold night we turn on the electric blanket.

2007.5 GMC Dually EC/LB, LMM. Banks IQ, Speed Brake, Six Gun. B&W Turnover Ball, Companion Hitch, Amp power steps. Hadley Air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT and four 6 volt batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/20 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The OP has a small TT. He doesn’t have either space or payload capacity for some of those suggested setups. The single 12 volt “marine deep cycle” battery provided with his TT is a 75 or 80 AH battery which was used in the first place because it was the cheapest battery possible.

With the (also cheap) WIFCO converter, he’s getting maybe 25 or 30 AH service out of that battery. For less than $400, he could buy a 125 AH group 31 true deep cycle 12 volt AGM and a real 30 amp battery charger to make sure it was fully charged. This would at least double his available power. Add a second such battery for another $250, and get 4 times the available power.

But even better would be just one such battery and 200 watts of solar panels. That should keep him in power indefinitely. Cost, about $650 plus installation. Operating cost, zero.

Battery

Charge controller

Solar panels

* This post was edited 08/24/20 08:03am by naturist *

badercubed

Canandaigua, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/20 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

naturist wrote:

The OP has a small TT. He doesn’t have either space or payload capacity for some of those suggested setups. The single 12 volt “marine deep cycle” battery provided with his TT is a 75 or 80 AH battery which was used in the first place because it was the cheapest battery possible.

With the (also cheap) WIFCO converter, he’s getting maybe 25 or 30 AH service out of that battery. For less than $400, he could buy a 125 AH group 31 true deep cycle 12 volt AGM and a real 30 amp battery charger to make sure it was fully charged. This would at least double his available power. Add a second such battery for another $250, and get 4 times the available power.

But even better would be just one such battery and 200 watts of solar panels. That should keep him in power indefinitely. Cost, about $650 plus installation. Operating cost, zero.

Battery

Charge controller

Solar panels
I concur with this as a small TT owner

2019 Apex Nano 208BHS
2018 GMC Canyon Crew Cab SLE

Been camping for 37 of my 38 years!

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/20 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OregonMan wrote:

Basically I'm looking for solutions to boondock for longer. I've got solar and a power generator but a better battery setup would be great. Thanks for any tips!
Along with adding a second battery it is also time to review your charging system. Many converters are very slow needing 6 to 12+ hours for 95% charge. The common WFCO 3 stage is notorious for never going to boost mode (14.4v) when expected. Normal mode (13.6v) is just a trickle charge after 30 minutes. Post your converter model for best answers.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/20 11:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have the room, 2- 6V GC batteries are the best bang for the buck.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/20 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That Tesla battery unit has always interested me. But i dont boondock a lot so i never really pursued it. It definately looks viable to me, but on a Pup it might be oversized.
Also note that September 15(2020)is being called Battery Day by Elon- he plans to make an announcement then. Speculation is that its new tech using nano silicon wires.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/20 05:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

there is always room on the front a fram for a bunch of batteries, just have to figure it out. I put four 6V on my camper. I moved the propane tanks forward a couple inches to allow a rack I welded to sit between the fron of the camper and the propane tanks.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/20 07:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have 2- 6 volt deep cycle batteries. I use the 105's . I would call them T-105's but the the T stands for Trojan and I use Duracell batteries I got at Batteries Plus to save money. I only dry camp a few times a years for 3 days at a time; at the most; and this has worked for me for quite a few years. I have no problem making it for 3 days. In the summer running LED lights, the fridge set to propane, a couple of fans, and the TV for a few hours a day I never even get close to running my batteries down. If, in spring and fall, I need to run the furnace I have to be frugal and only run it at night setting it for 60 degrees. I use the oven to bake something before going to bed to preheat the TT.

May not work for everyone but, it works for me.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/search?q=t-105

JHinman

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/20 09:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just switched to lithium ion. I have one 100 amp-hour battery and a Victron monitor. I can charge it with a small a Honda generator, loading the battery at 25 amps until it gets close to capacity.

I ran the generator once yesterday, just to see how it worked, but for a three-day trip I did not really need to. (We are really cheapskates when it comes to power!)

The new battery was expensive, but I think it will be easier to use than lead-acid batteries.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

> What's your battery setup on your travel trailer?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.