Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Oil Change - synthetic oil
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Oil Change - synthetic oil

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Hannibal

Tampa Bay Area

Senior Member

Joined: 04/12/2002

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/28/20 05:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mobil-1 5w-30 went in my ‘05 Hemi powered 2500HD every 5k miles. At 125k when I traded, it still ran like new and used it’s normal .5 qt between changes since new. Same with the 5.4L F250 now. Mobil-1 5w-20 every 5k. At 107k, still like new.


2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'. Reese HP Trunnion 800

rfloyd99

Florida

Full Member

Joined: 12/28/2015

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/28/20 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the input, everyone. I just had it changed (full synthetic) and plan to do so every 5-6K miles while towing.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/27/2004

View Profile






Posted: 08/28/20 06:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I change oil and filter every 5k miles, makes it easy to remember with several vehicles.

time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 08/28/20 10:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

I change oil and filter every 5k miles, makes it easy to remember with several vehicles.
I do same only at 10,000 [emoticon]


2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/27/2004

View Profile






Posted: 08/28/20 11:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

colliehauler wrote:

I change oil and filter every 5k miles, makes it easy to remember with several vehicles.
I do same only at 10,000 [emoticon]
Even easier and with the quality of today's oils is probably a non-issue. I ran Mobil one in a 84 Dodge PU and changed oil in it ever 10k miles. Sold the truck at 200k miles to a friend in 94. He drove it another 10 years and sold it to a teenager in the neighborhood who is still driving it, same engine and doesn't smoke. 318 V-8 automatic.

* This post was edited 08/28/20 11:50pm by colliehauler *

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

Senior Member

Joined: 03/23/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/29/20 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have always changed all my convention oil at 3-4K miles. And all my synthetic oil at 4-5k miles. If you were only changing the oil at longer intervals then no wonder you needed an engine early on. Oil changes (even synthetic) ar cheap compared to an engine replacement, especially if you are on the road. I just sold an 01 Explorer with 200k on the original engine and trans, basically everything. It got regular fluid changes of all fluids. My sons 98 Mercedes has 180k on it. Original trans and engine. Although MB says 12k mikes oil changes i and the previous owner do it every 5k. My daughter 01 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.0L has 190k and has had 3k mike oil changes, not sure about the previous owner. But when I did the rear main seal the inside of the oil pan and motor were very clean.
Preventive maintenance goes a long way! We spend a lot of money on vehicles why not spend a little in comparison to properly maintain them.


Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!


dodge guy

Bartlett IL

Senior Member

Joined: 03/23/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/29/20 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

time2roll wrote:

colliehauler wrote:

I change oil and filter every 5k miles, makes it easy to remember with several vehicles.
I do same only at 10,000 [emoticon]
Even easier and with the quality of today's oils is probably a non-issue. I ran Mobil one in a 84 Dodge PU and changed oil in it ever 10k miles. Sold the truck at 200k miles to a friend in 94. He drove it another 10 years and sold it to a teenager in the neighborhood who is still driving it, same engine and doesn't smoke. 318 V-8 automatic.


Not luck, just good old American engineering. Those old LA engines will last forever even when neglected, just like the 4.0L in my daughters Jeep!

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/27/2004

View Profile






Posted: 08/29/20 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

colliehauler wrote:

time2roll wrote:

colliehauler wrote:

I change oil and filter every 5k miles, makes it easy to remember with several vehicles.
I do same only at 10,000 [emoticon]
Even easier and with the quality of today's oils is probably a non-issue. I ran Mobil one in a 84 Dodge PU and changed oil in it ever 10k miles. Sold the truck at 200k miles to a friend in 94. He drove it another 10 years and sold it to a teenager in the neighborhood who is still driving it, same engine and doesn't smoke. 318 V-8 automatic.


Not luck, just good old American engineering. Those old LA engines will last forever even when neglected, just like the 4.0L in my daughters Jeep!
Back during 9-11 the refinery had a jeep Cherokee that did nothing but circle the refinery for security. It had over 400k miles on it before they replaced it and was still running.

joelc

Cedar Point, NC

Senior Member

Joined: 02/23/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/29/20 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Ford Diesel, but that should not make a difference. I change my oil every 7000 miles and the filter. Don't know if your vehicle would take the same oil or not, but I use Shell Rotilla 15-40 (T-5).

Durb

NW

Senior Member

Joined: 01/15/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 08/29/20 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want longer change intervals you may want to consider an Amsoil bypass filter. Dirt is the engine killer and the filter keeps your oil clean. Doubt that synthetic oil has broken down or additives removed in 11k miles. I ran a bypass in two vehicles and the oil would appear new on the dipstick after 12k miles.

I don't run one on the diesel as my oil times out due to low miles. Considering Kirkland heavy duty diesel oil for my next change, $27 for 3 gallons.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Oil Change - synthetic oil
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.