Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Oil Change - synthetic oil
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Oil Change - synthetic oil

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/20 06:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mooky stinks wrote:

Funny that this thread is 3 pages long and not one mention of a factory oil life monitor? Must be no one believes in them.

That's because it's only as good as the person that was told to program the system. GM even had a flash tomshorten the interval years ago. Must not be that good if they came out with a flash to change the oil sooner!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/20 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can always test the oil. I do, and towing has ZERO impact on results. What does impact the oil and really showed up on the truck, frequent short trips is horrible on engines. I run to 10k+ plus on all my vehicles. The oil analysis is not only piece of mind, but provides good information too.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/20 10:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

You can always test the oil. I do, and towing has ZERO impact on results. What does impact the oil and really showed up on the truck, frequent short trips is horrible on engines. I run to 10k+ plus on all my vehicles. The oil analysis is not only piece of mind, but provides good information too.

X2!
Have mine tested every change.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/20 11:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

+1
Confirmed over and over by people getting the oil tested.
Highway miles are easy on the oil. 10,000 miles is not a big deal.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

rfloyd99

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/20 07:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP here.For those assuming I had to replace the engine because of poor maintenance/oil change frequency, I that was not the case. I asked the question because I had no knowledge of synthetic oil and what the effect of towing would have on it's longevity. I figured folks on here might have better info than the kid at the oil change place.

RambleOnNW

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/20 07:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had an AWD vehicle that I did a lot of mountain driving with. I always changed it with conventional oil at the severe duty change interval of 3800 miles. At 128,000 miles switched to synthetic. What I found was black gunk came out in the oil changes for about 4 changes at 4000 miles intervals. Clearly the heat had coked up some of the conventional oil.

2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/20 10:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Synthetic is also like Dino....comes from an oil well. Just processed to a higher level of purity

Synthetic has higher specifications....higher operating temp and more stable, lower coefficient of friction, etc. Dino oil is getting better and the gap is narrowing...but synthetic also continues to improve

Also, the additive packages are different

All why synthetic costs more

Many higher end vehicles now come with synthetic from the factory and is the only oil

An always and continual debate over the merits vs Dino and IMHO, use whatever you wish and as a minimum follow your OEM’s oil recommendations.

I drive VERY hard and always have. So want the highest spec oil, which is synthetic

Tried extended changes, but no for me. Can tell when the oil charge is ready to be changed. Change around 5K-7K (dependent on which vehicle) and/or when the oil changes color ‘enough’...or when the PSI starts to drop and/or starts to be consumed. Just me and not pushing for others to do so

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/20 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I figured folks on here might have better info than the kid at the oil change place."

Yes and no!

[image]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/20 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oil continues to improve. Now there are micro filtration systems. Additives can be added back into the oil to prolong its life.

A diesel tractor ran one million miles on the same oil using the above methods. The carbon chains in synthetic oil do not break apart like regular dino oil. The dirt in synthetic oil can be filtered out by adding another filtration system. Additives are no big deal to put back in.

I am a big fan of synthetic oil. It makes for easier starting in the winter, it last longer, and it is really good for vehicles that do not get driven much.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/20 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There it is again. Stretching to the full 15,000 and what does the oil analyzer say? Go 17,000

Why is anyone still at 5,000 intervals if driving a lot of highway miles?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Oil Change - synthetic oil
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.