Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Changes to Snowbird lifestyle and Snowbird communitiess
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

 > Changes to Snowbird lifestyle and Snowbird communitiess

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
BarbaraOK

On The Road

Senior Member

Joined: 10/27/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/02/20 11:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CarnationSailor wrote:

RobWNY wrote:

I'm ok with changes like Pot Lucks going away if that happens. I've been to many of them for the socializing aspect but I don't eat the food. We show up after the meal is done. I'm sure most of it is prepared in good sanitary conditions but I can't get the image out of my head of (insert name here) with the cigarette with a long ash hanging out of her mouth, hacking up a lung and wearing a sweater with dog and cat hair all over it. She's the one that prepared the Chili everyone is eating. No thanks.


So I take it you don't eat restaurant food either?


We don't do potluck because my hubby has chronic kidney disease, diabetes, heart disease (just had quad bypass last March and pacemaker implantation in June, so he is on a VERY low salt, sugar free, low fat diet and he can not eat onions unless they are in vinegar. I use non sodium/ non potassium baking power/baking soda, sucralose, etc. We grill a lot because everything has to be portioned control. It is been easier shopping lately because more and more things are now low-salt or salt free, except for soups. Canned soups usually have a lot of salt and have onions. I read. labels like crazy, which is why almost everything is from scratch at our house. It is working for us, he's getting better, but potlucks just can't be part of it.

As for restaurants, we having been doing only take-out for the past 6 months, mostly breakfasts. And there are only a few very things he can have and only once a week at most. Again, I study nutrition menus for chain restaurants, and we really limit ourselves on other things asking for no salt to be added, or inquiring about onions. Again, with everything being closed down, it is usually just take out for breakfast from some of our favorite small places near us, with things we know are ok for him.

* This post was edited 09/02/20 11:28pm by BarbaraOK *


Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006
Figment II (2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ">
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761
Our Blog


almcc

Ontario, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 01/15/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/03/20 06:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, it will be tough for a lot of RV parks this winter. I just cancelled our reservation at the California RV park that we stay at for 3 months each winter. I spoke to some local friends there, they indicate that Canadians have cancelled en mass and that the park is almost completely empty.





joebedford

Sheltering at home

Senior Member

Joined: 09/03/2003

View Profile



Posted: 09/03/20 07:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only reason for a Canadian RVer to snowbird this year is if they are full-timers. Or go to BC where it's 'warm and sunny all year round'.

BarbaraOK

On The Road

Senior Member

Joined: 10/27/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/03/20 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There were 30 rigs that pulled into our park yesterday - the park runs a fall special $1200 for Sept-Dec. Another 300 have reservations starting in Oct-Dec. But who knows if they will all show. I number of the park models owned by Canadians are up for sale, don't expect to see them back this winter.

Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Online
Posted: 09/03/20 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MDKMDK wrote:

One way to help keep the American economy going down south in FL or RGV or AZ (if that's a concern) might be to open the US border to Canadians unilaterally, to let the Canadian Snowbirds that want to head south to spend their money in the US, do so. They would be subject to any state or local virus related protocols and regulations, as well, which I'm sure most would accept. They would also have to weigh the risk/reward of travelling south, knowing that they are "on their own" for medical travel insurance coverage for Covid 19 related problems, but would be covered for everything else, like normal, based on what I've seen online. Last time I checked (a few weeks ago) there were still a couple of Emerg Travel Med insurers that were still issuing policies with all the Covid19 caveats. Assuming the lockdown/quarantine situation will be status quo until next year, they would also have to prepare to do the 14 days of isolation upon their return in the Spring of 2021, just like anyone else returning to Canada. This would probably be an acceptable option to most diehard Snowbirds, and I would think the American (and perhaps Mexican?) RV parks and campgrounds would like to stay as full as possible during the winter months, from an economic perspective.


Medipac already sent out bulletins stating they are providing full and normal coverage for those Canadians heading south this year. There are no restrictions for Canadians flying south. Just get on a plane and off you go. Two week isolation required upon return to Canada. Restrictions for driving south remain in place.

MDKMDK

Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 10/15/2008

View Profile



Posted: 09/03/20 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

MDKMDK wrote:

One way to help keep the American economy going down south in FL or RGV or AZ (if that's a concern) might be to open the US border to Canadians unilaterally, to let the Canadian Snowbirds that want to head south to spend their money in the US, do so. They would be subject to any state or local virus related protocols and regulations, as well, which I'm sure most would accept. They would also have to weigh the risk/reward of travelling south, knowing that they are "on their own" for medical travel insurance coverage for Covid 19 related problems, but would be covered for everything else, like normal, based on what I've seen online. Last time I checked (a few weeks ago) there were still a couple of Emerg Travel Med insurers that were still issuing policies with all the Covid19 caveats. Assuming the lockdown/quarantine situation will be status quo until next year, they would also have to prepare to do the 14 days of isolation upon their return in the Spring of 2021, just like anyone else returning to Canada. This would probably be an acceptable option to most diehard Snowbirds, and I would think the American (and perhaps Mexican?) RV parks and campgrounds would like to stay as full as possible during the winter months, from an economic perspective.


Medipac already sent out bulletins stating they are providing full and normal coverage for those Canadians heading south this year. There are no restrictions for Canadians flying south. Just get on a plane and off you go. Two week isolation required upon return to Canada. Restrictions for driving south remain in place.


Great info, thanks.
Manulife Cover Me and TD Allianz were also writing longer term, out of province, Emerg Travel Med policies, minus Covid 19 related illness coverage, a few weeks ago. Everything else in the application process was normal, including medical questionnaires to determine other pre-existing conditions and exclusions. And pricing, of course. I tried to get quotes at Blue Cross and some of the other banks but they were only writing very short term (16 days max) out of country coverage with the CV19 caveats.
If you're willing to shop around, you can get covered, it seems.
If you rent or have a property down there, you can fly into some major cities, and figure out the rest when you get there. As you stated.
I wonder if the RV rental/sales markets have reached saturation points, with zero availability yet? Maybe you could buy something gently used down there, and fly in to pick it up? Probably not the most thrifty option, but another possibility for Canadians with "deeper pockets"?


Mike.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

joebedford

Sheltering at home

Senior Member

Joined: 09/03/2003

View Profile



Posted: 09/03/20 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The RV dealers around here all have full sales lots with plenty of new RVs.

MDKMDK

Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 10/15/2008

View Profile



Posted: 09/03/20 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joebedford wrote:

The RV dealers around here all have full sales lots with plenty of new RVs.

We don't have any RV lots here in town, but I see nearby lots seems to have plenty of inventory. Probably because no one knows when the border will reopen, so they're holding off buying something, if it can't be used year round (aka for snowbirding?). As we Canucks know, RVing in Canada in the winter can be "challenging", unless you get an "insulated for winter" model. I had one of those (2002 Roadtrek 190P), and it didn't do too badly in the winter, but we only used it once in borderline freezing temps and some snow in Utah back in 2010. I wouldn't want to do too much winter camping in Canada. Not saying it isn't possible, but why, when you can (or, used to be able to) cross the US border and drive 1,000 miles south, and find more moderate temperatures in FL to LA, or the RGV, or elsewhere in TX/NM/AZ/CA.
They're now talking about a vaccine from Pfizer, that might be available in October in the USA, or maybe November, according to the CDC. Do we (Canada) have any "deals" with Pfizer for doses of CV19 vaccines? Seems like the federal government has made quite a few deals with pharma-cos for millions of doses of their vaccines, but I can't recall if Pfizer was among them.

Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Online
Posted: 09/03/20 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MDKMDK wrote:

joebedford wrote:

The RV dealers around here all have full sales lots with plenty of new RVs.

We don't have any RV lots here in town, but I see nearby lots seems to have plenty of inventory. Probably because no one knows when the border will reopen, so they're holding off buying something, if it can't be used year round (aka for snowbirding?). As we Canucks know, RVing in Canada in the winter can be "challenging", unless you get an "insulated for winter" model. I had one of those (2002 Roadtrek 190P), and it didn't do too badly in the winter, but we only used it once in borderline freezing temps and some snow in Utah back in 2010. I wouldn't want to do too much winter camping in Canada. Not saying it isn't possible, but why, when you can (or, used to be able to) cross the US border and drive 1,000 miles south, and find more moderate temperatures in FL to LA, or the RGV, or elsewhere in TX/NM/AZ/CA.
They're now talking about a vaccine from Pfizer, that might be available in October in the USA, or maybe November, according to the CDC. Do we (Canada) have any "deals" with Pfizer for doses of CV19 vaccines? Seems like the federal government has made quite a few deals with pharma-cos for millions of doses of their vaccines, but I can't recall if Pfizer was among them.


Mike. This arrived in the email about 20 minutes ago. I know you are biting at the bit so I figured I would share. We are too but we are going to wait unitil at least the new year and then reassess. I guess we'll miss the early bird renewal. There was more to the email but I had to filter out the personal info. Here ya go.

[image]

[image]

MDKMDK

Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 10/15/2008

View Profile



Posted: 09/03/20 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

MDKMDK wrote:

joebedford wrote:

The RV dealers around here all have full sales lots with plenty of new RVs.

We don't have any RV lots here in town, but I see nearby lots seems to have plenty of inventory. Probably because no one knows when the border will reopen, so they're holding off buying something, if it can't be used year round (aka for snowbirding?). As we Canucks know, RVing in Canada in the winter can be "challenging", unless you get an "insulated for winter" model. I had one of those (2002 Roadtrek 190P), and it didn't do too badly in the winter, but we only used it once in borderline freezing temps and some snow in Utah back in 2010. I wouldn't want to do too much winter camping in Canada. Not saying it isn't possible, but why, when you can (or, used to be able to) cross the US border and drive 1,000 miles south, and find more moderate temperatures in FL to LA, or the RGV, or elsewhere in TX/NM/AZ/CA.
They're now talking about a vaccine from Pfizer, that might be available in October in the USA, or maybe November, according to the CDC. Do we (Canada) have any "deals" with Pfizer for doses of CV19 vaccines? Seems like the federal government has made quite a few deals with pharma-cos for millions of doses of their vaccines, but I can't recall if Pfizer was among them.


Mike. This arrived in the email about 20 minutes ago. I know you are biting at the bit so I figured I would share. We are too but we are going to wait unitil at least the new year and then reassess. I guess we'll miss the early bird renewal. There was more to the email but I had to filter out the personal info. Here ya go.

[image]

[image]


That's a great option for Travel Medical insurance. I had heard about Medipac, but had been using RBC Travel Health Protector Insurance until they started to phase it out it over the last year.
That said, as eager as I am to see things return to normal, I'm also taking it one "extended border closure" at a time, like many of the rest of us. If a viable vaccine becomes available before end of the year, that would be a game changer.
Thanks again. I'm off to their website for a look.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

 > Changes to Snowbird lifestyle and Snowbird communitiess
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.