Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Changes to Snowbird lifestyle and Snowbird communitiess
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Changes to Snowbird lifestyle and Snowbird communitiess

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/20 06:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am already in the RGV (Rio Grande Valley of Texas) for the season. The few of us early birds are pretty sure the party is over for this area. Cheap will still bring a few where that matters. The dances and other social events were already slipping and this will kill most of it off. Replacement snowbird numbers were already weak. When one has to read and reread the fine print on their insurance policy, many will take the safest course and stay north. I can name six out of ten acquaintances who have already decided to remain up north this winter. Three from Canada, three from the upper Midwest. The other four are undecided. Tremendous bargains on old mobile homes and park models. RV's not so much.

MarcoPolo8

Sublette, IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/20 07:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BLM announced it will have normal facilities and services open as usual at AZ LTVA areas including Imperial Dam and La Posa, etc. Just saw it at their Facebook BLM Arizona page.

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/20 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MarcoPolo8 wrote:

BLM announced it will have normal facilities and services open as usual at AZ LTVA areas including Imperial Dam and La Posa, etc. Just saw it at their Facebook BLM Arizona page.

Good news for the Quartzsite faithful? Probably business as usual there in January?

Mike.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

joebedford

Sheltering at home

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/20 07:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Canada has a deal for 20 million doses from Pfizer (and others). There isn't going to be a vaccine properly tested and ready for distribution this year. I'm all in favour of vaccines but would I take one this year? - nope nope and nope.

I'm taking at least a year off snowbirding to be safe.

Also, Pfizer may be blocked from exporting their vaccine to Canada. It happened with PPE.

MarcoPolo8

Sublette, IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/20 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No Canadians so far so maybe not as usual at Q. But I'm thrilled that Imperial Dam is open and I know many others will be also. I need the services as I have a simple pop up FWC truck camper.

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/20 07:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joebedford wrote:

Canada has a deal for 20 million doses from Pfizer (and others). There isn't going to be a vaccine properly tested and ready for distribution this year. I'm all in favour of vaccines but would I take one this year? - nope nope and nope.

I'm taking at least a year off snowbirding to be safe.

Also, Pfizer may be blocked from exporting their vaccine to Canada. It happened with PPE.

The Moderna vaccine sounds like it's more stable at higher storage temperatures than the Pfizer version, so maybe that one will work better for us. It's also produced similar preventative antibody production in a wider range of age groups, from younger kids and adults, right up to older folks over 70 years old. I'd take it, if the phase 3 trials warrant distribution, and it's approved for general use.

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/20 07:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MarcoPolo8 wrote:

No Canadians so far so maybe not as usual at Q. But I'm thrilled that Imperial Dam is open and I know many others will be also. I need the services as I have a simple pop up FWC truck camper.

In that case, it's all good.
Enjoy!

pawatt

Brainerd MN / Palmview TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/20 08:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you all for sharing this good information and for keeping politics out of the discussion.

BarbaraOK

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We never left Mesa last spring because my hubby had quad bypass surgery and had complications after - including having a pacemaker implanted in June. So we are living through the summer from Hell (literally the heat is setting records each day) this year. A promise of it finally breaking come next week - fingers crossed.

We're starting to see a trickle of people coming in. Cal-Am resorts run a Sept-Dec one price special for the fall. Tuesday had some 30 rigs coming in and a few more have trickled in since then. So far several hundred are scheduled to come in on October 1st, usually the start of the season.

The positivity rate and hospitalization rate for Maricopa County and the rest of Arizona is starting to go down. People finally got the message that they had a wear a mask. There have been no people having tirades at store entrances anymore, everyone is putting a mask on as they get out of their cars, grocery stores have special hours for seniors a few times a week, but most of the grocery stores also open at 6:00 am in the summer with very, very few people. Plus most of them have online ordering and pickup at the stores, which is what I'm doing most of the time.

They re-opened gyms and bars last week, and promptly had to close some down for not following the rules - especially the bars in Scottsdale Old Town and Tempe. 20 somethings out partying and packing in with everyone shoulder to shoulder, no masks. Of course pictures up on social media and the next day the Liquor commission started PULLING LICENSES which really shuts things down!

The park's fitness center reopens on Sunday, only every other station, wear a mask and wipe down your area when you leave. There will be no organized fitness class for the fall. The pools are open, limited number, mask on when not in the pool, etc. They started showing movies again, limited spacing, masks on. The grill will start serving again - 1/2 of the tables gone, outside eating only. Same for all of the restaurants in town, but I just get takeout and bring it home. I know that several groups that stayed all summer formed their own "protective bubbles" and I expect we will see that as more people return. Luckily, this area is very conducive to out-door entertaining. Just a matter of being really careful about wearing masks, wiping down, and doing a LOT of hand washing.

Schools are reopening and that is the big question mark. Already have seen huge numbers of cases at ASU and UA. Both universities have now set up dorms to quarantine students who test positive. Publich Health officials are now asking colleges not to send sick students home, but to quarantine in place so they don't spread out around the country re-infecting areas that have gotten things under control. When you're in your 20s you think you will live forever.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006
Figment II (2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ">
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761
Our Blog

rocmoc

Southern AZ/Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From what I have seen here in Southern Arizona and from watching Youtube videos of RVers currently traveling, the USA parks are not having a problem in general. Many are filled and our parks locally never emptied. AWAG is about 1/3 -1/2 of the snowbirds left there RVs in the space or in storage nearby. The local parks are having a better summer than normal even tho we have had record heat. Winter weather forecast for the SouthWest is Warmer than normal and drier than normal. On youtube, the RVers I follow have ran into full parks and a lot of newbie Rvers. I believe this will carry into the winter. Just what I have seen locally and on Youtube. Check out Youtube yourself!

rocmoc n SoAZ

rocmoc n Southern AZ/Mexico

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Changes to Snowbird lifestyle and Snowbird communitiess
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.