Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Changes to Snowbird lifestyle and Snowbird communitiess
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Changes to Snowbird lifestyle and Snowbird communitiess

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 07:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good info. Thanks.
According to the RV industry sales folks, there has been a surge in US newbies entering the RV arena, as a result of the fear of picking up the virus on a more typical drive/fly/hotel/resort style vacation. Some RV retailers can't keep inventory on their lots has also been mentioned. Maybe the lack of us northern snowbirds won't be that big a deal, after all, if the newbies backfill the vacancies left by our absence. I hope it all works out for everyone, and resuts in a win/win outcome for all. Maybe the demand will lead to some new RV parks cropping up everywhere to answer the call?

Mike.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/20 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MDKMDK wrote:

According to the RV industry sales folks, there has been a surge in US newbies entering the RV arena, as a result of the fear of picking up the virus on a more typical drive/fly/hotel/resort style vacation. Some RV retailers can't keep inventory on their lots has also been mentioned.

Dateline Aug 26th 2020 NASDAQ.com RV Sales Record Best July Data in 40 Years, Outlook Looks Rosy and RVing Gets Red Hot Amid Coronavirus

Blowout RV shipments were recorded in July, setting a new record. Markedly, the industry delivered the strongest July "performance in four decades. Total shipments soared 53.5% year over year to 43,035 units."

....its almost impossible for us to find a spot in an RV locale (our local national parks, or, any park for that matter) in our entire region, stretching from the Maine/Vermont/NY border all the way up to the near Arctic in Labrador. I read the same situation from northern Vermont to the Florida Keys. RV parks (for the most part) are doing very, very well across North America (again, for the most part, but not in every corner).

....RVing is the thing to be doing, to "get out of the house" across the entire Continent. Millions and millions of high income DINKS (double income, no kids) with high-end jobs who can work exclusively from home (or, from anywhere for that matter; including from a diesel pusher, 5er, tow trailer, large truck camper with slides) are out on the road across America (and, parts of Canada) working in their rigs.

I expect (IMO) that millions of DINKS (and, some adventurous high income families with kids) will migrate to southern States for the winter (temporarily mothballing their stick-and-brick abodes), all the while working as " high earning technical nomads". An industry has sprung up in North America over the past 6~8 years catering to this hugely-growing higher income cohort, with groups like Technomadia and many other RV-specific "on the road" services that specialize in hooking "them" up to high-speed remote work services. Mind you, not all of this cohort "pays" for traditional camping locales, a good number seek out boondocking, because "they" are equipped with massive solar systems and hundreds of amp-hours of lithium battery banks. And many other of this cohort pay for fixed campground locales.

All the above not even considering the millions of non technical nomads (simply families looking for a safe summer vacation in the outdoors) who have jumped into RVing and camping in a huge way since the end of June.

I personally don't see any change in this movement for perhaps 3 to 5 years into the future (regardless of future pandemics). Campgrounds and RV manufacturers, for the most part, are doing very, very well during "the pandemic" and will do extremely well at least 3 to 5 years into the future.

Unfortunately, the standard ol' long-term Canadian land snowbirds and short-term driving southern winterers who travel exclusively by road to the US, will have a difficult time driving to the US over this "land border crossing closure" situation, because of something called reciprocity. This will be one huge hurdle for Canada and the US to work out. IMO, no land crossings will be permitted in either direction until wide-spread vaccine(s) are distributed in the US and Canada, and Canadians wanting to do non-discretional travel to the US will be forced to go by air.

As earlier posters have shown, we Canadian snowbirds do have access to travel health insurance including coverage for covid-related complications for the 2020/2021 winter season. Also, we do have a fairly robust returning traveler protocol coming back into Canada, with serious invasive police checking by phone and via in-person visits, so I am not worried by returning travelers bringing the illness back here and breaking quarantine.

We personally are not worried about contracting covid in the US, because we will practice the mirror of our present low risk behavior in Canada, including curb-side ordering of all groceries, and through a curbside arrangement with our veterinarian in Florida. No bars, no gatherings, no going inside any buildings/enclosed spaces but our own.

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/20 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm of the opinion that reciprocity is just an ever weakening dam between us, and is there as a courtesy, for now. Recent unilateral aluminum tariffs are one example of the coming cracks in the reciprocity wall. It wouldn't surprise if the US did unilaterally open their side to us on purely economic grounds. Every US border state has petitioned their side and ours to resolve the closure into some sort of expeditied but controlled reopening, with or without vaccines, which may never happen before the virus has run it's course. It's apparent to some that the polls up here are asking Canadians who never cross the border anyway about it, and they are the ones who want to keep it closed, as it doesn't affect them either way. Poll people in border cities that used to cross daily or weekly what they think, and I think your responses would be different.
If all else fails, and the border remains closed for the longer term, we'll have no choice but to fly and rent for winter warmth, as we aren't too worried about catching it, either, and we've not followed any sort of exaggerated covid protocols throughout this entire saga, unless mandated to do so in public places.
The unfortunate truth is, you can't "snowbird" in Canada in too many places that I'm aware, so if flying south is the only remaining option by the end of this season, the airline industry may see a spike in their winter business next season, too. If they survive.
Book early, as spots in the warmth may be harder to come by, as this situation evolves?
Peace. [emoticon]

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/20 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MDKMDK:

I agree completely with every one of your points. We are banking (er, the right word?) on the US side opening for Canadians by October/November, regardless what Canada does. What would it matter to Canada anyway, as only Canadians would be allowed back into Canada under that new reciprocity. I hope that the "concept" of (strict) land border reciprocity drastically evolves, in light of the "one covid plan fits all" approach that Canada has taken up till today, with absolutely no hint of engaging the US side (border opening) proposals already on the table.

And, I agree that a near-term "vaccine" is not a guarantee, and because of this, a Plan B to open the land border(s) has to be done now. I think there has been too much foot-dragging on this front "up here".

We had booked our return to the US (Florida) during the "pandemic", when we were assured by our health insurance company that they would honor our policy no matter what, and were, um, forced to return at end of March (despite our Florida community and management practicing fairly strict pandemic protocols quite before a pandemic was "declared"). We were supposed to be back this November, however, because of refund rules, I had to prune-off November and December, and fall back to 2021 January to March (grrr !).

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/20 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

silversand wrote:

MDKMDK:

I agree completely with every one of your points. We are banking (er, the right word?) on the US side opening for Canadians by October/November, regardless what Canada does. What would it matter to Canada anyway, as only Canadians would be allowed back into Canada under that new reciprocity. I hope that the "concept" of (strict) land border reciprocity drastically evolves, in light of the "one covid plan fits all" approach that Canada has taken up till today, with absolutely no hint of engaging the US side (border opening) proposals already on the table.

And, I agree that a near-term "vaccine" is not a guarantee, and because of this, a Plan B to open the land border(s) has to be done now. I think there has been too much foot-dragging on this front "up here".

We had booked our return to the US (Florida) during the "pandemic", when we were assured by our health insurance company that they would honor our policy no matter what, and were, um, forced to return at end of March (despite our Florida community and management practicing fairly strict pandemic protocols quite before a pandemic was "declared"). We were supposed to be back this November, however, because of refund rules, I had to prune-off November and December, and fall back to 2021 January to March (grrr !).

We're in a similar holding pattern, having planned for our winter trip to begin in December, and run to end of March, but the border closure has put it all on hold. We had to cancel our plans last winter for some unexpected medical issues (refund rules considered), but were prepared to pick up where we left off this year, and then CV19 happened.
So, it's wait and see. Just got a flyer from our local MP, and she says in it that the border isn't likely to open soon, essentially "out of fear" of the number of CV19 cases (with very few fatalities or ICU trips) in the US, and that they "have to protect the safety of Canadians" during the pandemic, which I personally believe is categorically false. It's up to the individual to decide what's right or acceptable for themselves. On one hand, I'd like them to stop treating us like children, and on the other, I actually wish they'd treat everyone like children, because they're almost immune to the virus. We could just get on with life again. We've got to stop being treated like we don't know how to take care and reasonable precautions towards not getting sick from this virus, like we do for seasonal colds and flus. Your point about a "one size fits all" solution to all these complex issues, is bang on. It simply doesn't work. The foot dragging up here has been another puzzling aspect of the border traffic issue.
Anyway, keep your fingers crossed and maybe we'll see a unilateral border opening. You're right about the return to Canada part. A 2 week stint in quarantine is a small price to pay for a few months in the sun. The alternative is a seemingly endless virtual quarantine, stuck in Canada in the snow.

BarbaraOK

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/20 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

It's up to the individual to decide what's right or acceptable for themselves.

And that would be well and good EXCEPT the act of simply breathing out, if you are infected and contagious (usually before symptoms show) means that you can infect every individual within 4-5 meters of you. You might feel you are able to handle the disease. At 75, I am reasonably healthy, but know I'd probably get pretty sick. Hubby had quad by-pass this year with complications (why we spent the summer in AZ), and he's diabetic with only ~30% kidney function left - - it I get sick because I was near you, and give it to him, then he will die.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006
Figment II (2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ">
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761
Our Blog

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/20 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with a lot of the past few posts. But I am thinking that maybe by January it will be open. The impoved loonie is teasing me!!

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/20 04:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suppose with all the snowbirds stuck in the cold people will be hoarding toques and parkas.,

MPI_Mallard

Morpeth Ontario,St. Cloud Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/20 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good points made,, Frau Blücher and I have resolved to stay here in Ontario for this coming winter and as we are "full-timers" and sold the sticks n' bricks long ago and with the housing market here where a dump I wouldn't pay $100K for going #300K+ made it un reasonable to buy into I am forced to rent which I despise,,, oh well,,, I sent both the fat-man in Ontario and our first lady up in Ottawa e-mails suggesting they re-consider this border issue arguing the outright ridiculous fact that I'm able to fly to my owned winter property in Florida but I can't haul my fiver' across the Ambassador bridge being an un-fair burden that we and other Canadian retired tax paying snowbirds are forced to bear and that I for one will remember this come voting time as I'm sure other snow-birds will!!

Red Green: If life gives you lemons, throw 'em
into a quart of vodka.

07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blücher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

joebedford

Sheltering at home

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/20 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MDKMDK wrote:

It's apparent to some that the polls up here are asking Canadians who never cross the border anyway about it, and they are the ones who want to keep it closed, as it doesn't affect them either way.
I've been snowbirding every year (except 2017) for the last 17 years and I don't want the border to open. I was in the States when the pandemic was ramping up and obvious (to me) that a very dangerous problem was coming. My neighbors (the ones without the 'u') were engaging in what we considered to be very dangerous behavior (again without the 'u'). They still are from reports in the park.

Nope nope nope. Keep the border closed both ways. I'm skipping at least this year.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Changes to Snowbird lifestyle and Snowbird communitiess
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.