Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Changes to Snowbird lifestyle and Snowbird communitiess
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Changes to Snowbird lifestyle and Snowbird communitiess

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/20 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarbaraOK wrote:

Quote:

It's up to the individual to decide what's right or acceptable for themselves.

And that would be well and good EXCEPT the act of simply breathing out, if you are infected and contagious (usually before symptoms show) means that you can infect every individual within 4-5 meters of you. You might feel you are able to handle the disease. At 75, I am reasonably healthy, but know I'd probably get pretty sick. Hubby had quad by-pass this year with complications (why we spent the summer in AZ), and he's diabetic with only ~30% kidney function left - - it I get sick because I was near you, and give it to him, then he will die.

Since this is directed at me, I'll respond.
In my opinion, you should both avoid going anywhere at all, then. Masks aren't 100% effective in preventing transmission, or no one would ever die after a simple sugical procedure from sepsis, but it happens.
I also believe you can't penalize the vast majority of people because they "might" infect you, because you're more susceptible to catching something including coronavirus infections (like the seasonal flus and colds). If you're that fearful of catching it and dying, it's up to you to decide what level of risk you're comfortable accepting before you leave the house, knowing what you know about your own personal health situations, and what the "experts" have told us about CV19. You can't force otherwise healthy people to "coccoon" themselves forever because of your personal situation.
While I understand your concerns over your health, you can't hide under the bed forever, nor can you expect the rest of the world to accomodate your fears. It's also my considered opinion that even if you completely withdraw from society in an attempt to protect your self from the virus, you'll still eventually be exposed to it somehow, more than likely by that Amazon order you just received, or that pile of junk mail you just opened, or just something you ate or drank, or through some other chink in the armor, but it will happen eventually.
I've said it before, living in fear isn't really living at all, and that comes from a senior citizen with a compromised immune system .
Finally, before you go telling me how selfish I am, reread your post and tell me how we're different, in that respect.

Mike.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

joebedford

Sheltering at home

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/20 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

silversand wrote:

We are banking (er, the right word?) on the US side opening for Canadians by October/November, regardless what Canada does. What would it matter to Canada anyway, as only Canadians would be allowed back into Canada under that new reciprocity.
I'm hoping that Canada can implement some sort of rule like for Canadians who went to Syria to fight for ISIS: go to a COVID-19 infested country and you can't come back.

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/20 02:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joebedford wrote:

MDKMDK wrote:

It's apparent to some that the polls up here are asking Canadians who never cross the border anyway about it, and they are the ones who want to keep it closed, as it doesn't affect them either way.
I've been snowbirding every year (except 2017) for the last 17 years and I don't want the border to open. I was in the States when the pandemic was ramping up and obvious (to me) that a very dangerous problem was coming. My neighbors (the ones without the 'u') were engaging in what we considered to be very dangerous behavior (again without the 'u'). They still are from reports in the park.

Nope nope nope. Keep the border closed both ways. I'm skipping at least this year.

Again, directed at me.
I respect your opinion. I just disagree with it.
Peace.

joebedford

Sheltering at home

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/20 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MKDMDKDMKD: what ever happened to civic responsibility? Your last post is very negative and worded pejoratively. I wear a mask because I fear giving COVID-19 to YOU not the other way around. You might welcome getting it now because "you're eventually going to be exposed to it somehow".

If EVERYBODY gets exposed eventually, that will be about 380,000,000 deaths worldwide. I'm not prepared to accept that. I'll do what little I can to avoid spreading to others, even you.

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/20 02:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joebedford wrote:

silversand wrote:

We are banking (er, the right word?) on the US side opening for Canadians by October/November, regardless what Canada does. What would it matter to Canada anyway, as only Canadians would be allowed back into Canada under that new reciprocity.
I'm hoping that Canada can implement some sort of rule like for Canadians who went to Syria to fight for ISIS: go to a COVID-19 infested country and you can't come back.

Um, didn't the current PM let all the former Canadian ISIS fighters return to Canada, and give them the equivalent of the anonymity in a witness protection program, no questions asked? There's at least a few living the GTA. Google it, you'll be surprised.
I'd be OK with that degree of punishment. Might even get a $10.5M cash settlement to boot.
Peace.

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/20 02:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joebedford wrote:

MKDMDKDMKD: what ever happened to civic responsibility? Your last post is very negative and worded pejoratively. I wear a mask because I fear giving COVID-19 to YOU not the other way around. You might welcome getting it now because "you're eventually going to be exposed to it somehow".

If EVERYBODY gets exposed eventually, that will be about 380,000,000 deaths worldwide. I'm not prepared to accept that. I'll do what little I can to avoid spreading to others, even you.

I appreciate your concern, but please stop preaching to me about civic responsibility. I follow (grudgingly) all the current mandated rules to the letter, which are designed to diminish (not completely prevent) the chance that I might infect you or anyone else. What more do you want me to do? We could all drop dead tomorrow from any number of worldy perils, but to live the rest of your life in fear, again, isn't living at all.
If you're afraid of dying from Covid19, or infecting someone else with it, assuming you've got it asymptomatically which none of us knows, then by all means stay home and stay safe and keep others safe, but please don't tell me how to live my life, or what I should think or do, just because it's not in your playbook.
Peace.

BarbaraOK

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/20 04:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MDKMDK wrote:

Since this is directed at me, I'll respond.
In my opinion, you should both avoid going anywhere at all, then. Masks aren't 100% effective in preventing transmission, or no one would ever die after a simple sugical procedure from sepsis, but it happens.
I also believe you can't penalize the vast majority of people because they "might" infect you, because you're more susceptible to catching something including coronavirus infections (like the seasonal flus and colds).

How is EVERYONE wearing a mask penalizing any particular person? What is so horrible about wearing a mask, staying 6’ away from those you don’t have a close relationship with, practicing simple things that benefits everyone? The masks can provide 50-60% reduction in virus particles, plus deflect most particles upward instead of outward. So if you were a mask, and I wear a mask and we stay 6 ft apart, plus doing basic hygiene, the risk is greatly reduced. We now know it works. Where it is followed, infection rates go down. Where it is ignored, like Sturgis, we have infection rates Shoot up and projections of an addition 250,000 infections, which have already resulted in deaths.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006
Figment II (2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ">
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761
Our Blog

charlestonsouthern

Summerville, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/20 10:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MDKMDK, Are you speaking of the 10 percent tariff imposed by the US government around August 2020 on Canadian aluminum coming into the US? Sorry, I'm a little late reading this particular thread.

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/20 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MDKMDK wrote:

it's up to you to decide what level of risk you're comfortable accepting before you leave the house, knowing what you know about your own personal health situations, and what the "experts" have told us about CV19. You can't force otherwise healthy people to "coccoon" themselves forever because of your personal situation.

That is some very, very good food for thought.

We must all consider literally that all of "us" will (sooner or later) end up in a hospital, a medical clinic, or a dental office; all high-risk environments harboring potentially sars-cov-2, and numerous other viral pathogens. Unfortunately, non-medical staff arriving at hospitals, clinics and dental clinics are not permitted (by law) to wear N-95 PPE, and, in fact, will not even have the avail of a surgical mask during examination (especially for an oral issue or dental procedure(s)).

So, whether "we" are at our snowbirding destination, on the road to, or self-cocooning at "home", all of us will eventually be thrown into "the wild" outside our controlled environment (our homes), and be in a potentially infectious environment. This is what scares me the most; whether we end up at our snowbirding destination, or, forced to remain in Canada, in our environment presently experiencing a worrying resurgence of covid, as I type.

Our local hospitals and medical facilities aren't exactly places of advanced hospital technology, being more than 5 decades old.

Just to be clear, I'm not advocating that we behave differently from our present high level of responsibility when moving from Canada to our snowbirding locale, and over the winter.

One other consideration is any potential "vaccine". We have to be careful of our anticipation of a "silver bullet" this soon in the game. We are cautiously optimistic that at least two vaccines seem to "work", but know (as my better half and I had spent some time in a BSL-4 lab where some of the world's most deadly viruses were being researched) that proven and trusted vaccines with no trial shortcuts, have long development time-lines; complicating this is efficacy rates across all age cohorts (adjuvants can be very hard to get right). With this in mind, the World needs to rapidly deploy deep saliva tests with same-day results broadly, so we can get back to some semblance of recovery, and cross-border movement, because IF a vaccine isn't forthcoming by the 1st Quarter of 2021, the "human environment" won't be sustainable under present Global shutdown regimes.

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/20 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please avoid politics or the mod will kill this thread. It is an excellent read.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Changes to Snowbird lifestyle and Snowbird communitiess
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.