Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Changes to Snowbird lifestyle and Snowbird communitiess
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Changes to Snowbird lifestyle and Snowbird communitiess

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
MPI_Mallard

Morpeth Ontario,St. Cloud Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/20 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joebedford wrote:

MDKMDK wrote:

It's apparent to some that the polls up here are asking Canadians who never cross the border anyway about it, and they are the ones who want to keep it closed, as it doesn't affect them either way.
I've been snowbirding every year (except 2017) for the last 17 years and I don't want the border to open. I was in the States when the pandemic was ramping up and obvious (to me) that a very dangerous problem was coming. My neighbors (the ones without the 'u') were engaging in what we considered to be very dangerous behavior (again without the 'u'). They still are from reports in the park.

Nope nope nope. Keep the border closed both ways. I'm skipping at least this year.

We were there last winter as well and the closest case of covid was almost an hour away and here in Ontario we were surrounded by cases five minutes away! As adults we simply govern ourselves responsibly here and would do the same in Florida! It's funny to me that I don't know anyone that has covid,, I'm not saying it doesn't exist but I don't live in fear of it either. Frankly I think the whole thing is being blown way out of proportion.

07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Bl├╝cher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

Trekkar

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/20 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many views have been expressed, and opinions are like ______; we all have them. I believe our U.S. responses have more to do with politics than medicine. Hopefully, things will begin to improve after November. Stay as safe and worry-free as you can.

2001 RoadTrek 190

BarbaraOK

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/20 01:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As some one in a "Snowbird" area, who didn't get to leave last spring because of health problems with my hubby, let me give you an idea of what you'll find when you get here, if you are coming to the Mesa, AZ area.

The whole country is Mandatory Masks when going into ANY place of business.

Restaurants are open, with all staff wearing masks, and people wearing them in and out, only taking off masks when actually eating. Most of them have take-out/pickup. Some you do have to go in, but a lot will bring it out to the car. A lot of the fast food franchises have apps where you can pay ahead, which is what we do, and then have a couple of dollars ready for the delivery person to put in the tip jar if one is sitting on the ledge of the drive-thru.

Some bars have opened, and then been quickly closed when patrons wouldn't follow distancing rules, no singing, no dancing, no performing, and reduced capacity. IOW, the college students swarmed the bars when they opened and posted pictures on social media, state liquor licensing department came in and PULLED THEIR LIQUOR LICENSES!

Gyms are once again opened, but at greatly reduced capacity, masks required at all times, etc.

About August 1st, Gov. Ducey got a little more serious, that's when he closed down gyms and bars state wide. And the numbers are going down, though with schools open again, there could be an uptick coming in the next couple of weeks. The colleges have set aside dorms to house students testing positive to be quarantined. No students are sent home as that would only spread the disease all over, which is what happened after Spring Break last March.

All of the grocery stores have at least some of their stores that will bring your groceries out to the car and most have waived the pickup fee while the virus is still around. Most do have a minimum by, either $25 or $35 per order. In addition, a lot of things from Costco can be ordered online with 2-3 day shipping.

All of the hospitals/clinics/labs seem to be open. Many no longer allow anyone to come in with the patient unless they are in a wheel chair. Dave has done several physician appointments with open phones so that I can hear what is being said, ask questions, provide answers as to medications/timing/diet, etc. All require patients to wear masks when in the facility. We haven't been to the dentist yet, trying to work up the courage to go sit with my mouth open for the 20 minutes or so for a cleaning!

Salons are open, but everyone must wear a mask. Ours here in the park is not doing shampoos and only those with appointment allowed in. Right now it is just one stylist, another being added next month as the park starts to fill up again.

Sept. 1st was the first day that people were allowed back in to our park. They closed in down in April and once people left, no coming back in until September. All of the open recreation in the park is open. Most of the 'indoor' things are open with Masks Required, limited seating, spacing, etc. They are not going to have 'fitness classes' this fall, but the Fitness Center is open (spaced out) for individual use. Pools are open, but number of limited depending upon the size of the pool and everyone NOT in the pool has to have a mask on.

We did venture (both of us) inside one retail establishment, a Walgreens to get our Flu Vaccine, otherwise I do all of the errands and Dave stays home. We carry our masks with us when walking around the park in case we come upon others walking. Of course, until this week that has all be VERY LATE evening or VERY EARLY morning as it has been literally as HOT AS HELL here.[emoticon]

If you have any questions that I can answer, please ask.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006
Figment II (2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ">
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761
Our Blog

alfredmay

West Milford, NJ / Donna, TX

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/20 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The park I winter in has an interesting set up that could be an option for Canadians. Victoria Palms RV Resort in Donna, TX which is in the center of the Rio Grande Valley has around 1000 sites that are divided between mobile homes, park models and RVs. In addition to this there are 20 motel rooms and 100 suites. All rooms and suites are on the ground floor. The suites consist of an eat in kitchen, a living room, a bedroom and a bathroom.

Donna, Texas is served by two airports in McAllen and Harlingen with service provided by American, United, Delta, Sun Country, and Southwest.

Alfred May
2005 Excursion V10 4.30 4x4
2002 Cedar Creek 30RBS TT by Forest River
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

Trekkar

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/20 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trekkar wrote:

Many views have been expressed, and opinions are like ______; we all have them. I believe our U.S. responses have more to do with politics than medicine. Hopefully, things will begin to improve after November. Stay as safe and worry-free as you can.

You know, even though this post does have the word 'politics' in it, I did not think of it as a political post. Just pointing out some of the differences between Covid responses. I apologize if I caused any inadvertent feather-ruffling.

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/20 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ya know, countries have the right to impose whatever they want to impose so long as their citizens allow it. I respect both countries right to do as they please. And if there is a tit for tat, i understand that too. Even the tightest of neighbors, and even families, will occasionally have disagreements. No biggie; we'll all kiss and make up eventually.

Dog Trainer

Richmond Mi.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/20 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was thinking about all of this and it seems to me we are all itching to get back to normal. The new normal will be established after we find out what and where are exposure will be.
As for us we left the Snowbird park March 25th and have more or less been in the hunker down mode since.
My mother is still alive but with health issues DW has some autoimmune issues and I have some health issues myself so it is prudent for us to be on the extremely cautious side
Not planning on going south this year but that could change I can,t imagine the traffic jams going south if this thing gets under some kind of control the latter part of the year.
I thought about my young life and remembering back I don,t think I would have given this virus as much respect as I do now. I also thought about my time time spent in Nam lonely and sequestered from the fine things in life. The difference between the Nam and the virus there was date of departure from the Nam and none yet for the virus
We spent our winters in a snowbird park because we loved the environment Chats in the street, Golf, Kayaking, Dances Meals in the club house and the occasional pot luck. Because I enjoy those things so much I will for the duration sit at home and dream of the good times that will return Also will look towards meeting again with my Canadian friends that we enjoyed good times with.
My advise to anyone at this time is to follow your heart and common sense and resist your urges and temptations.

2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

Scottiemom

Florida/On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/20 04:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarbaraOK wrote:

Where it is ignored, like Sturgis, we have infection rates Shoot up and projections of an addition 250,000 infections, which have already resulted in deaths.

This has been debunked by the SD Governor Kristi Noem who cited the use of cell phone data to come up with number. In reality, SD had 70 hospitalizations. . . Here is her statement:

At one point, academic modeling also told us that South Dakota would have 10,000 COVID patients in the hospital at our peak. Today, we have less than 70. I look forward to good journalists, credible academics, and honest citizens repudiating this nonsense, Gov. Noem said.

Dale

Dale Pace
Wife to Terry (Teacher's Pet)
2006 Tiffin Phaeton 40'(Phaeton Place)
2014 Ford Flex
2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 213 (MinnieMee)
Fulltiming since 2005

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
Where are we?

BarbaraOK

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/20 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Scottiemom wrote:

This has been debunked by the SD Governor Kristi Noem who cited the use of cell phone data to come up with number. In reality, SD had 70 hospitalizations. . . Here is her statement:

At one point, academic modeling also told us that South Dakota would have 10,000 COVID patients in the hospital at our peak. Today, we have less than 70. I look forward to good journalists, credible academics, and honest citizens repudiating this nonsense, Gov. Noem said.

Dale

Hospitalizations do not equal infections. Most individuals who are infected do not end up in the hospital. If you look at the positivity rate in both North Dakota and South Dakota you will see that they shot straight up following the event. And the 250,000 infections is for the entire country - - most people who attended Sturgis WEREN'T FROM THE DAKOTAS. They came from all over and spread the disease back as they returned. That is the same reason that colleges that reopen are setting up quarantine dorms, because public health officials all over the country have asked that students who become infected to be quarantined in place rather than sending them home, which results in the disease spreading all over, just like it did after Spring Break last March/April.

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/20 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a permanent site in central Florida at a very good RV park, great friends , lots to do BUT all that said, everything is communal. From the dances to the pot lucks to all the games . Everyone is right on top of one another. Heck when we play cards many bring in candy or other treats, of course they complain about the cards getting "sticky", but the entire experience is close and friendly. We cannot take the chance this season and will still home by choice. I wish all good luck and hope that you make it through this winter as it isn't going to be a healthy one. Take care of each other!

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Changes to Snowbird lifestyle and Snowbird communitiess
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.