Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Driving a 33' Class A
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Driving a 33' Class A

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
scbwr

North Ridgeville, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/20 04:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our Bay Star is in the 33'range and I wouldn't travel in it without having another vehicle for getting around, sightseeing, etc. I don't have any experience with a class C, but having owned a Dodge dually that was about the length of your class C, I'll say that there is a big difference in maneuvering a 21' rig versus 33' class A.

Having owned 2 travel trailers and then getting our Bay Star a little over 2 years ago, I will also suggest that you think about a travel trailer/fifth wheel with a good truck for towing it. I love the advantages of our class A, but even owning a gas class A comes with a price in terms of service and maintenance.

Also, once you get into towing a car, whether 4 wheels down or on a dolly, it can cost quite a bit for the gear and installation. You may be able to save quite a bit if you can handle the installation of a base plate and required wiring.

2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

georgelesley

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/20 05:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have owned everything from a class B van to a 34’ class A. DW and I both drive the 34” class A. We both agree the length makes little difference. The height and width matter as far as driving goes. I doubt you will find much difference in driving what you have now.

George & Lesley
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C, 2019 Jeep Cherokee Lattitude Plus toad, Demco/SMI towing system

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/20 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Define "getting around" and "maneuverability". If you get to a CG and stay there then I think you will find travelling and getting to a destination not much different than your class C. But if you are going to use it for sight seeing and a grocery getter, then you are going to have issues. While you can park a Class A in a grocery store parking lot, you aren't going to be able to take it downtown, most restaurants, a lot of local attractions etc. Maneuvering in any downtown area will not be a fun experience, let alone parking. Then there is always the thought of having to break camp every time you want to go somewhere. You can rent a car if a service is available but when we had our Class A, we never went anywhere without our TOAD. It's so simple to hook up, it just makes no sense not to be without one. But most RV's beyond 20-ish footers are not "nimble" and can't really be used like a car.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Ridge Silverback 29rw

Cobra21

minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/20 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for all the great comments! The 21 with out a slide is difficult for 2 people exchanging places with in. I don't think we could take much over a week in it. Have owned it over 10 years. This is probably a trade off worth the while. We have a 32 in our sights.
Thanks Again, Brian

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Driving a 33' Class A
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.