Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Interesting entry steps / stairs.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Interesting entry steps / stairs.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/20 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used something similar to this Little Giant stair system with the handrail folded down. Was stable and lightweight, and stored easily inside the camper

Folding steps

I should add that the wide steps were not so scary for my dogs to walk on.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/20 06:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The steps look solid but will take up storage space and may be too inconvenient to mount/dismount for quick stops. I prefer a steps that stow in place and can be quickly accessed.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/20 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Steps like the ones in the original post also dump dirt / water, etc in the door when you fold them up if you don't thoroughly clean them off before stowing.
A lot of TT owners hate that style step for the same reason.

Bedlam wrote:

I prefer a steps that stow in place and can be quickly accessed.

Ditto.

Here's the steps I run

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20, sold 7/28/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/20 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the treads could be improved using flat bar, on edge, rather then flat sheet metal. Good grip and wouldn't act like a tray for dirt to sit on.
As for storing them, if you've got detachable scissor steps, you're already putting them inside and need to pull them out, expand and install to get in the camper anyway. So would be a wash in terms of the PITA factor.
I think the extendable legs, to compensate for uneven ground, could be a tripping hazard if you have to have one leg way out.

"> 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/20 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you thinking about a lip on the leading edge of each step or more of an open grate design? I agree it would add to traction but it would also make barefoot and sandal use uncomfortable. If you have pets, I doubt they would like an open grate. Am I not understanding this?

It used to be the case that scissor steps would have to be stowed, but many people figured out a way to mount them so they did not have be removed. Torklift even sells an accessory for their stairs so they stow in place. I use the Revolution steps on my side entry, so they are always ready to deploy and my application required six steps to reach the camper entry. My setup is taller than most, so I am lucky there is a modular system that cam be put together based on the height required.

Adjustable feet make a big difference with stability on uneven ground. I am on my second set of stairs with adjustable pads on the bottom. Prior to this I used to shim the bottom bar on uneven ground to keep the stairs steady and from twisting under weight. Adjustable feet also allow for finer height adjustment if you need a half step height rather than full.

c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/20 02:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed M wrote:

I used something similar to this Little Giant stair system with the handrail folded down. Was stable and lightweight, and stored easily inside the camper

Folding steps

I should add that the wide steps were not so scary for my dogs to walk on.

These are the steps I bought for my Bunduvry camper, my dogs have no problem climbing them.

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Interesting entry steps / stairs.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.