Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Just bought Truck Camper- how do I move
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Just bought Truck Camper- how do I move

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/20 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

5 ratchet straps rub the paint.
6 ratchet straps break without warning.

Loads of lumber on semi trucks are held on with only ratchet straps,big ones but they are nylon straps..Been there done that for years..

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/20 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have tie down loops in your truck bed is there a way to secure those to the camper tie downs? I'm thinking maybe Harbor Freight straps (chokers) and ratchet straps combined, or just ratchet straps. That would keep the straps from marking the camper. Assuming you have a sprayed bed.

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/20 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

7. Ratchet straps dent bed sides (assuming OPs truck is a pickup not a flatbed).

Bad recommendation without knowing all the details.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/20 11:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

Kayteg1 wrote:

Loads of lumber on semi trucks are held on with only ratchet straps,big ones but they are nylon straps..Been there done that for years..

You use ratchet straps over the bedsides of your pickup? Some people do. The ones who aren’t concerned with damaging their truck bed.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/20 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

Kayteg1 wrote:

Truckers don't worry about paint damage on the bed.
They also use wider straps.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/20 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TxGearhead wrote:

If you have tie down loops in your truck bed is there a way to secure those to the camper tie downs? I'm thinking maybe Harbor Freight straps (chokers) and ratchet straps combined, or just ratchet straps. That would keep the straps from marking the camper. Assuming you have a sprayed bed.

This is also a bad recommendation. Having straps in contact with top edge of truck bed.

OP can get some brophy mounts to “get by”. That’s the only semi safe option that won’t contact the truck bed I can think of.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/20 11:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can buy any size/width of ratchet straps you want..I have a pair of 30K ratchet straps..Four inches wide,same width as semi straps..

They come in different sizes Kayteg..LOL..NOTE..The 1/2/3/4 is the width of the straps in inches or "...Not number 1-2 etc..

Quote:

1” Ratchet Straps have a breaking strength that ranges from 3,000 - 6,000 lbs depending on the webbing and hardware.

2” Ratchet Straps have a breaking strength that ranges between 6,000 - 12,000 lbs, and WLL ranging from 833 to 3,333 pounds depending on the hardware ends.

3” Ratchet Straps have a breaking strength of around 15,000 lbs and WLL of 5,400 lbs or less depending on the hardware attachments.

4” Ratchet Straps have a breaking strength of around 15,000 lbs lbs and WLL of 5,400 lbs depending of the hardware.

I can't tell you how many miles I put on this truck without any tie downs as known on the internet..Just a chain from the front stake pocket to the rear TC tie down and a swimming noodle to keep it from rubbing the paint..LOL

Look Mom..No tie downs!

[image]

All kidding aside..When I first started truck camping,there was no Torklift or HappiJack tie downs..We had to just make it work and we did it with whatever..Straps will certainly get you home and if your creative,without any scratches as we did for years before these expensive setups.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/20 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As always, YMMV

[image]

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/20 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used bed stake tie downs and turnbuckles back in the 1980's. As far as I knew that's all there was. Never an issue. Weight of the cabover was unknown. I didn't know what a CAT scale was. Never been to a truck stop.

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/20 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

roadtrip1919 wrote:

I bought a 2005 Arctic Fox and need to transport from Jax to Tallahassee. Have 2008 F450 but tie downs haven't arrived yet. How do you transport temporarily if you don't have real tie downs like Torklift. Will straps instead of tie downs work if I take it very easy on interstate?

Don’t transport it if you aren’t properly equipped to do so. That camper could come off and hurt someone.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Just bought Truck Camper- how do I move
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.