Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Looking for a quality Toy hauler but discouraged.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Looking for a quality Toy hauler but discouraged.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/20 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

That said, toy haulers get a premium that I really don't understand. There really isn't a construction reason for them being so much higher price.

The floors are build completely different, plus bigger tanks, heavier frame, ramp door etc. And the biggest difference seems to be the generator and on board fuel station. If you skip those two options, the prices aren't much more than a similar-sized premium travel trailer.

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/20 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

carringb wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

That said, toy haulers get a premium that I really don't understand. There really isn't a construction reason for them being so much higher price.

The floors are build completely different, plus bigger tanks, heavier frame, ramp door etc. And the biggest difference seems to be the generator and on board fuel station. If you skip those two options, the prices aren't much more than a similar-sized premium travel trailer.

Go price up used ones...even without generator or fuel station, the toy hauler asking prices seem to be 20-40% higher.

For similar size, construction doesn't seem substantially heavier duty and a ramp door isn't that expensive.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/20 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I felt the same way about the poor quality in TH. In 2006 I purchased a 32ft. gooseneck Wells Cargo and installed 12 feet of living quarters in it. It was a fun project but not one i would take on again. That trailer was sweet, hauled my Jeep inside 70 gallons of water and towed like a dream. I sold it for A class C.
Just sold my Class C and went back to a toy hauler. I found a Work and Play here in Ca. Not a common unit . They are cargo trailers that they install living quarters in, built like a tank, very nose heavy. A 2015 with minor issues but the trailer is built well. All Rv's have the basic appliances, they fail you toss them, NBD. My concern is the trailer itself. Good frame, solid walls and aluminum roof.
I personally prefer the fiberglass one piece walls. Easy to maintain.

KIDZBOX

Scotts Valley, CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/20 05:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maintenance by the owner is key. We have a 2005 Keystone raptor and I guarantee we've pretty much put as many dollars into for maintenance as we originally paid for it. In the past month we've replaced all tires (7. Replaced fuel station, fixed breaks, re packed axles and a bunch of other stuff that has put us a more than $5k If you find an older TH that has had no maint then walk, no run away......

2005 Raptor 3512 FW TH

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/20 06:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hardline wrote:

Are there certain brands that last better to be in the used market?

Yes, Outdoors RV: https://outdoorsrvmfg.com/trail-series/

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20, sold 7/28/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

JAC1982

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/20 12:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think right now in general is a rough time to try to buy a camper, new or used. I always peruse the Facebook Marketplace as I've always wanted a little fixer upper travel trailer, and the prices people are asking right now are crazy. 7 grand for a 1969 travel trailer that still needs work? 6 grand for a 15 year old pop up? A neighbor of mine is asking $52,000 for their 2016 Impact. I suggested 40-45 when she asked me my opinion (our Impact toy hauler that we recently traded in was a 2017 and we got 50 for it as a trade, right before the Covid wave hit).

I agree though that the issues you are seeing are mostly due to poor maintenance. Our old one was in perfect shape except for some oxidation issues on the outside from sitting in the sun... easy fix. Just have to keep looking I think.

ATC's are really nice, some friends have one on order. But when she told me what they're paying for it, I nearly choked.

2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch

hvac

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/20 11:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On our 4th year running the Midwest to the west coast in our ATC 28 front bedroom. It's a brutal 4 to 5 month journey. Well over 13k miles annually.
It's a joy. No surprises. It just take the abuse with no complaints. Basic maintenance on axles. New tires. Roof vents all have had issue I fixed.
Running a gen Y torsion hitch.
It's a gem to drive, heavy hitch weight and spread axle independent torsion susp. She never sways.
If you can find a used one get it.No wood. Anywhere. We installed foam tile flooring throughout entire coach. Much better in cooler weather.

Stclairm

Fuquay-Varina, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/20 11:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your budget will determine what kind you can get unfortunately. The ATC's are all $50,000 plus. Outdoors RV and Northwood are quite pricey as well. I wish Livin Lite hadn't gone out of business.

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/20 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One issue I have noticed is the failure to maintain their units. There isn't any trip that I haven't returned with a list of items to check and repair. On my 2015 Work and Play the bracket holding the water tank broke, the thermostat needs help , The fridge cover came loose. As I mentioned, working with a sturdy frame and body comes first for me, the appliances are all throw-away, made a cheap as possible items. Fun costs money. Im having fun, even having fun making repairs and showing pride in ownership. Heck, I hand waxed and compounded the whole rig.

Dennis58

North Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have crunched the numbers on just about every Toy Hauler out there and unless you’re stepping up to an ATC or Sundowner the rest suck for GVWR. Might not be a problem if all you’re hauling is bicycles and kayaks.

I have decided for me anyway the best approach is an older Carson Fun Runner in the 25’ range. That gives you a front bedroom and decent garage area. These can be bought for $7K-$15K in the 20 to 26 foot range around year models 2005 to 2012. Lot of guys use then in the desert to haul sand rails.

I would buy something like this and remodel the inside and use it until I was done with it than dispose of it for whatever the market would bare. I’m not dumping $50K into something to just camp in.

The Carson’s Fun Runners seem to be mostly located on the west coast so some travel to fine one will be required.

Dennis

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Looking for a quality Toy hauler but discouraged.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.