Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Shurflow pump problem UPDATE
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Shurflow pump problem UPDATE

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/20 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

These pumps are SUPPOSED to be self priming. However they can Air Lock.
So as one reply. JUST ONE that I saw Said. Open a major faucet. or stand on the toilet flush vlave to relieve all pressure on the pump outlet. YOu should hear it pick up and prime

I also suggest filling the supply tank FULL.

That's basically what I did but I filled the fresh water tank completely, opened the nearest faucet on the cold side and it finally primed and started working

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/20 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad you got it running.

For future readers...
A pump is never shot if the pump is running. It can be fixed. These pumps consist of a motor and a head. The head is typically a diaphram made of rubbery flaps. The flaps might be bad, torn, degraded or clogged with debris, but can be replaced or cleaned. A little spec of plastic bit is enough to keep the flap from closing fully and if it is full of air, not water, then it will not be able to pull nearly as strong as it could pull on water. That one spec of plastic debris is enough to prevent priming in a dry pump.

By filling the tank full you are putting more pressure on the water to be pushed into the pump, so that helps overcome the issue, whatever issue the pump was having to pull.

As mentioned, the pumps are not at all cooled by the water, so can run dry with no issues, the motor does run dry even when pumping water so-to-speak because the water never cools the electric pump anyway. The pump head has water, the motor does not.

Actually a tiny spec will likely just pass on through to your faucet, but it is the debris that is more fish hook shaped that will get caught in the pump head. A filter or just a wire screen thing before the pump will prevent this.

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/20 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good info, thanks.

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/20 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our Flo-jet pump was left on accidentally in storage and when the bit of remaining water evaporated it started to run. It may have been running for weeks. It would still pump up to normal pressure and hold without back leaking but it refused to prime anymore. Now I can say it was directly caused by that. I did find out quite some time later that it would prime with the tank clear full. I took the head apart a couple different times and never found anything. So after having to manually prime it with the winterizing tube dozens of times I finally got around to just replacing the pump. I should have done that years ago.

You may find yours still won’t prime with less than a full tank.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Shurflow pump problem UPDATE
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.