Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Purchasing used...how to know if it is stolen or not?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Purchasing used...how to know if it is stolen or not?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
bob_nestor

murphy

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/20 05:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

VIN numbers are stolen and duplicated all the time. Have friend in Alaska who has an original vintage T-Bird with all the original paperwork. He went to register for new plates and was told he'd sold the vehicle and it was registered in Colorado. Took him a year to prove that this wasn't the case and authorities finally nullified the Colorado title and re-instituted his Alaska title.

As for checking with authorities on the state of a used vehicle, I have another friend who bought a good used car in a private sale after checking with authorities, running the VIN, doing a title search, etc. He financed it thru his Credit Union which did some of the same background checks. A few months later authorities knocked on his door to impound the vehicle and place him under arrest for having possession of a stolen vehicle. Turns out it was stolen in New Jersey, had the paperwork forged up for new title in Texas where he bought it. The original owner reported it stolen and paid off their note, so they no longer owned the car. The Texas authorities took the car, but released him when the found out what had happened, but he was still on the hook for his financing thru the Credit Union. He asked what he could do and was advised by the authorities to report the vehicle as stolen to get out from under the financing.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/20 06:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you worry to much. this is not a car or minnie bike.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/20 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NV, just like CA doesn't register TC.
What are you guys making here?

mr_andyj

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/20 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

same question could apply to buying a used washer/dryer or a used lawn mower. None of these are vehicles either.
Unless you are in a State where the TC is considered a vehicle and has to have a tag there is not a lot you can do, but also not a lot that can be done if it is stolen unless the owner actually sees it and starts legal process. Then he will need proof that it was his.

Not sure if you are worried about the morality of buying stolen, or of the possibility you lose it.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/20 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's all in the bill of sale and how it's worded..

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

RandMJacobs

Somewhere in the USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/20 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr_andyj wrote:

same question could apply to buying a used washer/dryer or a used lawn mower. None of these are vehicles either.
Unless you are in a State where the TC is considered a vehicle and has to have a tag there is not a lot you can do, but also not a lot that can be done if it is stolen unless the owner actually sees it and starts legal process. Then he will need proof that it was his.

Not sure if you are worried about the morality of buying stolen, or of the possibility you lose it.

I understand that it is not really that much different than buying a washer/dryer as far as if stolen...other than a used washer/dryer is probably under $300-$500 and isn't out on the road. I certainly wouldn't buy anything I knew was stolen no matter how good a deal it was. BUT, a TC could be $10K or much more...and that is a LOT of money to put at risk...not to mention that when you are using it, it is out there for anyone to recognize and say...hey, that's my trailer. Heck, if someone stole MY TC, I'd sure as hell keep an eye out for it. My point is what I can do to best protect against being out a lot of money I personally can't afford to put at risk or to find out if there is/isn't a way to access stolen property records to bounce the serial number against it. Or maybe I should just buy only from an original owner or require a paper trail from initial purchase to current owner. Granted, there can be things hidden that you can't always guarantee against, but I will do as much as possible to level that playing field.

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/20 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

It's all in the bill of sale and how it's worded..

WRONG. Selling a stolen camper is a crime, making the seller a criminal. Receiving stolen property is also a crime, making the buyer a criminal. Having a bill of sale as an agreement that documents these crimes does absolutely nothing to protect either party, regardless of what it says.

Having a bill of sale that says the seller represents and warrants that he owns the camper and that it's not stolen would probably keep the buyer out of jail since he can claim he took reasonable measures to ensure they property wasn't stolen, BUT the camper is still going back to its rightful owner and the buyer is out his $10k.

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/20 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

WRONG.

I beleive you misunderstood his comment.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/20 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Raise a hand who bought on craigslist an item for less than 20% of its original value?
Do you really think the seller paid for it full price?

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/20 12:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are obviously "getting-in-the-weeds" on this discussion, but if someone if overly concerned, I'll bet there is a company out there willing to write a surety bond (for a fee of course.)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Purchasing used...how to know if it is stolen or not?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.