Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Reasonably Priced Portable Compressor Fridge
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Reasonably Priced Portable Compressor Fridge

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/20 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In July, I bought a new camping beer fridge to replace an old thermoelectric cooler that was just so-so at cooling. The best I ever saw out of it was about 24° below ambient. It was also a power hog, pulling about 75 watts running on its AC power brick. No thermostat, so that was 100% of the time. The worst thing about the thermoelectric cooler was that it could also be a warmer, and you changed its mode with a bi-directional plug rather than a protected switch. Two times over the 10 years or so that I owned it, I accidentally plugged it in wrong, and caused it to heat my beer to 24° ABOVE ambient [emoticon]

Did you know that beer will explode at that temperature? I didn’t either.

The new one is a 12-24v DC/120v AC, real compressor fridge. I’ve been very pleased with it. It’s just the right size for my use. I’ll only be using it as a drink fridge, to keep from having to open the LP fridge so much.

Here’s a link to it on Amazon.

Starting it up the first time, I took this picture after it had been running for about 45 minutes, and had dropped the temperature ~35°. There were 12 uncooled water bottles inside with a wireless temperature sensor. It was pulling ~57 watts using the AC power brick. Very quiet.

[image]

I let it run on its lowest (coldest) setting until the temperature bottomed out, which took it about 24 hrs. The wireless sensor is measuring air temp, the fridge is measuring the surface temp of the sides of the box. The compressor is running continuously at that setting, and note that the watts have dropped to just under 43.

[image]

And we have hard water [emoticon]

[image]

It’s been running in my garage keeping my beer cold for over two months now. I keep the box set on 26-27°, and the beer stays about 35°. The compressor is cycling on/off 4-6 times an hour.

[image]

The control panel auto-locks so you can’t inadvertently make changes to the settings. It also has a “battery protection” feature, that’s supposed to keep it from completely flattening the battery when it’s in DC mode. I haven’t tested that at all.

So, good fridge, reasonable price, and so far good service (knock on wood). [emoticon]

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/20 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now you're just teasing us. Ya gotta tell us who makes it, where ya got it from and what ya laid out for it.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/20 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have about 30 years old, similar shape Norcold.
I don't use it much, but it will freeze when used inside 78F house.
The main issue is that even those fridges can get low temperatures over the time, they don't have interior fans and low output. When I used it on the boat and loaded with warm beer- 4 hr later you could barely tell the temp difference.
You should buy better beer.
I had beer frozen in my fridge, when I forget it and I start drinking it as soon as it started to melt.
That tasted very bad as the first thing the melt was the herbs and alcohol, when water was still frozen.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/20 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

Now you're just teasing us. Ya gotta tell us who makes it, where ya got it from and what ya laid out for it.

Sorry, it’s in the link. Kinda small, I know, so here’s the important info:

The price is $240 including shipping, and there’s a $12 coupon if you buy it on Amazon.

The manufacturer name is “ F40C4TMP ”. No clue how you pronounce that [emoticon]

[emoticon][emoticon]

* This post was edited 10/09/20 11:38am by NRALIFR *

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/20 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

.............You should buy better beer.

I buy lots of different beers, but I do buy a lot of Yuengling.

They must be doing something right, being they are America’s oldest brewery. Everything of theirs that doesn’t say “Light” or “Pumkin Spice” on the label has been exceedingly drinkable. [emoticon]

[emoticon][emoticon]

* This post was edited 10/09/20 10:35am by NRALIFR *

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/20 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice!

Keep us up to date how it holds up down the road..I looked and looked for a compressor fridge/freezer and decided to get an Engel when they went on a super special in the spring..I constantly read about them..

IceCo has a new one out called the Icooler I find interesting..It looks like a Yetti with the rubber straps etc but it has a Danfoss compressor also..I went with Engel just for it's very low power consumption and reputation but I paid for both compared to a bunch out there..

My main reason for a compressor refer was the ability to park off level and not worry and trips to the city for frozen stuff..

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

Tiger4x4RV

Inland Empire, Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/20 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A review of this same frig popped up on one of my favorite YouTube channels this morning. Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wb6VDbn55s

I like this reviewer because his explanations are clear and not too technical. He discloses that he was given the frig to try out, but notes a couple of times that he has nothing to gain or lose if you decide to buy or not buy it. He has only had an ice cooler before. He demonstrates setting up the frig, shows a real bag of groceries going into it, times the cooling, shows how much current it uses (from his vehicle's 12V plug while on the road and from the 12V plug on his Jackery power supply when parked.

In the text which goes with the video, there is an Amazon link and a code for a $40 discount which is good until October 26, 2020.

My own disclosure: I have owned and used a portable frig (another brand, similar size and functions)for several years to supplement the old and iffy 3-way in my RV. It is a game-changer for camping!

2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/20 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote:

They must be doing something right, being they are America’s oldest brewery. Everything of theirs that doesn’t say “Light” or “Pumkin Spice” on the label has been exceedingly drinkable. [emoticon]

[emoticon][emoticon]

They do it right becouse they are German brewery operating on US soil.
For years my favorite was Beck's who had good pricing at Costco, but once they moved the production to US, I lost the taste for it.
Can't find Yuengling on West coast and I am big fan of Honey beers like "Perla" or "Lomza".
Available only in European delicatessen.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/20 10:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote:

Where do you get Yuengling "out west" ? I can't even get it in MI !

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/20 10:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are only 2 or 3 companies that make low voltage DC compressors. Danfoss (or what ever name they are selling under because the have been bought/sold/merged with other companies over the past 20 tears) is one. Cubigel is another.

Technically, these are NOT 12VDC compressors. There is an a small box of electronic that converts the 12VDC to 3 phase AC or brushless DC to drive the actual motor.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Reasonably Priced Portable Compressor Fridge
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.