Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Motor Home or Toy Hauler
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Motor Home or Toy Hauler

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
samsontdog

Oregon, Wash Coast summer, Yuma Az winter

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/20 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Daughter and SIL are both retiring soon and moving from NY to Calif to be near her family. They will be buying a house in the Sac Ca area but so far can not find what they want. SIL thinks they should buy a Toy Hauler since he is 6ft 5 and he thinks the MH Class a is not tall enough
for him. This will be just to live in while they find a Home to buy.They will not haul any toys in the Toy H just them selfs and 2 big dogs. Now she said she wants 2 bed rooms since he snores plus 2 bath rs. Is this possible? Dont they have some MHs with tall ceilings? Forget the 2 bath rms? They both want "new" whatever they buy. I think they are crazy but that's just me

samsontdog">">

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/20 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure I follow. There are all kinds of toy haulers, Class A's, FW's, trailers etc. Are you referring to a Fifth wheel? And if so that doesn't have to b a toy hauler. But an Rv with a taller ceiling doesn't necessarily have to be a toy hauler. Few MH's have 2 bedrooms. Lots of FW's have 2 bed 2 bath but you also need a truck big enough to pull it.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/20 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They'd be better off renting an apartment for a few months unless they plan on using the toyhauler for the next few years.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2016 RZR 900

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/20 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are not alone in your thinking of their decision making process. I vote TH if they have an adequate TV.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/20 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Couple things...toy haulers are built to carry the weight of toys behind the axle and still have adequate pin/tongue weight. When there are no toys in the garage, and no offsetting weight behind the axles, they are impossibly heavy on the pin/tongue. Planning to use a toy hauler with no toys is not a good idea.

How are the thinking of living in the RV? If they have a place to park it, a 5er is probably the best choice. If they have to stay mobile, then a MH is probably better.

FWIW, I have about 4" more headroom in my Lance TC than I did on my 34' Terry TT. Ceiling height is more function of RV type and manufacturer than whether Class A, B, C etc.

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/20 01:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forest River makes a two bedroom, two bathroom trailer that may suit their needs. it is the Wildwood DLX 4002Q model.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/20 03:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are the dogs kennel trained? One nice thing with a toy hauler is the garage makes a good place to put the kennals.

If headroom is really a concern, a 5th wheel is a good option and larger ones can be found with 2 bedrooms. Do they have a truck capable of handling a big 5er? A big one with 2 bedrooms is likely in 1 ton dually territory.

Do they have any RV experience? I would have to agree that it's crazy to buy big and new if they have no experience.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/20 05:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

Couple things...toy haulers are built to carry the weight of toys behind the axle and still have adequate pin/tongue weight. When there are no toys in the garage, and no offsetting weight behind the axles, they are impossibly heavy on the pin/tongue. Planning to use a toy hauler with no toys is not a good idea.

That's kind of correct in theory, but not so much in practice.

Our old bumper pull toy hauler was a lot more susceptible to that. It was absolutely balanced with a load in mind. The tongue was very heavy when it wasn't loaded with our bikes inside.

Our garage model fifth wheel is completely different though. We've toured far and wide without the car in the garage (see map below) and it really doesn't make any difference. The larger 5er is so long and heavy that it doesn't matter if the tanks and garage are empty. It's heavy but stable either way.

Having said that, I wouldn't recommend getting the toy hauler if they don't really have a need for the garage. The garage is OK for kids to sleep in, but I wouldn't recommend it for adults. Ours has the double HappiJac beds (queen bed on top and convertible queen/dinette below). It's a good use of the space, but it doesn't have the comfort and amenities of a bedroom. I think a 5er with two bedrooms and baths would be a lot more comfortable.

The only exception is if they plan to dry camp while their home is being built. If that's the case, then I would absolutely go with a toy hauler because of the larger tanks, onboard generator, fuel stations, etc. If they go this route, they should plan to invest a little extra to add four batteries, an inverter, and a bunch of solar panels. It makes a huge difference. We mostly use our generator when it's hot out and we need to run the air conditioners. Otherwise, the solar panels keep the batteries charged up pretty well.

To reiterate on the weighting and balance though, I've been the moderator of the Toy Hauler Forum here for 15 years and I've never seen anybody complain about the ride in a fifth wheel with an empty garage. It really isn't an issue.

Good luck,
Dave

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/20 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As mentioned does the fella already have a tow vehicle? The snoring might be hard to avoid because youre trapped 20 feet away with a fake little wall between you.

You could get a front bedroom toyhauler. Lets the wife sleep up there. Then put another bed in the back of the trailer for the man. Could also bring in a residential couch and big screen TV. The couches that come on most trailers are not comfortable. Turn the toyhauler area into a little studio apt.

Ive been wanting to sell the chairs and couch that came with my toyhauler and get some household recliners and/or a couch.

samsontdog

Oregon, Wash Coast summer, Yuma Az winter

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/20 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the replys. My SIL has never towed anything other than a small trailer with a MC in the trailer and dump runs. My Daughter has never camped much except with us, her parents when she was young. He has a new 1/2 ton Dodge diesel which he loves but will buy a one ton dually to tow with. Someone told me about the Forest River Wildwood. I called and he said the Hideout has 2 bed rs and a bath and half. That sucker is 40 ft long!It is a TT 6ft9in height inside which would work for SIL at 6 ft 5. I will call and let them know about it

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Motor Home or Toy Hauler
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.