Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Best portable generators advise I have seen for years
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Best portable generators advise I have seen for years

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/20 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Sounds like you never had a chance to compare?
Generators on trailers are mounted low to the ground and can have long exhaust pipes that will direct exhaust long way from door and windows.
Such setup is not possible on TC.

Usually on a TC the gen set is at the rear of the TC away from seating and windows..There are exceptions..

On Class C motorhomes,I had one Onan 4000 right under the dinette window with the exhaust even with the skin of the unit..It was almost centered from front to rear..On another Class C it was under the rear door with the exhaust aimed to the rear under the bathroom..

You are referring to people mounting a Honda(example) in a sealed generator compartment of a TC with the exhaust piped out and away from the TC used as a factory install would be...Some have converted to propane on there honda just for that...

I see nothing at all wrong with that,you do so I guess we agree to disagree..It is no different than putting your portable gen set under the TC to keep it out of the rain in IMHO..Wind changes make any positioning of a gen set problematic and where common sense says..Move it..LOL

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/20 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

Wind changes make any positioning of a gen set problematic and where common sense says..Move it..LOL

Your common sense will pass out from CO poisoning long before it tells you to move the generator.

People think that if they gob enough silicone around that they're being "safe."

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/20 06:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

specta wrote:

...I don't see any difference in a factory installed generator in a TT, 5th wheel or TC. I'm sure everything would apply equally to each RV.

Sounds like you never had a chance to compare?
Generators on trailers are mounted low to the ground and can have long exhaust pipes that will direct exhaust long way from door and windows.
Such setup is not possible on TC.

How many people have died from the exhaust from factory installed generators?

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/20 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

How many people have died from the exhaust from factory installed generators?

I witnessed it almost kill a dog a few years back on a big 5th wheel toy hauler. The built-in generator was running, exhaust was going right in the side window, and when they came back from lunch the dog was unresponsive on the floor.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/20 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

I witnessed it almost kill a dog a few years back on a big 5th wheel toy hauler. The built-in generator was running, exhaust was going right in the side window, and when they came back from lunch the dog was unresponsive on the floor.

[emoticon]

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/20 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Laughing...This falls right in with catalytic heaters..They are safe if used properly..Anyone who has ever installed or read there Onan owners manual will see a part that says...ONLY YOU CAN PROTECT YOURSELF FROM CO POISONING..

Like the car exhaust,don't leave your window down if the winds blowing that way and check the exhaust for leaks etc..Factory installed generators are safe if used correctly as are Wave catalytic heaters..

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/20 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

Laughing...This falls right in with catalytic heaters..They are safe if used properly..Anyone who has ever installed or read there Onan owners manual will see a part that says... ONLY YOU CAN PROTECT YOURSELF FROM CO POISONING..

I totally agree.

[image]

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/20 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don’t think the dog knew what to do when the CO detector went off, but it seems like a person did.

People have died from CO in a car, too. Sometimes on purpose ... sometimes not. Usually in a garage.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/20 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

Laughing...This falls right in with catalytic heaters..They are safe if used properly....

So is using open flame over bucket of gasoline.
But consider the penalty for misuse.

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Best portable generators advise I have seen for years
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.