Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: NEW TOW VEHICLE ?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> NEW TOW VEHICLE ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/20 09:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our RV listed below has served us well. With 140K and a list of repairs we are cutting our loss and researching a slightly used TV. We would like 5K tow capacity. May get a non hybrid trailer soon. We are considering Ford Explorer, Dodge Durango and Nissan Path Finder. Any thoughts on these rigs or others? Our price range is a firm 25K max. Wiling to go two years old and will buy extended warranty. Throw us a bone

Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife & 4 Really Fun kids
2008 KIA Sedona 3.8L 24 valve V-6
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS">

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/20 09:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forgot to mention this will be our daily driver as well.

mleekamp

Washington, IL

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/20 04:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my opinion and experience, I would opt for a 4 door "crew cab" truck over the SUV's you mention. For example, the V6 versions of Ford have plenty of power for the lite unit you have, are much lower in price than V8 or ecoboost, and 6 seat arrangements can be found. Ford, Chevy, Dodge -- all would be fine. That is, unless a 3rd row seat in an SUV is a must.

Again, that is my opinion. If I had to pick from your 3 choices, I'd go the Durango. Why? Explorer has had issues. Nissan as a company is having issues. Lastly, in my opinion, i'd forgo the extended warranty -- just profit for the dealer.

But don't take my input except for this: go to NHSTA website (national highway and safety transportation admin) and look up each of your picks -- look at not just recalls, but customer complaints. No recall on a model but dozens and dozens of complaints about a transmission? I'd want to know. Go to Edmunds and look up family reviews (not pro reviews) of each model. Come to a conclusion based on NHSTA, Edmunds or other actual buyer reviews, and in-person drive/look.

I wish you good luck.

2019 Jayco Redhawk 29XK Class C, Ford V10 E450 with Roadmaster Hitch Mounted Spare Tire holder, Bigfoot Hydraulic Leveling

A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/20 05:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Coming from a car guy, the Explorer would be my first choice. Of course, it's a double-edged sword. Since the Durango and Pathfinder are far less desirable and less in demand than the Explorer, they naturally depreciate faster, and can provide a better 'deal' for the pre-owned buyer.

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/20 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Will this be a daily driver too? If yes, I wouldn't recommend the Durango for that. I'd consider it if it'll be a dedicated TV, but only the V8. The V6 can do it, but not well. It seems like it can never find a good gear when it's loaded heavy.

The Pathfinder is NOT a good TV for 5,000 pounds. It's low on torque, and has a CVT. CVT's are prone to early failure when low-speed torque is needed, because of the heat generated by the belt. And when the belt breaks, you have to just replace the transmission. The plates that makes up the "push" design" of the belt scatter all over, and trash everything else in there.

The Explorer is nice, and great for towing with the EcoBoost. My sister has a 2016. Bought with 15k and has 75k now. It's been back to the dealer a few times, but only for improper repairs from a rollover accident that didn't show on it's history. No issues other than those (broken roof-rack trim-clips, leaky windshield, butt-connectors on the rear-seatbelt-airbag system.

The one common issue to watch out is cooked PTU fluid. Changing it should be part of your new-vehicle inspection, and then change it regularly after towing. It gets too hot because of it's proximity to the exhaust, and you can't run synthetic because that would reduce the ability for the clutches to hold.

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Raife

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/20 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2015 Dodge Durango Citadel V8 with tow package and love it. It has been my daily driver for last 5 years and now tows our Grand Design Imagine XLS 21BHE (I have run through the CATs scales fully loaded and all my numbers are good: GVWR, GCWR, axles, payload, tongue, and trailer - it is 5,400 fully loaded). Don't expect great gas mileage with the V8...

Getting my Equal-i-zer hitch dialed in was key as the dealer screwed it up...

I had a 2004 Ford Explorer V8 prior and liked that as well. Although my Durango drives better and is more comfortable.

I can't say it has been problem free however...I had to replace the AC last year (but we live in central Texas and the AC gets a workout 7 months of the year) and I am working through getting the hub bearing replaced (I'm at 75K miles so a bit early). And I had some early issues with the sensors in the fuel fill pipe (it was all covered under warranty).

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/20 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Raife wrote:

The dealer adjusts the hitch based on the empty trailer you are driving off the lot. Then you get the trailer home and pack it up and everything changes, so the hitch needs to be re-adjusted. Why the dealers don't tell folks that upfront is a mystery.

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/20 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Episode 487 in the "Just enough truck" series of how to tow an RV.
Why not just buy a 1/2 ton pick up?

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/20 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With 4 kids who are presumably getting larger each year, you might consider looking at full size vans. They only get bigger with the years.

Once you get used to driving a full size truck, it's really not much different and if you are comparing to V8 SUVs you likely won't lose much on MPG.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Raife

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/20 11:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

Raife wrote:

The dealer adjusts the hitch based on the empty trailer you are driving off the lot. Then you get the trailer home and pack it up and everything changes, so the hitch needs to be re-adjusted. Why the dealers don't tell folks that upfront is a mystery.

Understood, but you think they could take a stab at getting it closer...off the lot is the only time it is truly empty. Even when we put it in storage between trips it is not "empty," just not quite completely loaded.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> NEW TOW VEHICLE ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.